Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The big music question

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2012
    Macronate said:

It's a culture, it's a state of mind, it's a language, it's fashion, it's a style, it's something you feel every moment of your day. Hip hop is not commercial shit, hip hop is deep, it has a meaning for each person. You don't just listen to hip hop music, you feel it, you respect it, understand it, share it.

i just think some of it sounds alright, but yeah...
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

Biggie, not even a debate

The sane answer
  • Options
    edited October 2012
  • Options
    Neither, IMO.

There were far better rappers at the time they were at their biggest. People like:

The Pharcyde
    Jurassic 5
    Gang Starr
    Q-Tip

Maybe different styles but ultimately all these were/are better rappers, IMO.
  • Options
    Where's ma keys, where's ma phone.
  • Options
    Macronate said:

It's a culture, it's a state of mind, it's a language, it's fashion, it's a style, it's something you feel every moment of your day. Opera is not commercial shit, Opera is deep, it has a meaning for each person. You don't just listen to Opera music, you feel it, you respect it, understand it, share it.

You can say that about any style of music that you like. Personally I wouldn't cos it sounds poncey, but you could! ;o)
  • Options
    Kriss Kross always made me wanna jump
  • Options
    John Barnes
  • Options
    Not the old Opera v Hip Hop debate again please. You all know how much this polarises people and soon leads to tears and name calling
  • Options
    P_Air said:

Neither, IMO.

There were far better rappers at the time they were at their biggest. People like:

The Pharcyde
    Jurassic 5
    Gang Starr
    Q-Tip

I agree there were/are better rappers than the two mentioned in the OP, the original question didn't ask who was the best ever. Just out of those 2 which is the best.

And anyway you left Nas off your list
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    colthe3rd said:

P_Air said:

Neither, IMO.

The Pharcyde
    Jurassic 5
    Gang Starr
    Q-Tip

I agree there were/are better rappers than the two mentioned in the OP, the original question didn't ask who was the best ever. Just out of those 2 which is the best.

And anyway you left Nas off your list
    I think they were both as crap as each other. That's what I meant to put ;-)
  • Options

Not the old Opera v Hip Hop debate again please. You all know how much this polarises people and soon leads to tears and name calling

**Closes can of worms**
  • Options
    Biggie smalls, by a mile

For Everyone slating theses two artist's i recomend that you watch, an old documentary called
    (tupac vs Notorious , a rivalry explained)
    One of the greatest documentary ive seen such an interesting story
  • Options
    I would also say watch Notorious, the film based on Biggie's life. Excellent film IMO
  • Options
    Both overrated, overhyped shit. Real rap is JMT, Jeru, Cannibal Ox, Nas, Company Flow, Black Sheep, Public Enemy, Beasties, Black Moon, Pharcyde, Ice Cube, Mobb Deep, Mos Def etc. That Hype Williams/Ja Rule/Notorious BIG/Tupac/P-Diddy/Jay-Z shit is embarrassing - it's like comparing Depeche Mode with Boyzone.
  • Options
    Out of the two would have to say Biggie, his flow and tone was phenomenal at times but I was never a massive fan of either. Like others have said there were/are better artists around like Brand Nubian (love Sadat X's nasal tone), Tribe Called Quest, Gang Starr, Black Sheep, Diamond D, Common, Talib Kweli etc etc. Special mention to B Real of Cypress Hill - absolutely looove his style.
  • Options
    edited October 2012

Both overrated, overhyped shit. Real rap is JMT, Jeru, Cannibal Ox, Nas, Company Flow, Black Sheep, Public Enemy, Beasties, Black Moon, Pharcyde, Ice Cube, Mobb Deep, Mos Def etc. That Hype Williams/Ja Rule/Notorious BIG/Tupac/P-Diddy/Jay-Z shit is embarrassing - it's like comparing Depeche Mode with Boyzone.

Ha do me a favour, but i suppose it's your taste !
  • Options
    Macronate said:

i have poor taste.

i hate poor taste
  • Options
    2Pac had better songs, but couldn't stand him in interviews - came across as the biggest knob going.
  • Options
    Completely depends on what you're asking.

Best rapper - BIG
    Best catalogue - Pac
    Best flow - BIG
    Best lyrics - Pac
    Best beats - BIG
    Most potent - Pac

Who had a higher proportion of forgettable songs - Tupac
    Who was the hardest working - Tupac
    Who was the best storyteller - BIG
    Who was the best human being - Tupac

But personally, who would I rather listen to? Easily Tupac
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Don't even understand the question - felt very old when I opened this thread.
  • Options
    Anyone else think Tupac would have been a huge success as an actor? Juice is a quality film, Poetic Justice bit 'meh'. Thought he was superb in Gridlock'd.
  • Options

Anyone else think Tupac would have been a huge success as an actor? Juice is a quality film, Poetic Justice bit 'meh'. Thought he was superb in Gridlock'd.

which one was it that he was along side tim roth? thats was a good film.
  • Options
    @Karim_myBagheri. That was Gridlock'd mate. The chemistry between Pac and Tim Roth was excellent.

• Options
    Stig said:

Don't even understand the question - felt very old when I opened this thread.

I'm sure Perry Como had his own phat beats Stig. He'd have some freestyle battles in his day ;o
  • Options

Sorry but I think that's very unfair to compare Big and 2pac to those. I agree they were both overrated but at least they did have a story to tell and most of the time told it very well. Early Jay Z to an extent as well but the crap that is flooding out of America at the moment is absolute crap.

Saying that though true East coast stuff is having a bit of a revival, downloaded some excellent mixtapes from some promising people.
  • Options
    @colthe3rd. East coast every time boyee!
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Here are some examples of music not in the mainstream... much more meaning and substance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xVEa0SMxFg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0aCvTT4IJA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhVEwMe0bLs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ3Ijpqco40

you may or may not like these songs, you may not like hip hop, but i hope these examples show you cant tar all hip hop music with the same brush
  • Options
    P_Air said:

Neither, IMO.

The Pharcyde
    Jurassic 5
    Gang Starr
    Q-Tip

Obviously j5 made better music and guru/dj prem where an unbeatable mix. But the big v 2pak is a more common debate. Not saying either was the best ever though
  • Options
    The best is whoever fucked the most bitches and popped the most n*gg*s

Ridiculous music