Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Football's "darkest" outposts

Comments

• edited November 2012
    I have to say, that having followed Charlton away for 35 years, there are many worse places than Burnley (what I saw of it). We went into a decent boozer, with decent fans & there was no hint of any trouble in the slightest.

Hull, Stockport, Boro etc seem far worse.
  • The only thing that spoils Burnley is the locals, although most in The Talbot were fine
  • Oldham is the highest football ground in England I imagine very bleak on a December afternoon.

Even worse on a Tuesday night...
    ...in the fog ! Were you there that evening, Algarve ?

Yep...
    Couldn't see you.....

I may have been facing the wrong way...

• Oldham is the highest football ground in England I imagine very bleak on a December afternoon.

Even worse on a Tuesday night...
    ...in the fog ! Were you there that evening, Algarve ?

Yep...
    Was that the Andy Jones miss from 2 yards on the plastic pitch night ?

No, but I was there that night too...

• Never been there but Hartlepool would have to be the bleakest outpost I could think of.
  • Burnley is grim......Maine Road was too....and a bit scary if you werent a local.

Burnden Park was too...I used to walk past it every week for about 9 years....lovely people if you knew them though.
  • Has got to be northwih Victoria, back end of know where had to walk through a field to get there and bexcept the ground there was little else
  • Agree with you on Grimsby, took an age to get there on the train after changing at Newark.
  • My dad and I got lost in Moss Side before the Jensen 30 yard tackle game! A local came out and couldn't have been move helpful!

As for Macclesfield, which sounds like a horrible Northern outpost, Carlos Tevez lives there according to the leaked payslip.
  • Sponsored links:

• I seem to remember a Tuesday night at Walsall's old ground being grim. Probably had something to do with conceding a last minute equaliser
  • Rochdale no question for me, awful area.

I'm sure it's WBA.

What about Port Vale as an outpost? There even a place called port vale.
    Did he mean smell wise? Lots of glue factories nearby.
  • Clydebank was like something out of Mad Max.

For England, steering clear of the northern sterotypes Gillingham and Crawley do fairly good impersonations of hellholes.

Blackpool is decent shout too, complete zombie of a town, still shuffling around groaning and consuming desparate holiday makers not realising that it died years ago.
  • The away end at Yeovil...
  • I remember going on the Junior Reds coach to Port Vale in the early 90's, we played against their junior counterparts in the morning on the playing fields directly behind Vale Park......seriously it was one of the bleakest scenes you could imagine.

Saying that though, subsequent visits to Port Vale have been alright.

So my winners would be M'Boro (just a horrible town), Stockport (ditto) and does anyone really honestly like going to Birmingham?!
  • Tranmere, Hartlepool, Carlisle and Newport County.

If you have done those you have earnt your stripes.
  • Stockport seemed nice when i went..friendly locals and good beers.
  • crystal palace
  • I quite liked Hartlepool.

Had a great evening there a couple of years back and a nice walk along the seafront in the morning.

Even made a special trip to see the Andy Capp statue. Mind you, that was shite.
  • Sponsored links:

• on our doorstep......Dagenham & Redbridge.....
  • For me it has to be Ayresome Park Middlebrough ,what that guy from Brazil thought of it i have no idea.Bleak town,run down pubs,and the locals well frightening to say the least.
    As for some on here saying Grimsby for me one of my favorite trips always look forward to that one.
  • For me it has to be Ayresome Park Middlebrough ,what that guy from Brazil thought of it i have no idea.Bleak town,run down pubs,and the locals well frightening to say the least.
    As for some on here saying Grimsby for me one of my favorite trips always look forward to that one.

Just out of interest why was that Lewis?
  • edited November 2012
    Deep fried mars bar ?

Juninho?

Never played at Ayresome Park, only at the Riverside.

• Grimsby was and still is one of my favorite away games, first went there in 1993 just after cup game at Leeds,travelled by train instead of coach.Able to have a drink or two on the train.Sunny day in Feb the beach at Cleethorpes ,the pubs on and near the station real ale,whole end behind the goal and only the dedicated fans in attendance.Overall agood day out but we did go down 1-0 that day.
    Ayresome Park had no change made to it since world cup back in 1966,stuck in corner of ground,outside toilets with hole in the roof ,one main street ,shit pubs and industry that had seen better days everywhere,as for the locals.
  • SheffieldRed.........Bet Juninho never lived in Middlebrough.Enough said.
  • Grimsby was and still is one of my favorite away games, first went there in 1993 just after cup game at Leeds,travelled by train instead of coach.Able to have a drink or two on the train.Sunny day in Feb the beach at Cleethorpes ,the pubs on and near the station real ale,whole end behind the goal and only the dedicated fans in attendance.Overall agood day out but we did go down 1-0 that day.
    Ayresome Park had no change made to it since world cup back in 1966,stuck in corner of ground,outside toilets with hole in the roof ,one main street ,shit pubs and industry that had seen better days everywhere,as for the locals.

Spot on mate. Was at that game cos Grimsby's quite local for me so been there a few times in the 90s. Was the Italian fella playing for them that day? Forgot his name, Benito something? And remember the sex shop on the main row of shops? Never went in tho. I really enjoyed our games there and as you say, only for the diehards.
    Got chased in Middlesbrough last time we played at Ayresome.Shit myself I'll admit. And we lost 1-0. Good times.
  • The italian was not playing that day but a guy called Mendonca was.
    Cleethorpes also has great fish and chips when you have finished your beer.
  • My sister used to follow Welling and the place she really thought was the end of the world was Merthyr Tydfil.
    "They really hated us" she said.