Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

£2bn Paramount Theme park in Kent

12346»

Comments

• Options
    Many years ago I was walking down there with my kids (they played a game called Geocashing, where you track down items hidden by other people using GPS), and there were some kids swimming in one of the lakes which was electric blue in colour - I said to them I didn’t think it was a good idea to swim in there, and they said they did it quite a lot in the summer - I dread to think what health problems they have now !!
    Going back to the 1920’s in a book written by my father, he describes theses pits and the water which they used to swim in, sadly he lost a mate there, when they jumped in, his mate never resurfaced, they assumed the weeds claimed him, and he wasn’t the only one to drown there in those days.
    It’s noticeable that birds never land on the water that is a weird colour - clearly they are not stupid

There are no fish in them either….
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    Good, Kent especially anywhere near Dartford does not need the extra traffic this would create.
    If the park doesn't go in there then they'll cram 10,000 houses on it and increase the traffic that way.  One way or the other they will not aloow it to sit as wasteland now 
    Heavily contaminated land - once was the largest cement factory in Europe - some of the lakes on the land are a very strange colour indeed - if the park doesn’t go ahead, it will need a developer with deep pockets to remediate the land so that housing can go on there, and the developer would I agree need to be able to build a huge amount of units to make the finances stack up
    We could get a grant from the EU to assist with decontamination……oh wait.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Swisdom said:
    Good, Kent especially anywhere near Dartford does not need the extra traffic this would create.
    If the park doesn't go in there then they'll cram 10,000 houses on it and increase the traffic that way.  One way or the other they will not aloow it to sit as wasteland now 
    It isn't a wasteland it is a Site of Special Scientific Interest, home to many endangered species.  We need to keep places like this for wildlife which is in a massive amount of trouble.

https://www.kentwildlifetrust.org.uk/news/call-swanscombe-marshes-be-designated-site-special-scientific-interest

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/swanscombe-peninsula-gets-national-recognition-as-an-sssi
  • Options
    This was the cement works in 1939 - and it got bigger than that post war - massive place - opened 1845 - closed 1990 - imagine how much crap was buried / dumped around the area over all that time

• Options
    Wasn’t the O2 site contaminated?
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    Wasn’t the O2 site contaminated?
    Yes - but the rules regards remediation have been ramped up since then I suspect
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    See Euro Disney been shut by environmental health
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    See Euro Disney been shut by environmental health
    Don’t do it @Gribbo ….
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not all the lakes on that site are contaminated.
    There are plenty that house birds.
    When we lived there & walked through it regularly there were loads of herons & egrets nesting. Plenty of twitchers would go there too.
    Especially near where the Mad Max/Waterworld place was.
  • Options
    Many years ago I was walking down there with my kids (they played a game called Geocashing, where you track down items hidden by other people using GPS), and there were some kids swimming in one of the lakes which was electric blue in colour - I said to them I didn’t think it was a good idea to swim in there, and they said they did it quite a lot in the summer - I dread to think what health problems they have now !!

As blue as this? Apparently crystal clear natural water with lots of wildlife in and around the lake.

• Options
    Swisdom said:
    Heavily contaminated land - once was the largest cement factory in Europe - some of the lakes on the land are a very strange colour indeed - if the park doesn’t go ahead, it will need a developer with deep pockets to remediate the land so that housing can go on there, and the developer would I agree need to be able to build a huge amount of units to make the finances stack up
    Are you derailing the thread and reminding people about the shitshow that has followed the vote to leave, which hasn’t happened because of the situation in Ireland, yet morons still repeat the lie that the UK has ‘got Brexit done?
    Be careful SHG you risk a ban. 
    Safer to contribute to one of the misogynist threads.
  • Options
    That's how people grow up to become Ebbsfleet fans  ;)
  • Options
    That's how people grow up to become Ebbsfleet fans  ;)
    Oy Oy
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Swisdom said:
    Are you derailing the thread and reminding people about the shitshow that has followed the vote to leave, which hasn’t happened because of the situation in Ireland, yet morons still repeat the lie that the UK has ‘got Brexit done?
    this did make me chuckle Seth
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

As blue as this? Apparently crystal clear natural water with lots of wildlife in and around the lake.

Ha !!

I can’t get a decent overhead shot of the blue lake I am referring to, however here is one of the lakes on the site, which looks to me as containing something nasty

• Options
    that lake is behind a 10 foot high fence 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    that lake is behind a 10 foot high fence 
    Correct - but it’s still pretty nasty
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I was down there the other day, the new Thames Path doesn't seem very new - they've just stuck up some signs and there are still padlocked gates. I could only get about 3/4 mile east of Ebbsfleet's football ground.

Nice walk or jog though if you know where you're going, if I go off the gravel paths I tend to find deep mud. Hopefully it does stay the way it is, we've already lost of a lot of marshland & wildlife habitat west of there. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Swisdom said:
    Pathetic attempt to derail a thread due to your narrow political obession Seth.
  • Options
    PY Gerbeau is such a grifter