Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Football's "darkest" outposts

Comments

• Grimsby and hull

Sunderland and Middlesbrough

Quite enjoyed scunny old school football

Carlisle will always be my 2nd favourite ground after the valley
  • edited November 2012

Oldham is the highest football ground in England I imagine very bleak on a December afternoon.

I'm sure it's WBA.

What about Port Vale as an outpost? There even a place called port vale.
  • edited November 2012
    sam3110 said:

Middlesboro'
    Scunthorpe
    Morecombe
    GRIM-sby
    Barnsley
    Carlisle
    Plymouth

And for some reason Peterboro'

no way can Morecombe's new ground be included in this list
  • Port Vale
  • The old open terrace at Barnsley was pretty chilly, although their fans were decent enough and the pies were world class. And, I won fifteen quid on the scratchcard on the train for the first scorer, pity it was their number 9.

Those two trips to Rotherham in the early 80's were bloody miserable, the 3-0 was bad enough, but 75 year old Rodney Fern condemning us to defeat on a freezing New Years day made you think we were cursed.

Ayresome Park in December was pretty bleak....
  • Anywhere but The Valley always seems pretty bleak and soulless to me
  • Oldham is the highest football ground in England I imagine very bleak on a December afternoon.

Even worse on a Tuesday night...
    ...in the fog ! Were you there that evening, Algarve ?

Yep...
    Was that the Andy Jones miss from 2 yards on the plastic pitch night ?

• Burnley is the waiting room for The Jeremy Kyle Show.
  • middlesborough ....other than footy can think of no other reason for the place to be mentioned ...........pubs still sell mead in flagons ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
  • Sponsored links:

• It would be interesting to know what northern fans make of Charlton on a wintery tuesday night, coming out of the station and turning right is not exactly a pretty sight.
  • It would be interesting to know what northern fans make of Charlton on a wintery tuesday night, coming out of the station and turning right is not exactly a pretty sight.

It makes this 'northerners' heart sing ;o)
  • Addickted said:

Burnley is the waiting room for The Jeremy Kyle Show.

thought that was in Luton

• edited November 2012

It would be interesting to know what northern fans make of Charlton on a wintery tuesday night, coming out of the station and turning right is not exactly a pretty sight.

Paradise ,,,,they walk round looking for gold on the streets,,,,

• Am surprised no one mentioned the old Den. Imagine Cold Blow Lane on a misty tueday evening.
  • The old Den was an awful souless journey on foot. The tunnels were very scary.
  • adrian said:

Am surprised no one mentioned the old Den. Imagine Cold Blow Lane on a misty tueday evening.

Indeed. I can't think of anywhere worse i've been.
  • jdsd42 said:

It would be interesting to know what northern fans make of Charlton on a wintery tuesday night, coming out of the station and turning right is not exactly a pretty sight.

Paradise ,,,,they walk round looking for gold on the streets,,,,

Most are hypnotised by the street lights and dumstruck at the sight of cars that can seemingly support their own weight without the need to be propped up with bricks.
  • Palace is pretty grim.
  • Oldham is horrendous. Near Manchester but seems like it's a million miles from civilisation.
  • Sponsored links:

• I always imagine a cold Tuesday night in November isn't the time you wanna be playing Macclesfield away

Hey. I used to own a cottage not too far from there and went to see Macc play a few times. Nice little ground, friendly punters and some nice pubs not too far away.
  • Cold Blow Lane----says it all.

Under old railway sidings----------a shit hole

Jordan Jago wanted to re-name it Montego Bay Road !!! like that would make that sess pit look any better.
  • Went to Rotherham Apr 66 - match called off because of snow. Desolate and unwelcoming town - if not the end of the world it must be at least a suburb.
  • Can't believe I forgot to mention Gillingham...the Burnley of the south.
  • Grimsby. Hands down.

and new clee station

• Baseball Ground - Derby's previous haunt, only ground where I was ever in trouble.
  • Elland road in the mid eighties . Approaching it in winter via the m1 is like being imprisoned at Colditz castle but occupied bycomedy guards with mullets and mustaches .
  • Went to Rotherham Apr 66 - match called off because of snow. Desolate and unwelcoming town - if not the end of the world it must be at least a suburb.

No, the next stop :-)

• Oldham is the highest football ground in England I imagine very bleak on a December afternoon.

Even worse on a Tuesday night...
    ...in the fog ! Were you there that evening, Algarve ?

Yep...
    Couldn't see you.....

• Went to watch Merthyr Tidfil play and have to say The whole place was Grim... went to A night game at Macclesfield vs Scunthorpe and a bit out the way but although it was freezing cold they sold a nice pie.
    Whitby Town is a nice non league ground but it's an outpost in terms of getting there.