Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Covered End----Memories

Comments

• Options
    I was only created in 77 and ain't got a scooby about most of who you're all talking about, but love reading these memoirs. Nice one GH pal!
  • Options
    Badger said: Barry Rolfe, Charlton boy, anyone remember?.

Knew him well Badger we used to drink together on Friday nights at The Newbridge club and he came to my 21st which was held at the Charlton Con club. Haven't seen him for years but he was a lovely guy.
  • Options
    I remember one Saturday meeting in Woolwich and deciding to do a pub crawl all the w ay to the Valley. Have no idea whatthe game was or the score ! sadly now you would be drying of thrist if you attempted it.

What about the cage !!!!!!!!!!!! no ne has mentioned the cage. If you were lucky you went in one door and out the other. If not you went in the cage. was in there once with Big selwyn with a Blackburn lad crying his eyes out(well Big s was a bit scary) he gobbed off so much to the plod we were nano seconds from getting filled in (they did in them days) so we had to tell him to shut the f**k up or he wouldnt be going back to Blackburn for a few weeks !
  • Options
    Arsenal testimonial was 82/83, I distinctly remember most of their firm being black and wearing ski hats.

Denton was their top boy, died a few yeasr back as someone else said, got a mutual mate who went to the funeral, some of you may remember a right tear up at the Forresters in Southend one year after a game (92/93), chairs, tables, benches all going through the windows as this mob of Gooners locked themselves in when it came on top, Denton was one of them, RIP Duncan Frame.
  • Options

stonemuse said:

Lots of Covered Enders (Middle Park and Cherry Orchard) in the below pics from the Tunisia tour

Don;t think anybody has mentioned Deano Palmer, Middle Park boy, I was a bit younger than Deano but all that Middle Park lot of that era were mad, the Mercer;s, Lilley's ( was in the same primary class as Tina and she was worse than all her brothers), Middle Park was proper Charlton back in the 70's.

I went to school there, lived in the cul-de-sac nearer badgers sports ground end.

• Options
    A great chap also was Don! He ran a stall down in Woolwich and a great bloke! Loved his stories from the day and hope he is well?
  • Options
    Tavern said:

A great chap also was Don! He ran a stall down in Woolwich and a great bloke! Loved his stories from the day and hope he is well?

Curtain stall?
  • Options
    Not sure BIG ROB
  • Options
    If its Don Walters, I'm good mates with his son Damo.
  • Options
    Yes Don Walters mate, great bloke!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He is indeed pal, one of the funniest blokes I've met. His son is a good lad too!
  • Options
    Brilliant bloke BIG ROB! I had a beer on the train with Don back in the early 80s coming back from Bolton! We always had a bit of a laugh from then on and hit it off with him mate.
  • Options

Badger said: Barry Rolfe, Charlton boy, anyone remember?.

Knew him well Badger we used to drink together on Friday nights at The Newbridge club and he came to my 21st which was held at the Charlton Con club. Haven't seen him for years but he was a lovely guy.

He stopped going a while back, but a really top bloke.
  • Options
    wot about Billy M use to drive coaches and drank in The We Anchor in Hope long hair always had an old bobble hat on
  • Options
    Billy Martin, god have not seen him for years !
  • Options
    The day when we went back to clear the Valley of the weeds and pikeys and crap --it was a sunday and it was raining. I wasnt going i was driving past on the way to my parents hse in Barnehurst. I thought "raining--no one will be there" but i stopped and walked in.
    Been said many times on here how many turned up.

but the thing that blew me away was after i stood there on me own watching what was going on i walked behind the CE and went up to stand near where we used to stand and f++k me 4 mates who i use to go with were siting there ! none of us arranged it---no mobile phones. We sat there for a good while in silence and then someone said "f++k this lets have a beer" the spell was gone and we went to the RO.

The Valley is special and the CE is its heart (to the old uns)
  • Options
    cup

does any one remember the away game at Mansfield in 1978? Had to change trains at nottingham and were using the same train as chelsea who played forest. Buffet bar was forced open and looted,until police got on at wellingborough. it was in the. news of the
    world the next Sunday. somebody had a go at one of their reporter or something.

Yep i was on that train, the Met got on at mill hill and threw loads of us off, no night buses in them days, kin long walk to charing X
  • Options

Billy Martin, god have not seen him for years !

They used to live near theGreen Man, Shoulder of Mutton Green, I was good mates with his brother Kenny....he still goes, sits in the East Stand

• Options
    This might be a long shot, looking at the stories from a young persons perspective is really interesting. I posted in September that I was doing a dissertation on Social Problems in Football (Hooliganism and Racism mainly). I've met with Cass Pennant, but would be nice to speak to someone involved with Charlton, so if anybody fancies talking to me informally about your experiences that would be great. Inbox me if you want to.
  • Options
    I remember standing in the CE in 65 against Bham.They managed to get behind us and some Bham .... hit me over the head with a bottle.Carted of to St Alfeges for stitches and the way I was bandaged up I only needed a rifle to lean on and I looked like someone coming back from the Civil War.I was only 14 for gods sake!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Let it never been called the north stand again
  • Options
    DA9DA9
    edited December 2012
    Indie Boy said:

This might be a long shot, looking at the stories from a young persons perspective is really interesting. I posted in September that I was doing a dissertation on Social Problems in Football (Hooliganism and Racism mainly). I've met with Cass Pennant, but would be nice to speak to someone involved with Charlton, so if anybody fancies talking to me informally about your experiences that would be great. Inbox me if you want to.

Speaking from experience, unless its the likes of Cass whose in it now for publicity for book sales, you will struggle, met Cass, nice enough guy, also know Andy Nicholls (sic) the Everton lad who did the A-Z books, I did the majority of the Charlton content for that book, although I still dont own a copy.

• Options
    and i was "the vetran" in it cheeky f++ker
  • Options

but the thing that blew me away was after i stood there on me own watching what was going on i walked behind the CE and went up to stand near where we used to stand and f++k me 4 mates who i use to go with were siting there ! none of us arranged it---no mobile phones. We sat there for a good while in silence and then someone said "f++k this lets have a beer" the spell was gone and we went to the RO.

Lazy buggers....should have come and given me a hand with the pick and shovel :-)
  • Options

stonemuse said:

Lots of Covered Enders (Middle Park and Cherry Orchard) in the below pics from the Tunisia tour

Don;t think anybody has mentioned Deano Palmer, Middle Park boy, I was a bit younger than Deano but all that Middle Park lot of that era were mad, the Mercer;s, Lilley's ( was in the same primary class as Tina and she was worse than all her brothers), Middle Park was proper Charlton back in the 70's.

Know Deano v well, still see him
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

If its Don Walters, I'm good mates with his son Damo.

know both of them well too, brilliant thread and some cracking stories.

• Options

:-)

• Options

Could've been OAP
  • Options
    France is still flamable fella !!!
  • Options

France is still flamable fella !!!

I'm in UK!