Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Addicks v Glaziers/14 September 2012/Preview, views and line ups

edited September 2012 in General Charlton
Introduction

Many fans, on both sides, will find it hard to see this as "just another game" no matter how much some Glazier fans struggle to realise that denial is not a river in Africa and some Charlton fans hype it more than an X factor winner.

But another game is just what it is and you get the same three points for winning. It's a game Chris Powell, a Palace "reject" who lives deep in Palace territory, will want to win but as he said to Preview Towers a few months back "there are 46 games I want to win" this season.

The Teams

As usual there are a few ex-players on both sides. Charlton will most likely field 2007 Glazier of the Year Leon Cort and a former Young Glazier of the Year in Rhoys Wiggins. Another ex-Selhurst player, Ricardo Fuller, seems likely to start from the bench but Charlton fans may miss out on the thrill of seeing the Jamaican running at Paddy McCarthorse as the former Addicks captain has been out injured.

On the benches it's not just Powell who has batted for both sides. Damian Matthew and Alex Dyer also have connections to SE25. We find it hard to come to terms with the fact that a Charlton legend will be sitting on the Palace bench. You all know who he is but we can't bring ourselves to mention his name alongside theirs.

After the first defeat of the season Powell may feel the need or just be freed up to change the side. "Is he, isn't he leaving" Dale Stephens is likely to start alongside Hollands in midfield. Cook did little to enhance his claim to a starting place at Forest so expect to see Johnny Jackson again.

With Wagstaff still unwell, Pritchard could retain his place on the right but Green, who scored for the ressies midweek, or the fit again Haynes could come in. BWP (the son of a Palace player in case you didn't know) and Kermorgant will start up top while the back five picks itself despite Hamer's cock up at the City Ground. Our vantage point at Preview Towers leads us to believe that Cort will be well rested and ready to play alongside Solly and Morrison. It will be interesting to see what reception Wiggins, who played just one league game for Palace, gets from his former fans.

Palace had a poor start and there were even calls from a minority of Glaziers for Glazier legend Dougie Freedman to go but a win over the Massives and some good last minute signings have lifted the spirits. Palace are likely to field the same side as 13 days ago with Murray their main goal scoring threat alongside Zaha. They also have strikers Goodwillie and Wilbraham on the bench if they are chasing the game. The Benfica/Barca wannabes have scored in every league game but they have yet to keep a clean sheet, having shipped 9 goals in four league games.

Prediction

There will be goals in this game and Charlton will be given a severe test by a hard working and pacey Palace side. Charlton will do just enough to bounce back from their first defeat last time out to take the bragging rights. 3 - 2 to the Addicks.

Comments

• Options
    4 - 0 happy days
  • Options
    So who plays in place of Cort ? Dervite ?
  • Options
    2 0 close game but BWP twice to send them home to surrey with there tails between there legs.
  • Options

So who plays in place of Cort ? Dervite ?

Cort will play
  • Options
    3-1 charlton!
  • Options
    Apart from the game that can not be sung about, these encounters usually end up with us winning 1-0, with the goalscorer either being on loan (Kitson and the lad from Spurs) or one season wonders (Rommers and Todders).

therefore I predict a 1-0 with Jordan Cook scoring late on - he then leaves us in the summer never to be heard of again.
  • Options
    'Paddy McCarthorse'
    lol
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Time for a few changes from the over-conservative Mr Powell : Hamer Solly Morrison Cort Wiggins .. Haynes Hollands Stephens Kerkar .. Kermorgant Fuller. Bench : Smith Green Button Dervite Wilson Wright-Phillips Cook/Pritchard.
    Prediction : This side will win 2-0 .. the team I THINK he'll pick will be lucky to snatch a draw.
  • Options
    one goal in it either way...We have to take our chances
  • Options
    2 - 1 to the Addicks but nowhere near the easy match we would like.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    0-0. All hype and no trousers, or something like that.
  • Options

This
  • Options
    Jeez hope we win this one! Can't bring myself to make a prediction. Atmosphere will be electric.
  • Options

Have to agree.
  • Options
    History tends to say, cliche I know, that form doesn't count so much in Derby matches. You only have to look at the Matt Spring victory after 14 games without a win to see a good example in games between Charlton and Palace. Even the famous relegation game had a quality about it where objective form analysis wasn't really a factor. Add to that the fact that the vast majority of games between us are decided by one goal margins, very occasionally two, and you get drawn towards feeling this may well be another close game.
    I feel we have the edge because our trajectory is on the upward slope, but Crystal Palace is sliding a bit. they have substantial recent experience of playing at this level, but our start doesn't exactly smack of luck, we can also compete at this level.
    It will come down to which three or four individual players can do it on the night. Will Hamer outplay Speroni, will BWP outplay the bloke they got from Brighton?
    We also have Ricardo Fuller, they no longer have such a notable forward.
    I reckon it will be close, if they score first I reckon 1-1, otherwise 1-0 or 2-1 to us.
    of course I wan't a juicy 5-0 win, but it will be one of the most unexpected scores of the season for me....and if we win by a considerable margin Freedman will be under a lot of pressure, a defeat won't be as crushing to Chris Powell.
    As a crowd we can play our part, and I understand from Stoke fans that Ricardo responds well to a bit of encouragement.
  • Options
    2=1 to Palace. Shame I have to miss this game too.
  • Options

Time for a few changes from the over-conservative Mr Powell : Hamer Solly Morrison Cort Wiggins .. Haynes Hollands Stephens Kerkar .. Kermorgant Fuller. Bench : Smith Green Button Dervite Wilson Wright-Phillips Cook/Pritchard.
    Prediction : This side will win 2-0 .. the team I THINK he'll pick will be lucky to snatch a draw.

Well then that means you have to replace SCP as manager obviously. How has this mix up occurred, whereby he manages Charlton and you don't?
  • Options
    Uboat said:

Well then that means you have to replace SCP as manager obviously. How has this mix up occurred, whereby he manages Charlton and you don't?
    It's about opinions you sarcastic twit .. OK ?? .. Go sink in the Atlantic
  • Options

Agree with this, will be tight I think
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Charlton, ooh football, Palace ooh netball, too the tune of smoke on the water - dodgy 2-1
  • Options
    Can't see many goals in this personally I'll go for a 1-0 win BWP.
  • Options
    SMASH EM, SMASH EM, 'EFFIN SMASH EM !!!
  • Options
    Lol

I got a feeling tricky Ricky is going to score

2-1 Yann, Fuller & murray for them
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    5-0 to us, purely for the reason that their just shit.

Yann, Fuller x 2, JJ and Wiggins.
  • Options
    2-2
  • Options
    4-1
  • Options
    2-1 Charlton , Kerm in the last minute ;)
  • Options
    It'll be close but my money is on Yann becoming even more of a hero
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    finally , finally we're playing a team where the words that they 'will be in the top 6 at the end of the season' won't be heard at the end of the game , so we'll be able to gage a bit more of whereabouts we may be in the pecking order in the championship
    tense match and not as good as we would have hoped 1-1 at best but if tricky ricky gets on i think he could spark us into a victory

*edited* note to self re read what you write ! And neither team will be top 6 end of the season of that I'm certain !