Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Mark Clattenburg

Comments

• Options
    I tell thee more to this man than meets the eye
  • Options
    Go on then. (PM me if that's more appropriate)
  • Options
    Been dropped from games this weekend

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29813870
  • Options

Been dropped from games this weekend

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29813870

Always disliked Clattenburg even before I knew that he drove all the way to Newcastle to watch Ed Sheeran..
    Weird man.
  • Options
    I can think of much better reasons to drop him to be honest
  • Options
    I think Clattenburg and other celebrity refs need to be taken down a peg or two, they're getting a little too big for their boots for my liking. Not sure what business both a referee and a manager have calling each other, surely both should immediately recognise it's not on and both should be punished accordingly (Warnock should be fined and face a stadium ban IMHO). Reckon Clattenburg should ref some Conference games and get some grounding.

I can understand the rule regarding travelling to and from the ground together, but how far does the referee have to go with the other officials before they part ways? Do they all need to be taken home together or do they part ways halfway? A similar thing happened to me on an excursion at a previous employer where we were told that for insurance & security reasons me and 2 other colleagues couldn't all drive separately to & from the location we were going, even though this was massively more convenient for all of us, so we simply found a nearby pay & display, all drove there and walked the last 200 metres to the location. Can refs do the same?
  • Options
    Good to see the Premier League and FA are concentrating on the serious matters that plague Football at the moment.

Much more important to ban a ref for wanting to see Ed Sheeran than it is to get Referees to come out and explain decisions or to try and deal with diving etc...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Good to see the Premier League and FA are concentrating on the serious matters that plague Football at the moment.

Much more important to ban a ref for wanting to see Ed Sheeran than it is to get Referees to come out and explain decisions or to try and deal with diving etc...

exactly, jesus - so he didn't get the 'officials' team bus back to the hotel but he shot off to go to a concert.

don't particularly like the bloke, but this is ridiculous
  • Options
    Isn't Clatternburg a little old to be going to an Ed Sheeran concert?
  • Options
    One of our best referees but someone clearly has an agenda against him.
  • Options

Isn't Clatternburg a little old to be going to an Ed Sheeran concert?

He's 39........it's the new 38.

• Options
    "The referee body, the Professional Game Match Officials Limited, says officials must travel to and from the ground together for integrity and security."

Excuse me? Just what does that mean? Do they all live in the same house then? And there's no "integrity" at all in them all travelling together - just gives them more time to get their story straight. Even the Plod aren't allowed to write each others statements any more!
  • Options
    A very good referee but seemingly always surrounded by controversy .. in this era of greed, corruption and putting in the fix, it must be difficult to keep referees and other officials on the straight and narrow
  • Options
    The issue was not so much the traveling more the fact he had a private conversation with Neil Warnock who phoned him after tha game and no one is there to witness it. Now why has Warnock or any manager got the match refs mobile no?
  • Options
    So who grassed him up then? Only him and Warnock had the conversation.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

If the ref is deemed as honest, there's no reason to explain the decisions. It won't make them any more palletable. If the Lino from the Fulham game came out and explained his mistake, which it obviously was, I'd be just as pissed about it.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

If the ref is deemed as honest, there's no reason to explain the decisions. It won't make them any more palletable. If the Lino from the Fulham game came out and explained his mistake, which it obviously was, I'd be just as pissed about it.
    To be honest if that Lino came out afterwards and said one of two things

- (1) I've watched it back I stand by my decision that it went off a Charlton player OR
    - (2) Look I've seen it again I made a mistake and have a apologised to the Team / Manager

Either way I'd be more respectful because they've either admitted that they're human and that they made mistakes or two they've explained why they've made their decision... Instead all you seem to get at the moment is an attitude from the Officials is that its a tough job (which I also understand), that they rarely make errors and that they dont need to explain themselves like everyone else does in Football
  • Options
    Fiiiiiish said:

cafcfan said:

"The referee body, the Professional Game Match Officials Limited, says officials must travel to and from the ground together for integrity and security."

Excuse me? Just what does that mean? Do they all live in the same house then? And there's no "integrity" at all in them all travelling together - just gives them more time to get their story straight. Even the Plod aren't allowed to write each others statements any more!

Refs all live in a big house like The Waltons.
    Can just imagine it now...

Goodnight "wan*er in the black"

Goodnight "you're not fit to"

Goodnight "f-ing useless tw@t"

All back: Goodnight Grandma!!

;-)
  • Options
    iaitch said:

Colin?
  • Options

iaitch said:

Colin?
    Thanks Colin!
  • Options

JiMMy 85 said:

To be honest if that Lino came out afterwards and said one of two things

- (1) I've watched it back I stand by my decision that it went off a Charlton player OR
    - (2) Look I've seen it again I made a mistake and have a apologised to the Team / Manager

Either way I'd be more respectful because they've either admitted that they're human and that they made mistakes or two they've explained why they've made their decision... Instead all you seem to get at the moment is an attitude from the Officials is that its a tough job (which I also understand), that they rarely make errors and that they dont need to explain themselves like everyone else does in Football
    I think that's looking in the wrong place. It seems mad to me that we might insist referees justify their decisions when players are willing to do absolutely everything in their power to fool them.

Refereeing can only truly work with the cooperation of the players involved. An honour system. Without that, we ask the human brain to do something it's not capable of achieving 100% of the time, and then give that brain dog's abuse if it is tricked by the people it's trying to help. It's a system that will and does fail.

Footballers have no honour. Even the nice guys. Christ, you sometimes see two opposing players argue with the ref about a decision, shout at him relentlessly, and then give each other a wink as they acknowledge the truth! And we're expecting the ref to explain his mistake?

I don't need the Fulham lino to tell me he made a mistake, I know it, and if shown the replay, he'd likely admit it and as you say, apologise. What will almost never happen, is the player who knew the truth will never own up and allow the ref to correct the decision. And in this twisted world, we're cool with that.
  • Options
    Not sure if it is related to the phone call but warnock seemed fair by his standards in his comments about the ref on MOTD, twice praising him for having a good game despite obvious errors that cost palace. Would be interesting to know what was said in that call.
  • Options
    Warnock is good at pointing out errors by officials, he's never that quick to point out any errors in his tactics or team selections or by his players.
  • Options

Not sure if it is related to the phone call but warnock seemed fair by his standards in his comments about the ref on MOTD, twice praising him for having a good game despite obvious errors that cost palace. Would be interesting to know what was said in that call.

Think that was done on purpose he pointed out the errors then quickly said he had a good game, most likely cos he got in trouble last week.

and who knows maybe in the phone call Clattenburg has promised to give him a penalty next time so he was being nice to try and get him as ref again soon
  • Options
    iaitch said:

His 'friend' who left the car with Clattenburg in it alone in the driver's seat.