Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

£2bn Paramount Theme park in Kent

Comments

• Options
    Plans for a giant new £2bn theme park set to rival Disneyland Paris have been derailed - thanks to a colony of rare jumping spiders.

The theme park will be twice the size of the Olympic Park, will create 27,000 jobs and be the third biggest theme park in the world - only if the special arachnids are removed.

An environmental audit of the 872-acre brownfield site in the Swanscombe Peninsula, Kent, has found it is one of two sites in the UK where the critters dwell. The spiders are protected on a biodiversity priority species list.

London Resort Company Holdings, the consortium behind the Paramount theme park will now have to find a new home for the colony.

The Paramount scheme, supported by Paramount Pictures, aims to create Europe's largest indoor water park with theatres, live music venues, attractions, cinemas, restaurants and hotels.

Tony Sefton, project director for LRCH, said there are plans to create a 27-acre wetland wildlife park on the site.

He said: "We will look after the spiders. We're doing a good thing."
  • Options
    Spiders, yum yum

• Options
    edited April 2013
    Just tarmac it over and get building

Forget the water park, just build big rollercoasters.
  • Options
    Forget the Rollercoasters - build huge Water parks.
  • Options
    Sometimes you just wanna give up don't you?

Aracronids have been around for billions of years, they will be around long after we as a species are gone.

Longest recession in living memory people crying out for jobs...

I am off to shoot myself.

• Options
    Why do they need water parks when they can just go for a swim in the Estuary? :-)
  • Options
    Put these rare spiders in a glass box and charge people to see them. Simples.
  • Options
    I can't think of a worse job than walking around catching spiders
  • Options

Aracronids have been around for billions of years, they will be around long after we as a species are gone.

Things like this happen all the time and it won't affect the park. I think Redrobo has got this right, build a spiderhouse around them and have it as another exhibition.
  • Options
    too cold for a theme park anyway now we've entered another Ice Age.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2013

Things like this happen all the time and it won't affect the park. I think Redrobo has got this right, build a spiderhouse around them and have it as another exhibition.
    Absolutely, but sometimes, just once, you know what I mean ?

Just feckin get on with it, part of the plans as I remember was a study that suggested we may need a new river crossing, REALLY? how the hell did anyone work that one out? no shit Sherlock !

grinds me down... off for a chill pill now
  • Options
    Looks like it's finally heading in the right direction....am certain Varney and Ebbsfleet will be very pleased with that news.
  • Options
    Hopefully buying a flat in the next few weeks out towards Shorne and Thong...

Hoping that in a few years when they start to build this Theme Park and what with everything else going on in the area, the prices will start to rise giving me a nice profit
  • Options

Hoping that in a few years when they start to build this Theme Park and what with everything else going on in the area, the prices will start to rise giving me a nice profit

Indeed, FA but you'll be a prisoner in that mega bucks house of yours when all the roads in the locality are gridlocked.

:-)

• Options
    Looking forward to the Clara Oswald ride...
  • Options
    Can't wait for this to open. I for one am 100% behind this and I live in ingress park in greenhithe so it will be right one my door steep. It will bring lots of jobs and money to the area which it needs.
  • Options

Indeed, FA but you'll be a prisoner in that mega bucks house of yours when all the roads in the locality are gridlocked.

:-)

In addition to which you could well be hemmed in my a future Thames crossing. Then it'll be 'Shorne used to be a lovely place until they built the East Tilbury bridge'.
  • Options
    Odd, not opening for 5/6 years but they could have Sherlock, Dr Who and Top Gear themes?

The speed that trends move on these days, by 2020 those concepts could have as much relevance as Rag, Tag and Bobtail.

Perhaps Plan B is a replica desert caliphate?
  • Options
    I live in Greenhithe and the roads round here are bad at the best if times. We already have Bluewater which at Christmas time and busy periods makes it almost impossible to drive anywhere now this looks like it's happening , grest.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

You think living next to a theme park will raise house prices? It might actually blight the area.
  • Options

You think living next to a theme park will raise house prices? It might actually blight the area.
    Might increase demand whilst its being built though...

Nor is it just going to be a theme park
  • Options
    As long as private money pays for the necessary upgrades to the road network then fine. Plenty of jobs for the Russians, Africans and eastern Europeans who have been bored since the Olympic site was finished.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    I think the expectation is that the government will foot the bill for the major road upgrades around Bean/Ebbsfleet, and a Crossrail extension to cope with this.

Still to be convinced it'll happen, signing in principle deals for rights is all well and good, but building and making the place financially stack up is another.
  • Options
    If PV is involved and thinks its viable, it will happen.
    He is superb when it comes to delivering long term visions, just take a look at The Valley and the job he did with CAFC.
  • Options
    it will just be another Euro Itchy & Scratchy Land.
  • Options
    Macronate said:

it will just be another Euro Itchy & Scratchy Land.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    Heard on Radio Kent this week that access was going to be from the M20 junction 8, not sure how true that is , or when or if its actually going to ever get the go ahead, but found this interesting article, love the bit about the Cocaine getting smuggled back in some of the rides in Germany!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/picturegalleries/11600861/The-worlds-eeriest-abandoned-theme-parks.html?frame=3301685
  • Options

Heard on Radio Kent this week that access was going to be from the M20 junction 8, not sure how true that is , or when or if its actually going to ever get the go ahead, but found this interesting article, love the bit about the Cocaine getting smuggled back in some of the rides in Germany!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/picturegalleries/11600861/The-worlds-eeriest-abandoned-theme-parks.html?frame=3301685

Bloomin' heck that would be a long drive and project from the M20 going to Swanscombe, be a good idea to ensure that the A2 doesnt get packed (i.e. along with Bluewater) but what about when operation stack strikes?
  • Options
    I live in Dartford and went to one of the consultations last week.

There is to be 1 road in, and 1 road out of the park. Anyone wanting to go will access it via the A2 and an access road will be built, hopefully ensuring traffic in and around Dartford will not become gridlocked.

We were told that the only vehicles able to access the park from another route will be emergency vehicles, and buses.