Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Covered End----Memories

Comments

• stonemuse said:

Lots of Covered Enders (Middle Park and Cherry Orchard) in the below pics from the Tunisia tour

Don;t think anybody has mentioned Deano Palmer, Middle Park boy, I was a bit younger than Deano but all that Middle Park lot of that era were mad, the Mercer;s, Lilley's ( was in the same primary class as Tina and she was worse than all her brothers), Middle Park was proper Charlton back in the 70's.

Know Deano v well, still see him
    Don't know Deano personally, been in his company a few times, he was a little bit older than me, I remember coming out of school (Eaglesfield) Deano was also coming out the gate at he same time, we were playing Chelsea that evening (I'm sure it was the infamous Chelsea game) Deano turned to this lad who was walking out with a Chelsea scarf and told him what he'd do to him if he saw him down Charlton, also remember seeing him in one of the Sunday papers after we'd played Millwall for the first time back at The Valley., there was a picture of him bashing 2 Millwall supporters but the headline described HIM as the Millwall supporter. Deano went to Bloomfield School but when it merged with Shooters Hill Grammar School he became one of the first Eaglesfield pupils.

• Wolves away in the cup in 1976 was one of the best turnouts I can remember.100 plus coaches and loads of people on the special trains.
  • Wolves away in the cup in 1976 was one of the best turnouts I can remember.100 plus coaches and loads of people on the special trains.

Never forget that one, even my sister went, bloody John Richards and the crowd was 32,000+ I believe....we stood near the front of the South Bank, whilst my brother in law stood nearer the back with the lads.
  • All these memories.....a great read.....the two stand-outs in my head were taking the North Bank at Highbury in a Cup game.....and a cup game away at Ipswich (might have been 77/78) Paul mariner playing for them we held it to 0-0 at HT I believe and they scored 2 in second half.....missiles being lobbed by Town supporters over a high netting that seperated us from them...us lobbing stuff back...on the way out of the ground I was tripped over by a group of Town lads.....stood up and walked towards them and they ran off.....my arse was squeaking and if they stood their ground I would have been mincemeat.....then I turned round to see half a dozen or so CE lads backing me up!!! and there was me thinking I'd chased them away on my own!!! Great memories.
  • All these memories.....a great read.....the two stand-outs in my head were taking the North Bank at Highbury in a Cup game.....and a cup game away at Ipswich (might have been 77/78) Paul mariner playing for them we held it to 0-0 at HT I believe and they scored 2 in second half.....missiles being lobbed by Town supporters over a high netting that seperated us from them...us lobbing stuff back...on the way out of the ground I was tripped over by a group of Town lads.....stood up and walked towards them and they ran off.....my arse was squeaking and if they stood their ground I would have been mincemeat.....then I turned round to see half a dozen or so CE lads backing me up!!! and there was me thinking I'd chased them away on my own!!! Great memories.

Jonny Wank scored that day, we lost 2-0 sure that was early 80's.?
  • It was the promotion season from Div 3 80-81, Mike Bailey was manager. We had huge support that day, it was so loud in the away pens! Remember that song " Shaddupa ya face"!
  • Thought so, remember the day fairly well, train up from Liverpool St....drinking in Dirty Dicks after the game.
  • Another good turnout for an away cup tie was at spurs when we drew 1-1. Pub crawl afterwards was a bit lively.
  • Another good turnout for an away cup tie was at spurs when we drew 1-1. Pub crawl afterwards was a bit lively.

We were packed into two/three pens, then they opened another up which relieved the pressure, a bit like an egg timer, certainly was pretty lively afterwards.
  • Sponsored links:

• Ha, Ipswich away in that cup game!I bunked off my Sat morning job for that at the Butchers shop called my butcher on Well Hall! He paid me a tenner for working 2 hours Tues,Weds,Thurs,Fri after school and 4 hours Sat morning and tried to make me feel guilt for not turning up that Sat when I turned back in to work the following Tues! I told him to stuff it as he was a millwall mug! I then got a job at 15 working at the Welcomme Inn washing up £65 a week 5 nights and not Sats! Result!
  • Lots of comments already made that I can relate to on this thread. Aggro was never too far away in those days and for young men and impressionable lads they were heady and exciting times, standing shoulder to shoulder with your mates.

We should never want to return to those times but the thrill for those involved is undeniable.

Harlow away FAC 1980 was 'interesting' as was the Chesterfield car incident in 1975.

It was Luton away (1978 I believe) when at the bottom of the steps leading up to the terracing, there were some of their lads at the top taking on all comers. It seems that I was nominated by the blokes behind me, pushing me up the stairs. Flight was not possible and I was shoved up there rather quickly so to avoid damage to me I had to do damage to them. The first was cracked and sent behind head first into the baying mob. The next was quickly sorted and on his toes. Dunno what happened the others(if there were any others, of course I am sure I told people that there were dozens at the time).

This brief encounter gave me great kudos in certain sections for many seasons after as it was always mentioned as though I had a choice.
  • Remember Harlow away,all stood on a wet grassy bank. Essex police let a few police dogs loose among the mayhem. A number of our fans got bitten and chucked out. Maidstone away was great fun,floodlight failure and a part of the terrace had freshly laid cement on it. Plus a load of forged tickets(photocopied?)were said to be used.
  • Remember Harlow away,all stood on a wet grassy bank. Essex police let a few police dogs loose among the mayhem. A number of our fans got bitten and chucked out. Maidstone away was great fun,floodlight failure and a part of the terrace had freshly laid cement on it. Plus a load of forged tickets(photocopied?)were said to be used.

If you went by train to Maidstone, you might have seen one poor sap not let on the train by OB even though the train was sat there for ages with all other Charlton on it and I was last on to the platform. Buggers! Of course I was that sap.

Got to be one of my favourite away games, meeting and drinking in the pub in North Woolwich, going to Spurs via Stratford and the turn out was amazing, got very lively after the game, us and them all mingling in together, loads of sneaky right handers thrown.
  • I think the Maidstone game was where they made an announcement over the tannoy that Charlton fans had ten minutes before the London trains were due to leave. Also their programme had a comment about hoping the "Lunatic fringe" would not ruin the match. I missed the replay with spurs,but i heard it got out of hand in the Covered end.

Got to be one of my favourite away games, meeting and drinking in the pub in North Woolwich, going to Spurs via Stratford and the turn out was amazing, got very lively after the game, us and them all mingling in together, loads of sneaky right handers thrown.
    Car load of us to Spurs for that one. Plenty of drinks before of course. Got bored with waiting to try and get out of a side road after, so I stood in front of the main road traffic and let out loads of Charlton cars from the side road. At least the Charlton fans liked it.
  • They werent in the CE they were on the half way line and some of the older Eltham got a thumping as you couldnt get out of the CE . one well known face was stabbed in Woolwich ,
  • Does anyone remember the game against palarse during the 74/75 season when their player Alan whittle fell in a puddle near the covered end. Also there wasn't too many palarse around because a Charlton fan got stabbed in a park at the game at selhurst. The atmosphere that night was electric.
  • Does anyone remember the game against palarse during the 74/75 season when their player Alan whittle fell in a puddle near the covered end. Also there wasn't too many palarse around because a Charlton fan got stabbed in a park at the game at selhurst. The atmosphere that night was electric.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2012
    I wasn't really a covered end boy ,I lurked on the East Terrace but over the years met some of the characters talked about.

I knew Spanker through his very different brother Don and understand that he still comes occasionally mainly at football for a fiver type occasions.Don on the other hand is still a regular and has a five year season ticket.

I met Aggro Dad a few times.My favourite story he tells is of an away game he saw in the early 70's at Swansea where he could only see half of the pitch.

For those who do not know Swansea prison is behind the Swans old Vetch Field Ground and AD was there at Her Majesty's pleasure and on a Saturday they would allow the inmates on to the roof to have a restricted view of the match.
  • E-cafc said:

Ah......The Covered End! That tatty steel shed with concrete steps and steel crash barriers(well, until they put bloody seats in it) where I spent a hell of a lot of my younger days. Always arrived very early on a Saturday for when the turnstiles opened at 1.30pm. Only lived up on Springfield Grove so it was only a short walk down the hill. Evening games used to get there about 7.15pm. Loved the floodlit games in those days!

One of my best was the Stoke City League Cup game, unbelievable atmosphere that night when we thought we had earned a replay after being 0.2 down only for them to nick it in the very last minute with a penalty from a young Garth Crooks.

Loved watching the place come to life as the build up to the game started and the singing got going. All of your mates turning up. Eating a pie from downstairs and a packet of ready salted crisps in those white packets(did they actually sell any other flavours?)

Getting someone older to buy us a beer at half time down in the bar and joining in with all of the older lot.

The smell of hamburgers and cigarette smoke wafting through the place and the sound of "Programs) or "Roasted peanuts, get your roasted peanuts" as the nut seller struggled to make his way through the crowds.

Always looking at how many away fans were coming in and getting nervous as kick-off time approached. Booing the opposition team as they came out and sending out a huge roar for the mighty Reds when they emerged. The singing and atmosphere now really building for the game.

The singing, the surging, the sense of belonging to something were what drove people on to keep coming back no matter how the team were performing.

Remember the buzz going around with people talking about the previous weeks away game and whether it kicked of for not. Or planning the next weeks away game and the meeting points.

Looking out and judging the size of the crowd by how many fans were on the East Terrace. The team kicking towards our end in the 2nd half, cranking up the atmosphere another notch or two. The banter between the different parts of the end and all leaving as one seething mass.

It seems like yesterday when I used to stand in the beloved Covered End and the friends I made back then in the 70`s and still see today make it all worthwhile.

It was all a long time ago and there were plenty of ups and downs and a few scary moments and depressing times as a whole for the club but given the chance I would give anything to be able to go back and do the whole thing again!

The memory of The Covered End will never fade for those who were lucky enough to know her!

Top post, so many memories.

• I looked up the 74/75 Friday night game against palarse in the home&away book and it states the attendance was higher than the 26000+ that was recorded,because a few people got in when they opened the gates to let an ambulance in. Apperently some fans contacted the club and paid up. Would they have been so honest if we had lost 1-0 instead of winning it?
  • Who remembers the plain clothed OB who used try and mingle with the Herbert's in the bar at half-time? They used to stand out a mile. We'd all be dressed in jeans and DM's and they'd be dressed like something out of the Sweeney.
  • Who remembers the plain clothed OB who used try and mingle with the Herbert's in the bar at half-time? They used to stand out a mile. We'd all be dressed in jeans and DM's and they'd be dressed like something out of the Sweeney.

waste of their time, trying to infiltrate lol
  • E-cafc said:

It was all a long time ago and there were plenty of ups and downs and a few scary moments and depressing times as a whole for the club but given the chance I would give anything to be able to go back and do the whole thing again!

The memory of The Covered End will never fade for those who were lucky enough to know her!

superb post

I was standing behind the goal one day and three blokes bowled up in jeans and boots (they got that bit right) but with bloody huge rosettes pinned on their jumpers. This was before everyone became fashion victims in the 80's, but it was so incongrous it sort of screamed "undercover coppers". It was at the south end, vs someone with no fans, quite what they were going to uncover was unclear.

• Not OB Big Willie, what you witnessed was the embryonic beginnings of the legendary CL Red Wedge... "power to the peepole!"
  • Not OB Big Willie, what you witnessed was the embryonic beginnings of the legendary CL Red Wedge... "power to the peepole!"

Hmmm...the choice of knitwear should have been a clue, on reflection

It was a mate of mine who was stabbed at the away game I was 13 he was 15,hadnt seen him for years once we left school then after the play off final on the tube we piled into the carriage and he was a few feet away topped the day off for me as we had been through some rough times following charlton but was both there at one of our finest moments,only bettered for me by the day we returned to the valley