Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Censorship

Comments

• Options
    BIG_ROB said:

WSS said:

BIG_ROB said:

we have all seen people arrested over twitter comments.

Exactly, the poster was accountable, Twitter hasn't been closed down, to my knowledge.......
    I don't think CL has access to the considerable legal expertise Twitter has.

I'll organise a fund raiser in the back of the Cons if Mussingbird comes knocking....
    ; )
  • Options
    1. AFKA - I can't argue with: the moderators give their time to run the site so the decision is theirs. Fair enough.

2. But: 'you can go to another site' is emotion not argument.

3. Stu of Yangzhou: so there's no state forced abortion to ensure the one child per family rule anymore? There's no more repression in Tibet? Just wondering.

4. Mr Irving I have to disagree with you, I think 'self-defeating' is actually worse than pathetic. I can live with being called pathetic, but I don't think I torpedoed my argument. Ever heard of sarcasm?
  • Options

4. Mr Irving I have to disagree with you, I think 'self-defeating' is actually worse than pathetic. I can live with being called pathetic, but I don't think I torpedoed my argument. Ever heard of sarcasm?

No, never.
  • Options

1. AFKA - I can't argue with: the moderators give their time to run the site so the decision is theirs. Fair enough.

2. But: 'you can go to another site' is emotion not argument.

How is 'you can go to another site' an emotion? I agree it's not an argument - it's a solution. And if there aren't any sites exactly how you want them to be, then just start your own.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Ah Mr Irving, that it explains it. Thanks.
  • Options

3. Stu of Yangzhou: so there's no state forced abortion to ensure the one child per family rule anymore? There's no more repression in Tibet? Just wondering.

Yes, however the 'one child policy' has been changed, if both parents are only children they are not allowed two children. There isn't really any other way to control - the already enormous - population. Most Chinese people I speak to agree with the one child policy.

I never said China was perfect, just a lot better than many would have you believe.
  • Options

Yes, however the 'one child policy' has been changed, if both parents are only children they are not allowed two children. There isn't really any other way to control - the already enormous - population. Most Chinese people I speak to agree with the one child policy.

I never said China was perfect, just a lot better than many would have you believe.
    And you can buy beer in a bag !!! ;-)
  • Options

1. AFKA - I can't argue with: the moderators give their time to run the site so the decision is theirs. Fair enough. -Argument self torpedoed

2. But: 'you can go to another site' is emotion not argument. - Solution not emotion.

3. Stu of Yangzhou: so there's no state forced abortion to ensure the one child per family rule anymore? There's no more repression in Tibet? Just wondering. - What does that have to do with this thread and thread closures?

4. Mr Irving I have to disagree with you, I think 'self-defeating' is actually worse than pathetic. I can live with being called pathetic, but I don't think I torpedoed my argument. Ever heard of sarcasm? See 1.

• Options
    WSS said:

BIG_ROB said:

we have all seen people arrested over twitter comments.

Exactly, the poster was accountable, Twitter hasn't been closed down, to my knowledge.......
    I don't think CL has access to the considerable legal expertise Twitter has.

Or access to the huge bank account either. If push came to shove Twitter could take a hit without even noticing.
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

Why don't people use their real names and photos so that everyine is accountable and let's have a "free for all", no risk to the forum.....

And what a lovely sewer of a place that would be wouldn't it.....full of people like you threatening physical violence against anyone who didn't agree with you cos you'd have information about their real identities.

You come out with some cracking ideas Rob and this is right up there ;P

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    For God sake it's a forum about Charlton Athletic not the Houses of Parliament, why would you expect some sort of unqualified priveledge of free speech ?
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Dazzler
    1. It answered my original question (not subsequent argument). Torpedoes miss.
    2. Disagree.
    3. Stu wrote it on the thread. And I thought I was 'free' to answer it. Stu then came back with some interesting information so I learnt something. Thanks to Stu.
    4.see 2 above.
  • Options
    Can you define what you mean by emotion? I'm stumped.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    iainment: I'd be pleased to give you my interpretation of emotions:

Emotion is the expression of feelings - hurt, anger, hatred, love.

IMO the reply 'if you don't like it you can go to another site' implies the writer is unhappy (happiness=emotion) at what I wrote. Hence the reply was emotional (IMO).
    And it is also true, as you said, that 'you can leave' is also a solution. But whether it is a good solution to the original question is a matter of personal opinion.
  • Options

On what grounds was the Ambrose thread closed down? Doesn't freedom of speech apply on this forum.

In answer to your question, no I suppose freedom of speech doesn't apply on this forum, mainly for two reasons:

1. As an independently run site, we have a responsibility to ensure we don't get put in a difficult position by potentially libellous, slanderous or abusive comments posted on our platform. Having had legal issues in the past, we are more guarded against that than perhaps some other forums.

2. We have a desire to protect the integrity of the forum our names are against, and do what we can to endorse that. We didn't set this up to be a 'lads forum' or 'banta' site, we aim for a cross section of considered Charlton views, humour and general chat, but maintaining some form of standards. Homophobic, racist abuse, having a laugh at homophobic or racist abuse, falls well outside that.

Perhaps this is one of the instances where what we see as funny and acceptable in our mid-thirties is different to what we did when we were 20.

We take our moderation seriously because we are proud of our forum. Any busy forum that gets over 1,000 posts a day has to be moderated effectively otherwise it will completely disintegrate. It is never easy to strike to right balance and sometimes we will get it wrong. But having done it for over six years now I'm relatively confident we get it more right than wrong.

Hope that answers your question.

I understand that you do not want to run the risk potential libellous material or abusive comments.

But the one thing I have noticed that there is not a week goes by when another thread is closed I know of no other forum that brings down the axe as swiftly as this one. Other forums do not seem to have the problems you think you may get

• Options
    Se9addick:

Because I was born in England. It is our birthright. In the Houses Parliament and on CL.
  • Options

Se9addick:

Because I was born in England. It is our birthright. In the Houses Parliament and on CL.

You're funny.

• Options

On what grounds was the Ambrose thread closed down? Doesn't freedom of speech apply on this forum.

In answer to your question, no I suppose freedom of speech doesn't apply on this forum, mainly for two reasons:

1. As an independently run site, we have a responsibility to ensure we don't get put in a difficult position by potentially libellous, slanderous or abusive comments posted on our platform. Having had legal issues in the past, we are more guarded against that than perhaps some other forums.

2. We have a desire to protect the integrity of the forum our names are against, and do what we can to endorse that. We didn't set this up to be a 'lads forum' or 'banta' site, we aim for a cross section of considered Charlton views, humour and general chat, but maintaining some form of standards. Homophobic, racist abuse, having a laugh at homophobic or racist abuse, falls well outside that.

Perhaps this is one of the instances where what we see as funny and acceptable in our mid-thirties is different to what we did when we were 20.

We take our moderation seriously because we are proud of our forum. Any busy forum that gets over 1,000 posts a day has to be moderated effectively otherwise it will completely disintegrate. It is never easy to strike to right balance and sometimes we will get it wrong. But having done it for over six years now I'm relatively confident we get it more right than wrong.

I understand that you do not want to run the risk potential libellous material or abusive comments.

But the one thing I have noticed that there is not a week goes by when another thread is closed I know of no other forum that brings down the axe as swiftly as this one. Other forums do not seem to have the problems you think you may get

Which others sites?

• Options
    Thanks. That's an improvement on pathetic.
  • Options

Se9addick:

You think you're birthright is unqualified freedom of speech ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

iainment: I'd be pleased to give you my interpretation of emotions:

Emotion is the expression of feelings - hurt, anger, hatred, love.

IMO the reply 'if you don't like it you can go to another site' implies the writer is unhappy (happiness=emotion) at what I wrote. Hence the reply was emotional (IMO).
    And it is also true, as you said, that 'you can leave' is also a solution. But whether it is a good solution to the original question is a matter of personal opinion.

If you are going to quote me then quote what I actually said 'If that's too much for you then you have the choice not to use this forum'.

And yes it was an emotional response if you want to term it that. Having took the time to explain reasons to you, you seemed to deliberately misinterpret it and post about Big Brother watching etc. I felt like I had wasted my time.

It does however remain a valid solution to anyone who doesn't enjoy the site or how it is run, simply don't use it.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    As the man said, I may not agree with you but I will defend to the death your right to make an ass of yourself.
    Nonetheless, AFKA's right. Nuff said.
  • Options

Se9addick:

Total crap.

Stick to Millwall sites, spanner.
  • Options

That might be because you do not access a large amount of forums?

Another forum I use, Electricians Forum, is often having threads shut down for abusive, libellous comments. Its not just this forum
  • Options
    AFKA:

Apologies for misquoting you - you said 'if that's too much for you then you have the choice not to use this forum'.
    which I incorrectly changed to: if you don't like it you can go to another site and you can leave. Both errors on my part.

Regards to enjoying the site: Generally if you don't like greens then you don't eat them.

Whereas I wrote that I had been reading comments for sometime that were
    interesting, entertaining and educational - all of which contradict your assumption.
  • Options

That might be because you do not access a large amount of forums?

Another forum I use, Electricians Forum, is often having threads shut down for abusive, libellous comments. Its not just this forum
    Too true; that "which is best AC or DC?" thread got really nasty.

• Options
    Stu of Yangzhou:

Care to elaborate a bit more.
  • Options
  • Options

Stu of Yangzhou:

Care to elaborate a bit more.

When someone runs an internet forum (or anywhere, really) they have the right to implement any rules they see fit, you have no 'birthright' to breach those rules.
  • Options
    That is an excellent point. I haven't actually read the rules. Can tell me where they are please.