Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Hull Post Match News, Views & Opinions

Comments

• Options
    Yea, rain might have changed the game, but its August, expect more of the same for the next 7 months
  • Options
    Just watched the highlights - our goal was never offside (even though I thought it was at the time).
  • Options
    I love the fact than unless you give a certain opinion on here, you 'don't get it' or need to have played football to understand.

I personally thought it was a disappointing performance and that we need to have a bit more creativity particularly against defensive teams as Hull were. Leicester came with an attacking intent and that left gaps which we exposed with good football. Hull were happier sitting back and, too often we ended up just lumping it on to Kermo's head. I know he wins plenty but teams in this league will become wise pretty quickly and we need more options from the midfield so we're not so direct all the time.

Also, with the way the pitch was and after a ding dong game during the week, legs were tiring and I also couldn't believe that no changes were made. I worry for Jacko in this league-he's looked off the pace and should have been replaced in the second half.

Overall though, five from nine is good whoever we've played. Our main aspiration this season has to be consolidation and that return over 46 games would leave us comfortably where we want to be. Think the Forest game could be our biggest test so far though.......
  • Options
    Moving away from the subs debate and the effect of the rain to further praising Kermogant. He had a cracking shot in the first half, which last year would have ripped the back of the net but this year we face a better class of keeper and his dissallowed goal was another superb execution. We think of Yann about his aerial prowess but both these strikes also showed how good he is on the deck. Once again he battled for everything and at one stage was both our defence and midfield as he knocked the ball up and out of our penalty area, ran up field and collected it as it came down. Does a lot off the ball and has a great engine
  • Options
    After watching my first game in the championship for four seasons, can I be the first to say we need to get out of this shit league!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Overall, content with a point and 5 from 9 in what looked like a tough set of opening fixtures.

BUT, disappointed that we seemed happy to settle for a point so early in the second half. I would have liked us to chase harder for all 3. Much as I love Pritch I don't think he carries enough attacking threat and with Jacko also tucking in yesterday we badly lacked width. More attacking wide midfielders and more crosses into the box would make Yann even more dangerous than he is with his flick ons.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    shit game. below par performance. bad weather. clean sheet. 1 point. notts forest. move on.CHARLTON, GOING FORWARD!
  • Options
    For all of those who clearly have a greater knowledge of the game than CP just what difference do you think any of the substitutes will have made in the circumstances? The back 5 were clearly doing their job - that rules out 3 of them. Kermorgant & WP clearly offerred something, was Smith likely to be a better option?

The remaining choices were Cook, Kerkar and Green. Were any of those going to offer a significant upgrade in fairly difficult conditions? Possibly but probably not. Each offers a different attacking threat but at some defensive risk. CP decided to stick with what he had.

I find the comments re width very amusing. Golf - never mind the last 2 games this has all the hallmarks of THE Curbishley "modus operandi" e.g. with Kishichev and Konchesky playing the wide midfield roles? I suspect for a while at least you are just going to have to live with it. CP is playing "we are going to be hard to beat" card at the moment (as did Hull). Stepping up a league is about building confidence and putting points on the board.

Even so with the chances and a disallowed goal we (as did Hull) had chances to win. Good goalkeeping (and maybe a wrong asst referee call) meant it was goalless. Hull offered a considerably different challenge to which we needed to adapt. It was/ is a learning curve in a different and difficult league.

I accept Jackson is not yet firing on all cylinders (as per Wiggins last year) but he is just a likely to either put in a dangerous cross or get on the end of one, Pritchard is still learning his wide role but still offers tremendous industry. Stephens is frustratingly inconsistent but can still pull out that telling pass. Hollands for the first time started to step up his game after a preseason injury.

Where is the best place for those players to develop and improve? Not sitting in the dug out. Sometimes, just sometimes, especially in early season you just have to take a broader view and let things play through.

If individual players struggle to improve their performance then different decisions may need to be made. We are 3 games into the season the team (it is the team that matters) has done a very solid job and secured a more than acceptable points haul. For all of that, it is not difficult to see this team is new to this level. It is to be expected. It takes time to adjust.

The level of challenges they face going forward will not diminish so can I politely suggest some of us climb out of the "ivory tower of perfection" expectation. It is going to get tougher. Playing wise we are in a decent place - if you doubt me - look at the Palace forums where some are almost wetting themselves over the fact they had a good 25 minute spell at Middlesboro.

Grapevine49
  • Options
    StevieK said:

Just watched the highlights - our goal was never offside (even though I thought it was at the time).

I didnt even look for the flag at the time because I knew Brad had outpaced the defence. Looks an awful decision.
  • Options
    Not much of a fan of Cort
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    5 points from first 3 games will do me as the opposition will all finish in the top half of the table - Birmingham and Leicester top 6 probably.

Tough conditions so won't criticise the players at all.

Not sure it was worth making any subs as it would have taken time for them to settle into the game.

A good point.
  • Options
    We have played three big teams, two of which are still receiving premier league parachute payments and one is financed by Chinese money and we have conceded two goals and are unbeaten. Whats the problem?
  • Options
    sralan said:

Crowd turnout disappointing? Should be expecting 19 - 20,000.

I missed the game as I got caught in the traffic on the M11, the same traffic the Hartlepool team was caught in which got their match vs Orient called off. Got there about 13:15 and was only about 30 mins away but didn't move for about 4 hours I think it was around 17:30 by the time we were able to turn round and go all the way back to Norfolk. I'm sure I wasn't the only one.
  • Options
    I said before and repeat my disappointment in the lack of substitutions has nothing to do with tactics or strategy, CP is far better at such matters than I will ever be.... BUT BWP has run himself into the ground twice in five days, Jackson looked completely knackered to many fans around me, just for example. So if it is a game you are willing to run down and keep a point, why not keep the same shape/formation but put on Cook for BWP? Cook has shown willingness to run at and hassle defenders, what he has not (yet) proven is lethality in front of goal. THAT is why I am confused, and yes, a little disappointed.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

Jackson looked completely knackered to many fans around me,

Not once have I ever listened to the fans around me and thought the were talking sense.Ever.
    They talk complete and utter ball joints the lot of 'em.

• Options
    People criticizing Jacko, and Wagstaff in another thread, are probably the same kind of people that thought Kishishev was rubbish. The people that only seem capable of spotting what someone does on the ball, when in fact workrate, movement off the ball, positioning and more off the ball work that contribute to the overall balance and formation of the team is just as important.
  • Options
    Good post , as always, stilladdicted.

• Options

People criticizing Jacko, and Wagstaff in another thread, are probably the same kind of people that thought Kishishev was rubbish. The people that only seem capable of spotting what someone does on the ball, when in fact workrate, movement off the ball, positioning and more off the ball work that contribute to the overall balance and formation of the team is just as important.

Exactly, which is why Green Stephens Hollands Jackson was never convincing as a midfield four and Powell stopped playing them together.
  • Options
    Happy with a point in the end and maybe if we had better players to come off the bench Powell would have made the changes, certainly jj and pritch looked shot in the last 10

Central midfield and Stephens in particular is a weak area that will get exploited but no point moaning about it unless we organise a Ronny Moore style bucket collection

Another point, 50 to go
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Christ sake children this is a football fans forum, not a players or experts forum. Do we have to always get into the handbags every time we disagree with each other? Whether you think you are better qualified or not it doesn't matter, and much as I revere Chris Powell and admire most of the players in the team we come on here to voice opinions and to challenge opinions. personally i may change my opinion several times a day, but I will disregard anyone who's main thrust is that I don't know what I am talking about.

Even if I don't.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I was surprised that no subs used but perhaps we don't have the midfield options on the bench and the rest of the side looked ok... only Forest away and then a two week break so time for a rest, for Fuller to build up fitness before we go for 3 points vs Palace...
    I thought the game was poor compared to Leicester but the result was OK leaving us mid table and in touch of the top 6... if we are still like this end September then all good... couldn't see how Kermorgant's goal could possibly be offside earlier as BWP had outrun their defence...
    Roll on 14th September :)
  • Options

Christ sake children this is a football fans forum, not a players or experts forum. Do we have to always get into the handbags every time we disagree with each other? Whether you think you are better qualified or not it doesn't matter, and much as I revere Chris Powell and admire most of the players in the team we come on here to voice opinions and to challenge opinions. personally i may change my opinion several times a day, but I will disregard anyone who's main thrust is that I don't know what I am talking about.

Even if I don't.

I am not sure I agree with you
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

Even if I don't.

How dare you! You obviously have no experience of disagreeing with people at a professional level.

• Options

Kap10 said:

Even if I don't.

How dare you! You obviously have no experience of disagreeing with people at a professional level.

Damn you worked me out .. an amateur disagree'er
  • Options
    RobRob
    edited August 2012

After watching my first game in the championship for four seasons, can I be the first to say we need to get out of this shit league!!!!!!!!!!

Oh no. Not league 1 again.
  • Options
    I imagined that the reason for no subs yesterday was that the conditions were not good for ball players like Cook, Kerkar and Green so what would be the point of putting them onto that waterlogged pitch? In addition the slippery surface called for more defensive minded LM and RM players as cover. I thought that CP erred on the defensive side but hey it's another point, a clean sheet and I'm more than happy with the the return from our first 3 difficult-looking fixtures.
  • Options
    RobbieT said:

Bit disappointed with the draw.Think Chris Powell got it wrong today. Don't know why he employed those tactics but we had no width. Thought Jacko and Pritch were largely anonymous. It was a game I feel we could have won and we should have seen Cook and
    Green, IMHO. But to see no subs at all baffled me. Was the goal offside? I didn't think that it was.

First real game that I've been dissapointed with the manager.
    0-0 going nowhere yet he makes makes absolutely no subs. No wingers on the pitch either so we were unlikely ever to create chances.
    Extremely negative tactics .

hmmm - I wonder where i've heard those comments before ????

I've been a "guest" on here for over 3 years. Not a massive looker at the site but even as a non-member got to know those who's opinion I respected. I read last week (your words) that you were leaving the site. I actually plucked up the courage to join on the back of that. I can't stand negativity.
    Anyway, I don't know you personally but please try and be a bit more positive.

Ok then, if it pleases you, i'll p**s off...............the fact that I've been a member on here for 5 yrs, been a season ticket holder since 1992, and go to over 30 games a season means nothing to a Johnny-come-lately like yourself.

No hold on - why don't I stay & you p**s off !!!!!!!

(sorry admin, but some people just get on your tits)

• Options
    Scoham said:

Exactly, which is why Green Stephens Hollands Jackson was never convincing as a midfield four and Powell stopped playing them together.
    Agree but that lays a lot of blame at the feet of Green as all the others mentioned are still there. I'm still not convinced that our midfield four is up to it even with Pritchard replacing Green. We need another option in he centre for sure.

• Options
    Not a fan of Cort but he played well in the Hull game.
    Stephens needs to up his game........too much ball watching.

In summary - we have played 3 of the expected top 6 in the space of 8 days and are unbeaten, with 5 points.

If offered that 12 months ago we would have snapped it up !

Can't wait for the Friday night game in September :)
  • Options
    Had a cracking game on Tuesday. So only fair we have a poor one at the weekend.
    A complete non starter of a game and the less i remember about the better. Looks like from highlights that Yann's goal should of stood and was a mistake from the lino.
    I've always disliked Hull for ruining my bets and after there showing yesterday hate them even more.
    Roll on Forest