Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The week that was - 5th March 1983 Charlton 5 Chelsea 2

Comments

• Options
    Simonsen said:
    Definitely a Saturday afternoon and in bright sunshine. Chelsea wore their yellow strip, Joey Jones (with his armful of tats) got their lot going in the warm up with his clenched fist routine and I can remember Clive Walker being clean through almost straight from kick off (Johns saved). Their two goals just after half time which got them back to 2-2 produced an amazing amount of noise from their 6,000 madmen. It looked like we would fold, but we suddenly went on the rampage and in about 15 minutes we were 5-2 up and cruising!!! You simply do get afternoons like that anymore...it had almost everything and even proper Chelsea supporters today recall that game with a certain amount nostalgia, mainly for the brilliance of the Simonsen goals. For those that weren't there, think Ricky Villa v Man City in the FA Cup Final and you'll have some idea of what the goals looked like.

PS: I'm sure Billy King had a video of this game but it never did surface into the "public domain." Billy, don't know if you are one the Lifers on here but if so, does my memory serve me right?
    Well....that's aged well! Yellow/blue....pretty much the same! And as for the Ricky Villa comparison....I'll get me coat...

But it was a superb game, viewed from high up on the East Terrace and Simonsen was unplayable. 
  • Options
    Unusual for us to score 5 goals & none scored by Killer
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    Joe...that's actually much better quality than the other Finches video I once saw from that season (Fulham 3-0). Have you enhanced it in any way? 
    Cheers. It is from the Finches video...I tried to tidy it up on the edit, well at least the best I knew how to.
  • Options
    Like the video of the Battle of the Bridge which made its way onto here a few years ago that brought back great memories. 
  • Options
    Great video. Those were the days.
  • Options
    Thanks for loading that mate.
    My memory for detail is fading fast with age, so it is great to see footage from back in the day.
    And hey, it's always great to stuff Chelsea
  • Options
    Yes thanks for that as was there but never seen that. I do remember the videos being advertised at the time but never seen one before 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I was a 15 year old always thrilled to see Simonsen playing in our shirt. Although I was an East Terrace regular, I remember watching the second half from the front of the Covered End, I think because my Grandad who I used to go with wasn't there that day, and the class with which Simonsen seemed to pass his goals into the net in slow motion, kind of just causally rolled them in stranding the opposition. Can't wait to see this again on the video thank you so much @joeaddick!

Wasn't aware and fortunately missed the action outside afterwards, as you could then walk freely around the home areas, and I climbed the East Terrace and exited the Bartram Gate as normal, catching the 75 bus by Charlton Park.
  • Options
    If someone wants to take my video of the Bolton v Charlton 4-1 game in 1983 I think and tidy it up they'd be most welcome. One down on last day of the season before Killer saved us with a brace. Further goals from Gritt and Harris. 
    Another extremely memorable game!  Killer stepped up 10 gears when the chips were down.
  • Options
    McCartney said:
    Yes thanks for that as was there but never seen that. I do remember the videos being advertised at the time but never seen one before 
    Finches in Forest Hill produced them I think, but they were too expensive.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    If someone wants to take my video of the Bolton v Charlton 4-1 game in 1983 I think and tidy it up they'd be most welcome. One down on last day of the season before Killer saved us with a brace. Further goals from Gritt and Harris. 
    I would love to see this. I sat in the West stand in front of the directors box and I got Mark Hulyer to sign my programme after the game. He was punching the air at full time and looked mightily relieved.
    Do you remember the Bolton fans dancing at the foot of the West Stand when Moore put them ahead?

They got dogs abuse thereafter. We were standing on that little terracing between the West and the Covered end. Great memories. 
  • Options
    Nice video. Brings it all back.
  • Options
    I would love to see this. I sat in the West stand in front of the directors box and I got Mark Hulyer to sign my programme after the game. He was punching the air at full time and looked mightily relieved.
    Do you remember the Bolton fans dancing at the foot of the West Stand when Moore put them ahead?

They got dogs abuse thereafter. We were standing on that little terracing between the West and the Covered end. Great memories. 
    Yeah, remember feeling sick when they scored. Although I’d seen us relegated a few years earlier, it had been inevitable for ages before it was confirmed. I was 15 and just beginning to really get the bug and travel home and away, I’d have been gutted if we’d been relegated like that.
  • Options
    Somehow missed this game. Might have been playing football for the Boys Brigade although in my brain I always had it down as a Tues night game as that was BB night & I distinctly remember hearing on the radio one evening that we had beaten Chelsea 5-2 !!
  • Options
    Somehow missed this game. Might have been playing football for the Boys Brigade although in my brain I always had it down as a Tues night game as that was BB night & I distinctly remember hearing on the radio one evening that we had beaten Chelsea 5-2 !!
    No wonder you've been pissed off ever since :smile:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Simonsen said:
    Brilliant JoeAddick....many thanks. I've been after seeing this video for years! But in a way, I wish I hadn't watched it. The Simmo goals are excellent but not quite as excellent as I thought I remembered them. I'll have to change my username now........!! 

It was a great game...much discussed on this forum and oh, how to be entertained like that again one day! 
    Yes agree Simo, my memory was a bit different, his first goal I thought was his second & thought he had run straight through the centre beating 3 or 4 of theirs before slipping it under the keeper. I also didn't remember the seats being in the Covered End at that time either. 
  • Options

Maybe give it to Joe to do another great edit (?) From memory, not a lot happened in the 1st half but obviously from Bolton's goal onwards, should make great viewing! 
  • Options
    Nice one @joeaddick, great to see that again.

I have three abiding memories from that game.

It was the only game I saw where the rest of the team seemed to be on the same wavelength as Simonsen, which is what made it look like his best game for us.

After they equalised in the 57th minute, they began a rendition of their One Man Went To Mo song ( you can hear them singing it through the clips between their goal and our third). I missed Harris' goal as I was watching the Chelsea fans as they all stood up and sang the final verse, clapping as they did so "TEN MEN WENT TO........." just as the goal went in. Brilliant! Four minutes of singing wasted!

The other memory involved my Chelsea supporting mate from work. He had been off work for 14 months after having a motorbike accident where his shin was broken in seven places. He returned to work just the day before, then went to the game, then to the pub afterwards to drown his sorrows, so a lot of time on his feet. When he got home, he laid on his bed for a bit as his leg was aching. Got up for a piss and it broke again! He was off for another six months! No mobiles then, but I managed to send him a letter via his parents with all the newspaper match reports from the game for him to read in hospital.
    This is the real tragedy of Simonsen's brief stay. The players were benefitting from playing with him and some like Hales and Harris  could understand him all along.

This clip reminded me what a good player Carl Harris was pre injury. 
  • Options
    A memorable game for me. It was the only game that I can recall my mother coming to. Although she always took in an interest in Charlton, she never came to The Valley - except for this one. I'm not sure why she chose this game. Perhaps, because Chelsea were a big name. Strangely, I remember Chelsea's first goal and Charlton's last goal reasonably clearly; I've no recall of the rest.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Richard J said:

It was the only game I saw where the rest of the team seemed to be on the same wavelength as Simonsen, which is what made it look like his best game for us.

After they equalised in the 57th minute, they began a rendition of their One Man Went To Mo song ( you can hear them singing it through the clips between their goal and our third). I missed Harris' goal as I was watching the Chelsea fans as they all stood up and sang the final verse, clapping as they did so "TEN MEN WENT TO........." just as the goal went in. Brilliant! Four minutes of singing wasted!

The other memory involved my Chelsea supporting mate from work. He had been off work for 14 months after having a motorbike accident where his shin was broken in seven places. He returned to work just the day before, then went to the game, then to the pub afterwards to drown his sorrows, so a lot of time on his feet. When he got home, he laid on his bed for a bit as his leg was aching. Got up for a piss and it broke again! He was off for another six months! No mobiles then, but I managed to send him a letter via his parents with all the newspaper match reports from the game for him to read in hospital.
    This is the real tragedy of Simonsen's brief stay. The players were benefitting from playing with him and some like Hales and Harris  could understand him all along.

Agree that Harris was a consistently good player. Probably didn't get quite enough goals but was always a threat. The injury came and he was almost completely forgotten about (as was the way back then...) and was totally ineffective on his brief come-back. Seemed to leave the club without anyone knowing (again...as was the way back then...) 
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    Richard J said:

Agree that Harris was a consistently good player. Probably didn't get quite enough goals but was always a threat. The injury came and he was almost completely forgotten about (as was the way back then...) and was totally ineffective on his brief come-back. Seemed to leave the club without anyone knowing (again...as was the way back then...) 
    I think Lennie wanted to sign him for 85/86 he was in the pre season team photo, but Carl decided to try his luck back at Leeds on trial.
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    Richard J said:

He was one of my favourite players of that era.
  • Options

It wasn't his fault, but I think Harris one of the (many) reasons CAFC was wound up in 1984; we owed Leeds for the transfer and they ended up seeking a winding-up order, together with the inland revenue and probably a few others.

I always thought that him and Killer were on Simonsens wavelength, some of the others obviously weren't. Great to see that film of the Chelsea match, I could still picture Simonsens goals after all these years but not the rest.

• Options
    edited October 2020
    A couple of Leeds sites talking about Carl Harris . He was quite a prospect there . I was excited when we signed him .

Apparently Man Utd were interested when he signed for us .

https://www.leeds-fans.org.uk/leeds/players/166.html

This is how he describes his time with us in the below article . an early example of being ' Charltonised' through injury ? @Simonsen this confirms what I posted above .

Leeds suffered relegation at the end of the season and Carl Harris moved on to Charlton Athletic in a £100,000 deal:

“Looking back I was a bit hasty joining Charlton. There was interest from Manchester United but Tony Collins, their chief scout, told me they were hanging on as they believed they could get me for £60,000.

"I enjoyed my time at Charlton but I suffered with a few injuries and one of them was a double hernia which Charlton diagnosed as a pelvic strain. When my time was up at The Valley I was offered a one year contract but decided to move on."

At one stage it looked very much like Harris was heading back to Elland Road:

“Eddie Gray wanted me back at Leeds and I played a few games in the Central League to prove my fitness. A deal was imminent and Eddie got the sack which meant it all fell through. I was very disappointed."

https://www.sheridan-dictates.com/he-wore-the-white-shirt-carl-harris.php