Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

fence decision..

Comments

• Options
    are you planning on sitting on it?
  • Options
    We got our done via an ad in the Newsshopper. I think they were advertising 50ft feather edge,concrete spurs and gravels for £700.

Its not harder than it looks, most people with a bit of nous can do it but who wants to did holes in heavy london clay?
  • Options
    Susie, I went from...

and...

to...

and...

...in 4 months with just me and my parents working weekends and evenings for just under £1,800 for the lot. The fence, all 10 panels of it, came to just under £1k, including posts, gravelboards, concrete, fixings etc.

I was quoted £1,600 minimum just to do the fence by two local companies so the old man decided we'd do it ourselves. Absolutely killed us but was worth it in the end. Technically its not difficult but its time consuming and physical. I dont have fond memories of digging out the holes for the posts. Jeez, it was in the 80s when I done that too!

We got most of the wood from Weatherley Fencing on North Cray Road and when they couldnt get stuff in because of the wood shortage in the summer, we used the fencing company just outside Welling Station. All very reasonable prices.
  • Options
    Very nice mate
    More satisfying when you do it yourself
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    This Garden Is Brought To You By The Game Minecraft
  • Options
    yes @johnboyUK did see those on facebook. do your parents fancy another go now that they are experts? I want ours done in a day I've only got a tiny garden!

@buckshee I'll have you know he's very handy these days!! (as long as it doesn't involve being up a ladder!)

@sillav nitram definately not - would have to dig pretty deep foundations if so!

The charlton fan recommended to me earlier on the thread is coming round on saturday morning to have a look and give a quote. Will get a couple more quotes on saturday and then if too expensive will hot foot it down to a shop to buy the panels ourselves and then get a handy man to fit.

in better news - our boiler was replaced yesterday and I've burnt myself twice already on our very hot shower!
  • Options
    Johnboy
    You seem to have a garden with no house in the first photo.
    Please explain.

top job by the family though - looks right proper now.
  • Options
    Maisonette with garden split for upstairs and downstairs I think
  • Options
    Suzi, I've some fellas doing fencing and gates etc. They are very good, I went on the My Builder website and posted what I wanted they replied and then quoted. These guys are from Essex and have travelled all the way down here to work so Sidcup wouldn't be an issue.
  • Options
    Get the panels and do it yourself, do you need concrete posts?.

I used the place next to welling station, very reasonable prices and delivery was spot on, would recommend checking
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Anyone know of any fence firms that will cover the Leysdown area? Driving me mad now. Not got time to do it myself and been quoted £1000 to fit 6 panels 7 posts. Having a laugh ain't they!?
  • Options
    smiffyboy said:

Maisonette with garden split for upstairs and downstairs I think

And you would be correct sir. I've got the 1st floor.
  • Options

Get the panels and do it yourself, do you need concrete posts?.

I used the place next to welling station, very reasonable prices and delivery was spot on, would recommend checking

I think if you are DIY Savvy it probably doesn't seem like that big a job. but I'd literally have no idea where to start. ie what ties the panels together? what keeps them in the ground? how do you measure how many you need? what if you don't need a full panel? how do you join it to the house at one end? i dont know if i need concrete posts, but just assumed that was the best way for the fence to stay up? is wood more expensive than concrete?

I'm not expecting you to answer these questions, but these questions amongst a million others - including 'what if it takes up every weekend between now and easter' is rushing through my head since it blew down.

obviously I'd love to be skilled and 'handy' enough to manage to be able to do it, i just dont think in the limited time I have available to do it, i'd be able to do it at all, let alone a decent enough job for cheap without damaging our neighbours garden, our garden, myself, my husband, tools etc.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    JohnBoyUK said:

Susie, I went from...

...in 4 months with just me and my parents working weekends and evenings for just under £1,800 for the lot. The fence, all 10 panels of it, came to just under £1k, including posts, gravelboards, concrete, fixings etc.

I was quoted £1,600 minimum just to do the fence by two local companies so the old man decided we'd do it ourselves. Absolutely killed us but was worth it in the end. Technically its not difficult but its time consuming and physical. I dont have fond memories of digging out the holes for the posts. Jeez, it was in the 80s when I done that too!

We got most of the wood from Weatherley Fencing on North Cray Road and when they couldnt get stuff in because of the wood shortage in the summer, we used the fencing company just outside Welling Station. All very reasonable prices.

How the hell did that roof extension on the house in the background get planning JBUK? What a fucking eyesore!
  • Options

JohnBoyUK said:

Susie, I went from...

How the hell did that roof extension on the house in the background get planning JBUK? What a fucking eyesore!
    Isn't a loft room permitted development and only needs building regs?
    Also its to the rear of the property, it dosn't alter the street view and I would say it is below the the ridge tile.Thats quite normal one these days.
    People want to use every available square inch. I'm not a fan of these flat roof contructions but its a cheap way of adding space to a property.
    Window cleaner will need a long ladder and a head for heights.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Yeh it's probably just me and my fixation with symmetrical design and straight lines but seriously I grew up in a family of house builders and that loft extension looks fucking atrocious, have some pride people!!!
  • Options
    think it depends on the square footage in relation to the rest of the property
  • Options
    Yeah, the loft conversion at the back is one of a kind lol. It looks horrific.

The house has been uninhabited since I moved into my place in May 2010 (I think!). There was scaffolding and tarpaulin over the loft for the best part of 3 years. Apparently, according to a neighbour who has spoken to the owner, the guy paid some Eastern Europeans a wedge to refurb the house and they ended up doing a runner with the cash. So he's had no choice but to finish the project. Its still not finished or being lived in now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Suzie, measure the garden spaces, work out the fench panels you want, then measure them and the width of the concrete posts, dig the holes, put the posts in place the concrete kickboard into the groves of the posts , put the panel in and repeat the process till done, the fence is the easiest bit of DIY i ever done and i am shit at DIY
  • Options
    T.C.E said:

Suzi, I've some fellas doing fencing and gates etc. They are very good, I went on the My Builder website and posted what I wanted they replied and then quoted. These guys are from Essex and have travelled all the way down here to work so Sidcup wouldn't be an issue.

Forget that we just sacked them! :)

• Options
    Tom said:

Anyone know of any fence firms that will cover the Leysdown area? Driving me mad now. Not got time to do it myself and been quoted £1000 to fit 6 panels 7 posts. Having a laugh ain't they!?

Not really my old mate, 19 panels concrete posts and 12" gravel boards and 2 five bar gates are standing us just under 5k. ;)

• Options
    T.C.E said:

T.C.E said:

Forget that we just sacked them! :)

You're kidding me!
  • Options
    Our neighbours fence has all but deteriorated, it's held together with string and rope, I kid you not. Anyone know if we can force her somehow to replace and repair the fence as its her boundary?
  • Options
    Don't think you can mate tbh ,
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    BDL said:

Our neighbours fence has all but deteriorated, it's held together with string and rope, I kid you not. Anyone know if we can force her somehow to replace and repair the fence as its her boundary?

Get a couple of rabid rottweilers and leave them to run free in your garden. Your neighbour will soon get it repaired.
  • Options
    BDL said:

Barring the use of death threats, I don't think you can force them as anyone who didn't want to would just plead poverty.
  • Options
    Get a grass snake - they're reeeeeaaaallllyyyyy scary
  • Options
    having our garden all done up at the moment and spent yesterday putting in a new fence all round - the one that was there was barely standing and a fart would blow it over, out of courtesy I checked with the neighbours - old couple next door claimed the fence was theirs when I questioned who's it was (before I told them I wanted to replace it)...they said 'oh it's ours', I then said I'd pay for a new one and they quickly said 'oh it might be yours'

they weren't too impressed yesterday when the 4ft fence was replaced with a 6ft one.