Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Feel good factor

Whilst there are possibly issues behind the scenes (which I have taken the approach of ignorance is bliss) I think this is the most buoyant I have felt about the club since perhaps 98 and our first few seasons in the top flight before it started to go downhill.

Really enjoyed last season and one of the best I've personally experienced but at the same time it was completely nerve wracking and immensely pressured feeling like we would be bang in trouble on and off the pitch should we not get promoted.

For me, surviving this season mid table and consolidating to be in a position to push on next year is good enough for me and anything else is a bonus. So pleased we have been able to keep the squad together and there seems to be a massive unity between the manager, the players and importantly us, which has often been missing over the past decade with a noticeable disconnect sometimes between those on the pitch and the terraces.

Don't know why, we've been in higher positions in my lifetime with international players but even during those times I don't think I felt as good about Charlton as I do at present.

We seem to have restored our pride and ambition as a club and whilst I very much doubt we will do a Norwich or Southampton this season, and perhaps push on at the rate some would hope, we seem to have completely turned around as a club from only a short time ago and are heading in the right direction.

It might all go tits up on and off the pitch but then you can spend your whole life fretting about the "what ifs" so for now I'm just really embracing the feel good factor that has returned to SE7 and long may it continue.

Comments

• Options
    I know what you mean. There was always the feeling (at least on my part) during the prem years that we were just surviving, the bubble would burst, that we'd sink, and we did. That is not to decry some wonderful performances and results during St Llewellyn's reign.
    In the championship, at the moment with our ground, team and financial situation, we have found a level where we can compete in a very open competition. Expectations of success can be realistic. A relief from the Worry about premiership survival until we get promoted. 'It is better to travel in expectation than to arrive' (WHO said that ?)
    Realistically this is our level until a billionaire with more money than sense decides to buy CAFC and turn us into the new ChelMan City
  • Options
    Good posts Rodney and Lincs and pretty much sums up how I feel at this moment
  • Options
    Certainly a good feeling around the club. Very few fanbases have the privilege of seeing their team unexpectedly win a league championship in record fashion with one of their all time greatest legends at the helm.

There still seem to be some idiots who want to keep rambling about the stuff behind the scenes at every corner, wish they would do one. Unless they're prepared to do something about it, stop moaning.
  • Options
    Tom - This is a dicussion forum and people should be encouraged to discuss all aspects of the club, not just what you want to hear.

Rodney - good post.
  • Options
    1905 said:

Tom - This is a dicussion forum and people should be encouraged to discuss all aspects of the club, not just what you want to hear.

I wasn't referring to just the forum - People were constantly fretting about it at Orient, Birmingham and Leicester.
  • Options
    But some people are worried about the safety of our club, whereas others put on their blinkers and look no further than what's happening on the pitch at 3pm on a saturday................

I don't claim to know anything that's going on behind the scenes, other than the rumours I pick up on reading threads on here, but I'd personally rather know than not..................
  • Options
    I thought Slater's notes in the programme were very reassuring considering we are facing almost certain meltdown.

:-(
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Certainly a good feeling around the club. Very few fanbases have the privilege of seeing their team unexpectedly win a league championship in record fashion with one of their all time greatest legends at the helm.

There still seem to be some idiots who want to keep rambling about the stuff behind the scenes at every corner, wish they would do one. Unless they're prepared to do something about it, stop moaning.

Spot on mate. Couldn't agree more.
  • Options
    cafctom

People are indeed doing something about it. There is a Supporters Trust meeting tonight. Why don't you go along and tell them why they are such idiots ?
  • Options
    cafctom said:

So I'm an idiot because I'm concerned about what goes on behind the scenes?

Nice one, anyone who cares about the club, raised money for the VIP scheme, ever campaigned to get back to the Valley, organised a supporters' trust, organised a Q & A session for Directors or did anything else other than go to a game is an idiot then according to you.

Sorry that other fans expressing legitimate concerns are beneath you and your superior intelligence but I'll carry on being interested in what goes on behind the scenes thanks because in case you haven't realised what happens in the board room has a big impact on what happens on the pitch.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good post Rodders, what Henry says is valid enough as well
  • Options
    edited August 2012

cafctom said:

TBF that may not be the only reason :-)

In all seriousness I also think Tom's post is out of order and an insult to the many, many people who have put their heart and soul (and cash) into our club over the years. To suggest they go elsewhere because they express a (perfectly legitimate) view he just doesn't happen to agree with is short sighted in the extreme.
  • Options
    Somehow the subject doesn't seem to fit in with the post anymore. ;-)
  • Options

cafctom said:

TBF that may not be the only reason :-)

Harsh but fair as always BA ; - )

And it was a good post by RCT. I'm certainly feeling good about the team, manager and squad and looking forward to a good season.
  • Options

cafctom

People are indeed doing something about it. There is a Supporters Trust meeting tonight. Why don't you go along and tell them why they are such idiots ?

Come on PA, I support BOTH the establishment of the Trust AND what CAFCTom is saying as I believe that us fans are being fed a line by those unhappy with the changes and taking it as gospel, ignoring the biases of those supplying this info in the first place. The Trust is needed to get across the fans' views on the running or allegations about the mismanagement and getting a direct response from the guys who run our club...
  • Options
    Ok, I probably should have explained what I meant in clearer terms. You'll see in my earlier post that there were people rambling about it at the Orient, Brum and Leicester games.

It winds me up that certain fans couldn't stop themselves harping on about what's happening whilst there is a game on and we're supposed to be backing the players who are absolutely giving us 100% commitment out there on that pitch.

Fair play to those who are doing something about it, not once have I made remarks against those. As I put in an earlier post, for those who clearly didn't read it properly, those who wind me up are the people who moan about it and do not intend on doing something to help out
  • Options
    Fair enough Tom. Personally, at a game I am more wound up by those utter twats who slag off players while they are giving the 100% you mention. And the thing is, they never go away, while the people you talk about will only be talking about off-field matters while there are reasonable grounds for some concern about those things.
  • Options
    Anyway, back to that feel good factor, It's probably what will earn us an extra 10 points at the start of the season that will make all the difference to our fortunes. No doubt the players and the staff will be in great spirits around the training ground right now, and the longer we hold onto this feeling the higher up the league we will finish imo
  • Options
    The night is darkest right before the dawn, or whatever that cheesy line from the Dark Knight says. I think that the last few horrible years means that suddenly we're so much more appreciative of a team that appear prepared to give their all, that defend for their lives when needed, play decent football, and are lead by a man who is already a legend as a player, and just seems to enjoy the job he is doing. The relationship between the fans and players is something that in my 15 years as a supporter haven't really ever appreciated as much as I have now.

We all know we're going to lose games in this division at some point, but lets just enjoy the fact that we're back and appear (at least on the pitch) to be stabilising ourselves. We've got our Charlton back!
  • Options
    @SilentAddick

" I believe that us fans are being fed a line by those unhappy with the changes and taking it as gospel, ignoring the biases of those supplying this info in the first place."

I really wish you didn't have to make such a perjorative, evidence free comment about people who are every bit as much a "fan" as you and have often devoted an unreasonable part of their lives to helping to make CAFC a much better club than it would otherwise be.

I am all for comments like those that RCT started this thread with. Personally I'll join in with that when we get past August 31st and find that Chris Solly is lining up for us at the City Ground, if thats' OK with you?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

@SilentAddick

" I believe that us fans are being fed a line by those unhappy with the changes and taking it as gospel, ignoring the biases of those supplying this info in the first place."

I really wish you didn't have to make such a perjorative, evidence free comment about people who are every bit as much a "fan" as you and have often devoted an unreasonable part of their lives to helping to make CAFC a much better club than it would otherwise be.

I am all for comments like those that RCT started this thread with. Personally I'll join in with that when we get past August 31st and find that Chris Solly is lining up for us at the City Ground, if thats' OK with you?

Deal!
  • Options
    It's fair enough that you are cautious about the future of the club after what it went through in the 80's/ early 90's.

However, the owners deserve a great deal of credit. Without Slater and Jimenez, our freefall would have continued unabated. Last year was amazing and I am very optimistic about our chances this year. Last season was a revolution, and this season is about consolidation. As the title of the thread says, the feel good factor is back and I for one am delighted.
  • Options
    Nice post Rodders.

As for those who own the club, i'm grateful they come in and invested when they did, i'm thankful for some of the decisions they have made, i'm frustrated that their model plan for financing the club wasn't robust enough to (on the outside) appear to last longer than one season, and i'm cautious of the convoluted and secretive way in which the ownership of the club, and the long-term intentions are governed.
  • Options

Nice post Rodders.

As for those who own the club, i'm grateful they come in and invested when they did, i'm thankful for some of the decisions they have made, i'm frustrated that their model plan for financing the club wasn't robust enough to (on the outside) appear to last longer than one season, and i'm cautious of the convoluted and secretive way in which the ownership of the club, and the long-term intentions are governed.

Talking about planning ahead, who's to say that they might have not been prepared for the storming success last season thinking it'd take one more arson in L1? This would have been reflected in the players contracts, promising pay increase on promotion and therefore having to face the unplanned increase in wage budget a year earlier?

This is all speculation but I can see this happening easily hence the alleged loss of the backer, but in respect the guys on the board isn't giving up on this ans this gives me hope unless there's another cadevaet for us going up again?!! A nice problem to have?
  • Options
    Don't get that Silent Addick.

So you think the backer might have left, the budget might be unbalanced but at the same time think that people are feeding us a line and are all biased?
  • Options
    cafc_joe said:

It's fair enough that you are cautious about the future of the club after what it went through in the 80's/ early 90's.

However, the owners deserve a great deal of credit. Without Slater and Jimenez, our freefall would have continued unabated. Last year was amazing and I am very optimistic about our chances this year. Last season was a revolution, and this season is about consolidation. As the title of the thread says, the feel good factor is back and I for one am delighted.

I agree, S and J might not be perfect, and some aspects about the management of the club are slightly worrying...
    But without them I'd hate to imagine what state we'd be in. Floundering in L1, fighting against doing a Bradford or Luton?
    They inherited a massive financial hole, and have steadied the ship and started turning things around. For their success so far they deserve the benefit of the doubt.
  • Options
    Henry, the reason for the backer leaving has been touted around as getting unexpected demands for cash? If its the guy we think it was, then it is, for me, not an implausible thing to deduce that he wasn't expecting this cash injection and as it is with millionaires his cash position wasnt liquid - could be rather an embarrassing position to be in for someone like him?
  • Options

cafc_joe said:

I agree, S and J might not be perfect, and some aspects about the management of the club are slightly worrying...
    But without them I'd hate to imagine what state we'd be in. Floundering in L1, fighting against doing a Bradford or Luton?
    They inherited a massive financial hole, and have steadied the ship and started turning things around. For their success so far they deserve the benefit of the doubt.

I agree up to a point.

You may want to give them the benefit of the doubt which is fine but then if all is well then what is the doubt?

Yes, they came in when we badly needed investment and deserve credit for that. But if the board did well last season then Peter Varney and Steve Kavanagh deserve just a little credit or even a word of thanks when they suddenly depart.

Money was spent on stabilising and moving the Club forward but the big question is "whose money?"

If it was TJ and MS's money then fine but I don't think that was every the case. It was nearly all Kevin Cash's money and now it seems Kevin isn't putting any more money in.

And because of that there is a lot of uncertainty and that has lead to concern.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    So all in all, for many people, any 'feelgoodfactor' is outweighed by concerns as to the financial stability of the club. This is putting the cart before the horse. Take care of the results on the field of play and the money will take care of itself. No-one will invest in a losing club unless the aim is to build luxury flats where the stadium once stood. Conversely, wealthy would be investors will consider buying or investing in a club which shows promise and potential with a winning team.
    Chris Powell is doing a wonderful job within supposed serious financial restraints. He and the players are presumably being paid on time, the cracked badge on the stand has been replaced (albeit crookedly according to some Lifers) and we have just signed Ricardo (The Monster) Fuller. There must be a few quid left in the kitty. The last thing the management and the players need is to hear and read tales of woe and doom concerning 'finance'. Any feel good factor in such circumstances will go right out the window.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    I don't get the impression that Powell feels that the rug has been pulled from under him and neither do I think that he was promised huge sums of money to spend over the summer.

If anything,he seems to have a genuine optimism about how much this squad of young players can achieve.