Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Feel good factor

Comments

• Options
    So all in all, for many people, any 'feelgoodfactor' is outweighed by concerns as to the financial stability of the club.

----

I wouldn't say that. Can only speak for myself but I love our manager more than any other that has gone before him, and I feel really connected to this team. Am loving watching them play.

The two things are not intrinsically linked.

-----

'The last thing the management and the players need is to hear and read tales of woe and doom concerning 'finance'. Any feel good factor in such circumstances will go right out the window.'

But are they ? You could say this talk has been running all summer. Certainly hasn't had any impact on the first couple of games, has it ?

On for the last hundredth time, why is having some concern over how the club is financed always perceived as 'doom and gloom' ?

Sorry to derail your excellent post RCT.
  • Options

On for the last hundredth time, why is having some concern over how the club is financed always perceived as 'doom and gloom' ?

In itself it isn't doom and gloom, but it is when it gets taken out of proportion and people start speculating things like 'Varney gone = We're not going to finish the season".

Not saying that's what everyone is doing but people are more often than not reading into the worse case scenario first.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

In itself it isn't doom and gloom, but it is when it gets taken out of proportion and people start speculating things like 'Varney gone = We're not going to finish the season".

Not saying that's what everyone is doing but people are more often than not reading into the worse case scenario first.
    The only ones I have seen doing that are those seeking to shout down anyone who speaks of having some form of concern.

• Options
    We now have a group of players we trust but a Board we don't, whereas we used to have a Board we trusted but a group of players we didn't.

I think the Feelgood factor will stay with the team all the while it don't get tinkered with by anyone else other than the Manager, including the buying & selling of players.
  • Options
    In terms of 'feel good factor' you can sense it on this forum in comparison to 2/3 years ago.

Alot of laugh out loud comments and posts recently. It's the little things, good stuff.
  • Options

"We are a mess behind the scenes"

"Charlton owe thousands out"

"Powell nearly left the training camp on thursday because he can't get he's own way or the targets he wanted"

"Saying that Chris Powell is all happy and saying all the right things in public means everything is OK is a bit naive"

No problem with people voicing concern over how the club is being run.But it's statements like this that I would put in the doom and gloom category.
    Without any substance they are pointless.
  • Options
    Agree with Rodders' original post. I can't just ignore the worries about financial stability but I can and will put them to the back of my mind so I can enjoy what is happening on the field. I spent quite a lot of the fantastic last season mildly worrying that it was all going to go wrong come March/April: many of the Prem years were clouded by the end of season blow-up and ultra-cautious tactics. This season I think we can compete in a Championship which is much tougher than the last time we were there, with a team that may be a bit short on quality in some areas but is overflowing with a great work ethic and team spirit, and has the best manager we have had (sorry Lennie and Curbs) in my 40+ years as a supporter. We might end up in the play-offs, we might find ourselves hovering not far above the relegation zone - it really is hard to call. Whatever happens, I'm going to relish this season and just hope that the off-the-field stuff gets sorted.

• Options
    definitely a feel good factor. About half the games we will play this season we will be underdogs in i.e the 2 already played, it's great going into them half expecting to get a point at best and coming out with a result. Brilliant to turnover a club who probably have one player who cost more than our whole squad on Tuesday. No matter the team we have put out in the past obviously I always want them to hold on to close games but last couple of games, probably more than ever as they seem a top bunch of lads who work their socks off every week for each other.
  • Options

@SilentAddick

" I believe that us fans are being fed a line by those unhappy with the changes and taking it as gospel, ignoring the biases of those supplying this info in the first place."

I really wish you didn't have to make such a perjorative, evidence free comment about people who are every bit as much a "fan" as you and have often devoted an unreasonable part of their lives to helping to make CAFC a much better club than it would otherwise be.

I am all for comments like those that RCT started this thread with. Personally I'll join in with that when we get past August 31st and find that Chris Solly is lining up for us at the City Ground, if thats' OK with you?

And if Solly is sold what happens then? End of the world or simply a case of a good player being sold on?

Sorry I'm not being flippant....there just doesn't seem to be much middle ground right now.
  • Options
    Henry, I don't think it's right to suggest that S and J inherited a massive financial hole - they bought the club for nothing and after the previous directors had disappeared into their own financial hole (when they agreed to restructure the directors loans in order to help sell the club on).

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    We know there were/are issues but it is also a good bet that the better we do this season the more chance any issues can be resolved. Next season th eriches for Premiership clubs are going off the scale and if we need investement the club doing well and that fact are going to help.

Signings have been made and the gems have not been sold so those who decide they shouldn't worry may have th eright approach. of course those that do worry, worry because they love and care for the club.

I personally think a positive vibe around the club is what it needs right now, but certainly not a blinkered one. I seem to have a bit more faith in the ability of the players than some - I don't mean that arrogantly but I think play offs is going to be our minimum this year. I certainly believe we wont have any problems should we win promotion and I think there is a very good chance of that happening.

I reserve the right to panic if new news or developments suggest I should but not much is achieved by churning over the same facts and promoting negativity.
  • Options
    The problem I have with some of the comments this summer, is that you get the feeling that whatever TJ and MS do, it'll be interpreted negatively by some people here.

If we sold Solly, it's because we have no money and are doomed.
    If we spent money, it's because the board are reckless and we're about to do a Portsmouth, spending money we don't have (and are doomed)
    If we buy nobody it's either because of a cash flow crisis or because of a bust up between TJ and Powell over targets

Yes we would like a bit more transparency, but at this present juncture I'm happy to let them get on with it. 20 years ago when the club was on the verge of extinction before we went back to the Valley in 1992, we didn't get 'ball by ball' updates on the rebuilding programme or the various boardroom problems...
  • Options
    The feel good factor isn't outweighed by the issues behind the scenes for me at least. I believed in this team before the season started and Fulham, Brum and Leicester have only confirmed that.

When we were beating Leicester I certainly wasn't sitting there thinking "this is a great result but what about Tony Jimenez and the unpaid bills" but away from the games and results the issues are, IMHO, still there. And until TJ finds a backer to replace Kevin Cash they will remain.

"Take care of the results on the field of play and the money will take care of itself." No it won't. Portsmouth went into Admin in the Premier League and soon after winning the Cup and playing in Europe. Rangers won the League and were in the Champions League. What matters is by how much, if at all, does our budget exceed our income?

Powell is doing a great job and he is a great guy, no one is doubting that.

Carly Burn, I don't remember seeing any of those quotes. I may have missed them but can you give some sources
  • Options
    There just doesn't seem to be much middle ground on this financial muddle business. You are either a doom-and-gloom misery guts or a rose-tinted naive sheep (not in those words but that's the distinct impression I get.) I am sure the majority on fans are concerned that there may be something not right behind the scenes but with no definite proof and certainly nothing going wrong thus far there is no need to panic.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

There just doesn't seem to be much middle ground on this financial muddle business. You are either a doom-and-gloom misery guts or a rose-tinted naive sheep (not in those words but that's the distinct impression I get.) I am sure the majority on fans are concerned that there may be something not right behind the scenes but with no definite proof and certainly nothing going wrong thus far there is no need to panic.

Sorry but that it is not the case.

I think there are problems but I am not "all doom and gloom" nor I'm a calling anyone a naive sheep. Nor I'm I panicking.

There is no need for all this name calling. People who think there is a problem are not "misery guts" or "idiots".

I'm concerned AND I'm enjoying the football.

• Options

Henry, I don't think it's right to suggest that S and J inherited a massive financial hole - they bought the club for nothing and after the previous directors had disappeared into their own financial hole (when they agreed to restructure the directors loans in order to help sell the club on).

They still inherited a club making heavy losses though, and with some external debts (e.g. on the North Stand), and without them coming in to stabilise the finances I hate to imagine the team CP would have put onto the pitch last season.
    Looking back, remember the 2008/09 season, stranded at the bottom of the Championship, in debt, HSBC withdrawing their overdraft facility...
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11684_4908161,00.html
    http://drinkingduringthegame.blogspot.co.uk/2009/02/no-credit-for-charlton.html
  • Options
    If we go up - there will be no problems - the Premiership money is the highest ever. So we should at least all agree on that and collectively strive to achieve it. As fans, we can't do much more than support the team and create a groundsell of confidence that makes success more likely.
  • Options
    Room for more.................................

• Options
    Feel Good Factor. The name of my cousins shop at Albany Park.
  • Options

If we go up - there will be no problems - the Premiership money is the highest ever. So we should at least all agree on that and collectively strive to achieve it. As fans, we can't do much more than support the team and create a groundsell of confidence that makes success more likely.

Pompey went into Admin in the Premiership and other clubs such as Bolton have run up debt of over £100 staying there for a few seasons.

And that's IF we can get promoted. Right now about 20 other sides in this league think they can get on that Gravy train and a lot have more money that we do.

And we can do a lot more than just support the team.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Not sure I agree with this. I'm not a doom and gloom merchant but the amount of money most clubs spend in order to try to stay in the Prem in frightening. Surely it must exceed the higher revenue? Of course i want to go up but I don't think it would be the end of financial challenges.

• Options
    Well I suggest you do it Henry -
    But I hope that whatever it is, it doesn't burst any bubbles that could carry us to success tghis season.
  • Options
    Please don't make this into another doom & gloom thread. Whatever may or may not be happening behind the scenes is completely beyond our control so just let them (the board) get on with it and focus your energies on backing this awesome team we have 110%! COYR
  • Options

Please don't make this into another doom & gloom thread. Whatever may or may not be happening behind the scenes is completely beyond our control so just let them (the board) get on with it and focus your energies on backing this awesome team we have 110%! COYR

too late unfortunately pal, the usual lot have already turned yet another thread into the debate over the financial rumours
  • Options
    Henry, you keep referring to the likes of Portsmouth and Rangers but you've got to realize that those clubs were something like £100 million in debt. Absolutely sky-rocketing proportions next in comparison to whatever problems I imagine we might have.
  • Options

Carly Burn, I don't remember seeing any of those quotes. I may have missed them but can you give some sources

Yep.Most of them are in the Steve Kavanagh leaving thread.

Happy hunting.
  • Options
    Hang on a minute Kiwi, Mike and Tom.

It wasn't the fans you are having a go at as "doom and Gloom" or "the usual lot" who raised the financial issue but you Tom.

You decided to call other fans idiots and then you complain that they respond.

And Mike, you were constantly saying all summer this team wasn't good enough, BWP wasn't good enough, blah, blah, blah.
  • Options
    in threads relevant to the subject yes, but for whatever reason you seem to enjoy talking about us apparently being in financial trouble all over the forum
  • Options
    Mike said:

in threads relevant to the subject yes, but for whatever reason you seem to enjoy talking about us apparently being in financial trouble all over the forum

Except it was Tom who raised the financial issues not me but believe whatever you like.
  • Options

Hang on a minute Kiwi, Mike and Tom.

It wasn't the fans you are having a go at as "doom and Gloom" or "the usual lot" who raised the financial issue but you Tom.

I pointed out your references to Portsmouth and Rangers and stated how they are likely to be a complete world away from where we are at.

In that statement I didn't have a dig at anyone or point the finger at anyone for bringing it up the financial situation, so no idea why you've completely swerved it.