Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Censorship

On what grounds was the Ambrose thread closed down? Doesn't freedom of speech apply on this forum.

Comments

• Options
    Got to admit Admin seem to be far too touchy nowadays .
  • Options
    Agreed. Too much censorship is not good.
  • Options
    All we need now is a little rob to complete the set
  • Options
    Don't like the way they run their forum, don't use it. Pretty simple really.
  • Options

Nothing wrong with asking a question on a forum, pretty simple really..

• Options
    There's a problem when the people who run and finance the forum have asked for these threads not to be started. If you want to ask the question, pm one of the admins, not complicated is it.
  • Options
    If those who want complete freedom want to leave their email and/or postal address so that all legal matters can be handled by them, please do.

Sometimes a thread just runs its course and goes around in circles, the season's started - lets talk about football now eh? I didn't shut it down by the way.

There are plenty of other unmoderated Charlton forums around if that's your kind of thing in terms of free-for-all.
  • Options
    Freedom of speech does not exist anymore no, but footballers Lawyers Do and they are probably quite good and I don't think anyone would want CL shut down for allowing defamation/slander towards a professional footballer.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What time is kick-off tonight at The Valley ?
  • Options

On what grounds was the Ambrose thread closed down? Doesn't freedom of speech apply on this forum.

Just read through that threaf and i Would love to know your definition of freedom of speech !
  • Options
    I'm not a moderator on this forum but i think it is "policed" very reasonably.
    The range of discussion on here is vast, and in many ways this is just about as good a forum as you could wish to meet.
    Long may it continue.
    I have often thought of it as a sort of all in pub chat where side by side discussions go from the origin of the universe to how the hell did he miss it from there.
    But of course it is published "pub chat" on here, which brings in other responsibilities and considerations for this site's admin, as well as for us, the contributors.
    I think it is fair to say that reasoned debate on here is rarely if ever closed down. There is often generous licence applied to discussions that border on slanging matches or descend into offensive/ potentially libellous comments.
    We get the right to ask why discussions are closed either openly or in private, but equally, admin have the right to terminate threads as they think proper.
    To my mind that is not censorship it's a sensible and fair way to run a site like this.
    Just my view. :-)

• Options

Never thought of that, cheers.

; )
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Christ, there are some holier than tho 'arse licking teachers pets 'around here!
  • Options
    I agree, I wish people just disagreed with each other and slagged everyone off all the time. Oh.
  • Options

Christ, there are some holier than tho 'arse licking teachers pets 'around here!

Plenty of proper tools as well.

• Options
    It's never going to be sweetness and light 24/7 WSS........we are all different characters.
    Some things that admin let go on here I totally disagree with....from time to time in oneway or another I and others let it be known (as in the ludicrous players haven't been paid thread)....no one can get it right 100% of the time but generally the standards on here are top notch.....we all know it's complicated keeping everyone happy.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Freedom of speech does not exist anymore no, but footballers Lawyers Do and they are probably quite good and I don't think anyone would want CL shut down for allowing defamation/slander towards a professional footballer.

At what point in history do you believe there was greater freedom of speech?
  • Options
    In dinosaur times
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

In answer to your question, no I suppose freedom of speech doesn't apply on this forum, mainly for two reasons:

1. As an independently run site, we have a responsibility to ensure we don't get put in a difficult position by potentially libellous, slanderous or abusive comments posted on our platform. Having had legal issues in the past, we are more guarded against that than perhaps some other forums.

2. We have a desire to protect the integrity of the forum our names are against, and do what we can to endorse that. We didn't set this up to be a 'lads forum' or 'banta' site, we aim for a cross section of considered Charlton views, humour and general chat, but maintaining some form of standards. Homophobic, racist abuse, having a laugh at homophobic or racist abuse, falls well outside that.

Perhaps this is one of the instances where what we see as funny and acceptable in our mid-thirties is different to what we did when we were 20.

We take our moderation seriously because we are proud of our forum. Any busy forum that gets over 1,000 posts a day has to be moderated effectively otherwise it will completely disintegrate. It is never easy to strike to right balance and sometimes we will get it wrong. But having done it for over six years now I'm relatively confident we get it more right than wrong.

Hope that answers your question.
  • Options
    I thought it was cause someone mentioned a Millwall ground share
  • Options
    Seems fair enough to me AFKA...I was in my teens & early 20's in the 80's and what I thought was OK then certainly isn't considered to be OK now...if you get my drift.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    And

Plenty of proper tools as well.

As you so often go out of your way to point out.
  • Options

Now you see soundas that's just the sort of defamatory remark that should get you banned forever! ;-)

• Options
    This thread needs to be closed.
  • Options

In answer to your question, no I suppose freedom of speech doesn't apply on this forum, mainly for two reasons:

1. As an independently run site, we have a responsibility to ensure we don't get put in a difficult position by potentially libellous, slanderous or abusive comments posted on our platform. Having had legal issues in the past, we are more guarded against that than perhaps some other forums.

2. We have a desire to protect the integrity of the forum our names are against, and do what we can to endorse that. We didn't set this up to be a 'lads forum' or 'banta' site, we aim for a cross section of considered Charlton views, humour and general chat, but maintaining some form of standards. Homophobic, racist abuse, having a laugh at homophobic or racist abuse, falls well outside that.

Perhaps this is one of the instances where what we see as funny and acceptable in our mid-thirties is different to what we did when we were 20.

We take our moderation seriously because we are proud of our forum. Any busy forum that gets over 1,000 posts a day has to be moderated effectively otherwise it will completely disintegrate. It is never easy to strike to right balance and sometimes we will get it wrong. But having done it for over six years now I'm relatively confident we get it more right than wrong.

Hope that answers your question.
    Poof
  • Options
    Over the past year or so I have been reading threads on here where posters have been challenging the Neanderthal views of a small minority of Charlton fans regards the Lisbie song and Mr Ambrose. I think this is a good thing. It might actually make a difference in some cases. The views expressed have been interesting, entertaining and educational. They fall within the bounds of which I would call reasonable freedom of speech. They certainly wouldn't lead to the site being 'shut down'.
    Now if I've understood correctly, the answer to my question is because of legal considerations. Ok so lets have clear guidelines:

1. No fan will start a thread criticizing other Charlton fans using racist or homophobic chants - you just have to lump
    it.
    2. A fan will always start a thread along the lines of: 'How many did we take to Rotherham' or 'Didn't we sing well at
    Fulham'.

3. Every fan will repeat: everything is rosy in the Charlton garden.

Remember: BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU
  • Options
    Better Big Brother watching you than you watching Big Brother. FACT.
  • Options
    Why don't people use their real names and photos so that everyine is accountable and let's have a "free for all", no risk to the forum.....