Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Football's "darkest" outposts

Although I have admittedly never been to Turf Moor Burnley always conjures up images of a dark northern outpost of football - a grey and intimidating place with an old school stadium and passionate but slightly unstable fans.

I always thought the same about places like Grimsby so I my question is what would you consider to be footballs "darkest outposts" (whether you have or haven't actually visited them!).

Fk

Comments

• Options
    Barnsley was always pretty grim.
  • Options
    carlisle
  • Options
    I always imagine a cold Tuesday night in November isn't the time you wanna be playing Macclesfield away
  • Options
    Carlisle is a bloody long way, but we seem to like it up there. Actually I would have thought Scandanavia has some pretty dark outposts.
  • Options
    Burnley is not the end of the world, but you can see it from there.
  • Options

Carlisle is a bloody long way, but we seem to like it up there. Actually I would have thought Scandanavia has some pretty dark outposts.

Not so much in Denmark. It's a pretty small country so the distances between grounds is not vast. I suppose that somewhere like Esbjerg (fishing town on the West Coast of Jutland) or Sønderjysk (close to the German border) would be considered Denmark's "darkest" outposts.

Much more so in Norway and Sweden. I was in Trømso once and that's a pretty long way from anywhere!
  • Options
    Accrington Stanley is another one. I don't even know where it is!
  • Options

I always imagine a cold Tuesday night in November isn't the time you wanna be playing Macclesfield away

Macclesfield is actually very middle class!
  • Options
    Grimsby. Hands down.
  • Options

Who are they?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rotherham in the 80s dead steel city muddy track to get to the ground ---total kak hole.

we lost 3 nil !
  • Options
    Hartlepool seems to be freezing whatever time of year you go.
  • Options
    yeovil in the rain.....
  • Options
    Hull.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    roker park on a tuesday night back in the day sticks in my mind, stuck out like a sore thumb in so many ways, from fashion to obviously the accent, pugged up in a pub near the ground and kept ourselves to ourselves, could feel the stares but just had to ignore it... felt a very long way from home that night but deep down i loved it and felt i was earning my stripes as a lad, happy memories really.

any northern town back then as a young lad made me feel on edge almost as soon as you step off the train, wouldnt change it though, good times and laughs were had, all in the name of charlton athletic f.c.
  • Options

Neither did I until it was the stop before burnley!
  • Options
    Oldham is the highest football ground in England I imagine very bleak on a December afternoon.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Barnsley was always pretty grim.

Always found the people there very friendly though D.

Not totally northern, but the Victoria ground was a bleak place.
  • Options

Oldham is the highest football ground in England I imagine very bleak on a December afternoon.

Even worse on a Tuesday night...
  • Options
    The North
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scunthorpe.
  • Options
    Middlesboro'
    Scunthorpe
    Morecombe
    GRIM-sby
    Barnsley
    Carlisle
    Plymouth

And for some reason Peterboro'
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Stevenage.

not really because its a dark place to go, its just one boring town.
  • Options
    Carlisle's alright. Long way but easy to get to, and not too bad a place.

I'm gonna go for Grimsby, awful journey midweek and freezing. I'd imagine somewhere like Morcombe would be horrific as well.
  • Options
    Peterborough?

Cracking day out, decent pubs and not far out from London.
  • Options

...in the fog ! Were you there that evening, Algarve ?

• Options

...in the fog ! Were you there that evening, Algarve ?

Yep...
  • Options

Rotherham in the 80s dead steel city muddy track to get to the ground ---total kak hole.

we lost 3 nil !

100% this.............. and Burnley
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    as our train pulled into hartlepool a couple of years ago someone had painted 'it's grim here' on a bridge.

to be fair, i've been to a lot worse places