Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Hull Post Match News, Views & Opinions

Comments

• Options
    I agree. 5 points is a return most of us would have settled for a week ago. The fact that Hull lost to a relegated Prem club doesn't change that.
  • Options

DRAddick said:

5 points from the first 3 games is a fantastic return with the teams we've played

Not sure I agree............B'ham have lost 2 of their games and only point they gained was against us, Leicester aren't in the top 6 atm and Hull lost to Blackburn in midweek.

Is that what you honestly thought when you saw the fixture list? They're both still stronger than us and will finish above us by the end of the season. We played great against Leicester but lets not kid ourselves that they didn't play us off the park second half.
  • Options
    My thoughts have pretty much been covered above but the down side for me is I do not recall us testing their keeper at all in the 2nd half which is poor considering we were the home team kicking towards the covered end, and you cannot blame the weather because its the same for both teams.
    We need more creation in midfield to open teams up like Hull
  • Options
    Chris Powell thinks beyond one game - last season when we pulled 2 back against Notts County, he made the decision not to risk a 5th going for it for confidence reasons, Don't ask me if that is right or wrong but even if I'd take a chance or two - I wouldn't dare say he is wrong. He knows more than I do. We are unbeaten after a tough start - it is a long old season and this is a learning experience for many of our players.

Today was a game where neither team were committed enough to win it and their priority was not to lose it. So teh result was a fair one. Having said that both had chances to win it - Hamer was excellent and our goal was never offside - BWP was clearly on - poor lino. Happy with our start though, it gives us a platform to build on and confident we will.
  • Options
    To be fair , seen a replay, he was slightly offside ...
  • Options
    First game I have made it to this season and I can only echo what others have said. The good part is that we are very strong at the back and work very hard, we have strikers who can take a chance and we at good from set pieces - I suspect that these will be enough to keep us comfortably in mid-table.

To be able to go further, we will need Fuller to turn out great to add some pace and different skills up front when the flicks to bwp are not working. And our midfield works hard defensively but lacks pace.
  • Options
    Hamer was excellent

Morton and Cort are superb at getting blocks

Wiggy starting slowly like last year

Jacko was WAY off the pace. Should have been subbed

Hollands and Stephens are possibly a little slow

Pritchard has tons of energy but isn't a winger

BWP and Yann are hugely important to us. Hugely important!

SCP - surprised at no subs. Especially jacko.

Overall a hard fought point and 5 points against 3 of the better Championship sides is well done indeed

Onwards and uowards
  • Options
    hopefully we can get a midfielder or two in on loan as that's clearly where we are weakest. Pritchard was poor today, probably worse than Jacko for me but it's one game and he was probably knackered.
  • Options
    Thought we did alright in the first half and looked dangerous after Yann's chance and the successive corners.

Second half was a bit languid and I thought Hull were the much better footballing side and played with much more pace and importance than we did. Most passes they played went to feet and they retained it well, not sure we can say the same.

Hamer was excellent and I really hope he continues to improve as he has done. Morrison was a rock and Leon is great at proper 'old school' defending just don't give him time to dwell on the ball, did not look comfortable with it at his feet at all.

I thought Yann and BWP worked their collective nuts off and Bradley looked especially sharp and worked for everything. Just a shame they didn't get the service that they needed. Our top two definitely are Championship material.

I thought we were crying out for a sub or two at around 75 mins. Looked like a few very heavy legs out there, JJ for one but there were others as well. I don't agree with the opinion that Powell doesn't trust his bench. He signed these guys, he knows what they can do. Would love to have seen Cook, Kerkar or Waggy get a run out late-ish doors. Genuinely interested to hear from Powelly as to why he didn't use any subs. I love the man but think this question needs asking.

One thing we do know is that this team do not lie down. Worked their socks off today and left nothing out there, we are going to need that for the whole season. Some real quality teams in this division and a bit of a bigger step up from League One in terms of pace than I thought it would be. Hopefully that's down to playing very good sides early doors, will be good to see how we're doing after ten or so games for a real judgement on that.
  • Options
    I think there is more in the team - we were a biy cagey but Sir Chris clearly doesn't want to lose early games - Think we will be strong away as we were last season so have no worries.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If you can't win, don't lose. And well done Hamer for helping with that.
    We are learning and adjusting to this league, and for the most part doing it well. No complaints from me, three games unbeaten, settling in and getting the experience of this level. The rain was a clear factor today.
    On we go.
  • Options

Just gutted Wednesday won.

Wtf a team beats millwall ffs and you're gutted .....
  • Options
    Game of 2 halves, we were on top 1st, they looked good 2nd half. Hamer was on top form with a couple of cracking saves at the end. 1st half they couldn't cope with our threat in the air. The weather seemed to galvinise them, they coped better with the conditions than us, echo the thoughts above, Cort shat himself with the greasy top surface! Decent point, first 0-0 for what seems like forever. 5 points from 3 games is a good start, think CP should've changed things today, had Cook who has the pace to worry them, especially the woeful McShane, but can understand why he didn't given how tightly poised the game was. Slightly disappointing but a point was a fair result. I'll take a point at Forest next time out...
  • Options
    Think its a little unfair for some to be putting the finger and blaming Powell or any of the players. They're still learning this league. Powell has never managed in it and many of these players have never played in it. Cut em some slack.

End of the day, both teams cancelled each other out and it was a fair draw. That's Football, sometimes.
  • Options
    EastStand said:

Hull came for 0-0

yeah, could not see half the game because of all the buses they parked.

I must have been watching a different game to you.
  • Options
    In my view, Hull were definitely more worried about preventing us scoring than scoring themselves. And a couple of post-match quotes from Bruce about it being a "good point" and pointed towards "good set pieces with terrific delivery" support that.
  • Options

EastStand said:

Hull came for 0-0

yeah, could not see half the game because of all the buses they parked.

I must have been watching a different game to you.
    Have to agree, no way they came for a draw. Very positive second half, fair play to them.
  • Options
    Yeah this team has the right attitude which has been lacking for years. We played well in the first half, but Hull went for it despite the conditions in the 2nd - we just couldn't get control of it. Wiggins and Cort both had some nightmare moments, Stephens and Holland looked class when they were involved, Yann and BWP gave everything. Can't ask for much more than that - but was crying out for subs in the 70th minute - Jackson and Solly looked shattered. Hamer definitely MOM.
  • Options
    Echo most comments here. A point against a team pushing for play offs last season and very hard to score against, fairly happy. As a game it was disappointing, rain did impact a lot on how it panned out.

Just one more thing on the subs, was it just me or were no players actually warming up at all around the 70th minute mark? I could have just missed them but saw Smith warming up for most of the game but towards the end I didn't notice anyone.
  • Options
    Oakster said:

Hamer was excellent today, only seen him in the last couple of games but his positioning has been excellent. Was a bit dissapointed we didnt get at McShane more once he came on, he is awful would loved to have seen Fuller up against him had he been fit. To me this was a point earned as opposed to two dropped, the conditions made it a lottery. Hugely enjoyed my two visits this trip, looking forward to Forest next weekend & thats it for me for who knows how long.……

Glad your enjoying it Oakster. I loved getting down the valley last season for 2 games, and bournemouth away. It means so much to us exiled addicks to see our team play. Hope the lads get a win for you at forest.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I believe i read somewhere that Steve Bruce has been told by the Hull board they must get promoted this season. Makes this a good point earned.
  • Options

Bit disappointed with the draw.Think Chris Powell got it wrong today. Don't know why he employed those tactics but we had no width. Thought Jacko and Pritch were largely anonymous. It was a game I feel we could have won and we should have seen Cook and
    Green, IMHO. But to see no subs at all baffled me. Was the goal offside? I didn't think that it was.

First real game that I've been dissapointed with the manager.
    0-0 going nowhere yet he makes makes absolutely no subs. No wingers on the pitch either so we were unlikely ever to create chances.
    Extremely negative tactics .

hmmm - I wonder where i've heard those comments before ????

I've been a "guest" on here for over 3 years. Not a massive looker at the site but even as a non-member got to know those who's opinion I respected. I read last week (your words) that you were leaving the site. I actually plucked up the courage to join on the back of that. I can't stand negativity.
    Anyway, I don't know you personally but please try and be a bit more positive.

• Options
    RobbieT said:

Bit disappointed with the draw.Think Chris Powell got it wrong today. Don't know why he employed those tactics but we had no width. Thought Jacko and Pritch were largely anonymous. It was a game I feel we could have won and we should have seen Cook and
    Green, IMHO. But to see no subs at all baffled me. Was the goal offside? I didn't think that it was.

First real game that I've been dissapointed with the manager.
    0-0 going nowhere yet he makes makes absolutely no subs. No wingers on the pitch either so we were unlikely ever to create chances.
    Extremely negative tactics .

hmmm - I wonder where i've heard those comments before ????

I've been a "guest" on here for over 3 years. Not a massive looker at the site but even as a non-member got to know those who's opinion I respected. I read last week (your words) that you were leaving the site. I actually plucked up the courage to join on the back of that. I can't stand negativity.
    Anyway, I don't know you personally but please try and be a bit more positive.

RobbieT. Welcome. You make a very good point. There are probably other casual 'guests' who don't regularly join in the discussions because of the negativity on the site. And that's a shame in my opinion.
  • Options

mascot88 said:

Davali said:

Some people don't get it do they1
    We played some great football in the first half and out passed and out played them. When the pitch turned into a river it stopped our passing game and put us down to Hull's standard of long punts.
    If the rain had not come we would have won the game.
    In those conditions we did what we had to do so how can people complain about that performance

What's becoming clear is quite a lot people don't get it ...
    Or perhaps they are the people who do get it ?
    5 points from some top teams ... Theirs my evidence ...

• Options

3- JJ is a good captain but not a winger

He was playing in the middle behind the forwards.

Powell needs to learn that the people wearing fluorescent bibs are at his disposal
  • Options
    My first live game of the season still not home yet stayed down with @TCE and his lovely missus. Overall a draw was a fair result, rain ruined it in 2nd half. Amos made a great save in firstr half to stop us going 1 up at HT, but then Hamer pulled off a couple of good saves in 2nd. JJ looked off the pace, Wiggy was not his usual self as I remember from last season. 5 points from 9 is a good return, we need to get used to this step up in speed and class, so let's now look at next two matches and the see where we sit after 5 games. Thanks to all I met in the LIB before and after the game, a few beers were supped and then off to The Bull with @TCE for a few more, good day/night outm think the addicks will be fine in this league and may well suprise a few more teams this season.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Played quite well first half, then rain stopped play. Looking at player tweets, the rain really affected them, Solly and JJ both commenting that they hadn't played in rain like it before and it was tough going. CP must have made the judgement that it was better to keep the existing, albeit tired, players on the pitch because they were accustomed to the conditions rather than throw subs in at 'the deep end'. That's good enough for me. Yesterday did seem a bit like 'after the Lord Mayor's show', but we've made a good start to the season so I'm happy.