Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The big music question

124»

Comments

• Options
    Completely agree with all of the above
  • Options
    No way is Eminem overrated. There is simply no one better. The things he does with words no one else is doing or has ever done. I get that people didn't like Recovery because of Pink, Rhianna etc but the rapping is insane, punchlines everywhere, flow breathtaking. Then there was Hell the Sequel with Royce da 5 9, again unbelievable skills.
  • Options
    Hell The Sequel was classic Eminem, and it was great to hear Royce again. Everything since Marshall Mathers LP has been too commerical.
  • Options
    Talking about white rappers how about 3rd Bass? Anyone?
  • Options

The only white rappers worth mentioning in a heavyweight context are Mike Diamond, Adam Horowitz and Adam Yauch (RIP).
  • Options
    Remember collecting the street sounds,great soul funk albums up to about 20 i think when all of a sudden they changed to hip hop then i gave up as wasnt my thing back then
    Maybee i missed out as seems to be still going strong
  • Options
    P_Air said:

The only white rappers worth mentioning in a heavyweight context are Mike Diamond, Adam Horowitz and Adam Yauch (RIP).
    Patently untrue. Although the Beasties are (were) awesome, 3rd Bass are great - MC Serch is fantastically talented. There are a whole host of other excellent white MCs as well. Aesop Rock is a lyrical genius, as is Sage - and El-P is off the charts in inventiveness. Best of the lot though, for me, is MC 900 Ft Jesus. If you like hip-hop with intelligence, wit and an experimental feel, give 'Hell With The Lid Off' and 'One Step Ahead Of The Spider' a go. Both absolute, bona-fide genre classics.
  • Options

P_Air said:

Patently untrue. Although the Beasties are (were) awesome, 3rd Bass are great - MC Serch is fantastically talented. There are a whole host of other excellent white MCs as well. Aesop Rock is a lyrical genius, as is Sage - and El-P is off the charts in inventiveness. Best of the lot though, for me, is MC 900 Ft Jesus. If you like hip-hop with intelligence, wit and an experimental feel, give 'Hell With The Lid Off' and 'One Step Ahead Of The Spider' a go. Both absolute, bona-fide genre classics.
    Don't forget Rittz as well.
  • Options

P_Air said:

Haha! I thought someone might disagree! I was referring to three artists that have/had been at the top or their game for 30 years. I have no doubt that there are other fantastic white hip hop/rap artists out there, but none can top the influence that the Beastie Boys have had. Of course, this is just my opinion! =)
  • Options
    Slug rips, was the man in Atmosphere and now superb. Saw him live in Hamburg , was magnificent.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That's why I fucked your bitch, you fat motherfucker!
  • Options

Its not exactly Wordsworth is it?
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Its not exactly Wordsworth is it?

i thought it was taken from romeo and juliet?
  • Options
    masicat said:

Slug rips, was the man in Atmosphere and now superb. Saw him live in Hamburg , was magnificent.

Beat me to it. Slug is very good and atmosphere defiantly rule in the alternative hip hop department. Very good group
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    If you know how to talk fast and say the right words you will become a rapper, that's it. Anyone can do that with practice so I seriously can not see any talent in rapping at all. Eminem is overrated because all he can do is Rap. If you gave Eminem a song where he has to sing and Rap he would fail because part of the song would sound rubbish because he would not be able to sing. I only find a rapper talented when he/she can sing and Rap.

However, I don't mind some rapping Arist's like Pitbull, Flo Rida, Dizziee Rascal and Akon but if you really go back to the old school times then you have quality artists like Suger Hill Gang and Run DMC etc. If you like talent rapping then these are the Artist's you need to listen to rather than the Eminem crap.

If I have to pick the best song that involes rapping then it would be this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFK6H_CcuX8

• Options
    I'm trying to find a part of the last post that isn't total bollocks. Nope, can't find it.
  • Options
    Sorry Adam, but you cannot class Flo Rida, Pitbull, Akon or Dizzee Rascal (bar his first album) in the same league as any of the decent rappers mentioned in this thread. They are all poor, commercial, money-making pop stars imo.
  • Options
    Ross said:

Sorry Adam, but you cannot class Flo Rida, Pitbull, Akon or Dizzee Rascal (bar his first album) in the same league as any of the decent rappers mentioned in this thread. They are all poor, commercial, money-making pop stars imo.

Well I obviously prefer the money making pop stars lol

I listened to a couple of Artist's mentioned in this thread and I switched off after 50 seconds, I just don't rate that kind of stuff at all.
  • Options
    Seriously don't waste your time trying to convince people that can't hear it. I absolutely despair when I see the X Factor, hear the radio and look at the chart most of the time BUT at the same time, I'm quite glad that my favourite genre isn't nearly as ubiquitous as all that stuff. 

For example, I'm STILL spinning Nas Life is Good. It's hardly been out of my CD player since it dropped. To me it's almost perfect, quite possibly his best since Illmatic. Yet one of the reasons it still sounds great to me is that MY CD player is practically the only place I've heard it. If Nas came out of the radio every time I turned it on, I'd probably get sick of him, and end up resenting the artist for far too much radio play, something he doesn't control.

Imagine you're in a restaurant, eating the best, most expensive steak you've ever had, surrounded by people eating tripe, who are unable to appreciate the brilliance of your food. Don't waste your energy or risk compromising the integrity of what you've got by trying to convince people, just smile and keep your mouth shut.
  • Options
    ohh yes my two favourite albums this year are Nas - Life is Good and Kendrick Lamar - Good Kid, M.A.A,d city - here are some excellent tracks from both

Nas - Daughters (brilliant video as well)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xP4_0z2M85Q

Nas ft Amy Winehouse - Cherry Wine
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=446OTXgP308

Nas - Bye Baby
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnDCIl_LtUg

Kendrick Lamar - Swimming Pools
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-ejyHzz3XE

Kendrick Lamar - B**** Dont Kill My Vibe
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBnDYdWlF0k

Kendrick Lamar - Real ft Anna Wise
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQnDiaXlHLs

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just got round to getting Kendrick Lamar's album. Brilliant!
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:

Imagine you're in a restaurant, eating the best, most expensive steak you've ever had, surrounded by people eating tripe, who are unable to appreciate the brilliance of your food. Don't waste your energy or risk compromising the integrity of what you've got by trying to convince people, just smile and keep your mouth shut.

What, like you just did?
  • Options
    It's on a hip hop thread though..why would you even read let alone post if you're not interested? I wouldn't have brought it up anywhere else. I've never understood that attitude. There's plenty of things which aren't to my taste, genres of music, sport etc but I would never enter into a discussion with those people criticising it. Why bother?
  • Options
    The title of the thread was "The Big Music Question" though JS99, how were we supposed to know it was about shouting over someone else's tune... ;-)