Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lloyd Sam

Comments

• Options
    colthe3rd said:

I'm going to watch a game in September, could be very odd seeing Lloydy playing

Yep, would be a first !

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Don't get the hate. Similar level to Wagstaff and Green. Some reason he had much higher expectations so is seen as an underachiever.

Overrated by those that seem to hate him, did a decent job in League 1 in a team without any goalscoring strikers. Not actually capable of what some expected of him.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Good luck to him. He was loads sbetter than Kyle Read.

Would disagree. Thought that Kyel Reid was technically one of the best players we've had in recent years but was low on confidence (as was the whole team).

Fantastic pace, crossing ability and shot on him.
    I don't know if it was confidence Reid lacked. It was effort in my opinion. He never looked like he was trying his hardest.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Don't get the hate. Similar level to Wagstaff and Green. Some reason he had much higher expectations so is seen as an underachiever.

Overrated by those that seem to hate him, did a decent job in League 1 in a team without any goalscoring strikers. Not actually capable of what some expected of him.

Good post, Scoham. Well said.

• Options
    Hate is not the right word. If the Olympic rule of not trying was enforced in football he would get dragged off every week. Oopss , he was !
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Scoham said:

Good post, Scoham. Well said.

Agree. Don't understand why anyone would harbor a grudge.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Scoham said:

I think the higher expectations came about because he came through in the prem days and, in all too brief flashes, showed that he had the skill levels to play there.

I think he did try but just had a naturally languid style. One of those players who flattered to deceive. Give me a Robinson or Wagstaff every time. Not as aesthetically pleasing perhaps but reliable and consistent.
  • Options
    Did I win that.bet when he went Leeds
  • Options
    I paid to the Upbeats, don't worry you silly old sod.
  • Options
    Question: How the hell does he qualify for a USA work visa?

(Good Luck to him by the way....it'll be an amazing move if it comes off)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Yes, Lloyd Sam going to the Red Bulls for a trial probably says something about the quality of the MLS. Completely agree. But that likely means something different to me than to others.

To the extent folks are interested, the union for the MLS players makes public all salaries for all the team's in the league, including salaries through the beginning of August (but doesn't include Cahill).

We see a bit of A-League football here as it is broadcast live on weekend nights. For those with young children, it is a useful distraction for getting them back to sleep. The level of play seems pretty different. We had Danny Allsopp here and (one of our favorites) Fred, who have now returned to the Melbourne Victory and Heart respectively. Both struggled with the level of play in the MLS and Fred ended up relegated as a reserve before going back to the A-League and being designated the Heart's player of the year in April.

But the "is this country's league closer to our Championship, League One, League Two, or non-league" football comparisons continue to amuse me. I'm certain MLS teams would struggle to compete in England's mighty NPower Championship and they probably quake at the thought of ever facing the indomitable Perth Glory.

All leagues have crap teams and crap matches and, yet, all seem to be able to produce transcendent talent. Lloyd Sam, if he ends up with the Red Bulls (are we really judging the quality of a team by players they have on trial?), will be asked to relieve some of the pressure on Connor Lade. You probably don't know and don't care who Connor Lade is, so never mind, and back to slagging off a player that failed to meet expectations.

OK then, what standard do you think that the MLS actually is?

If they do bring in players like Lloyd Sam - who is about L1/CCC level in England - then what does that suggest? It seems that the MLS is a combination of top-class ageing players and good up and coming local players with a few journeymen thrown in.

You are right about one thing though, Perth Glory are dog shit, probably because they are mananed by a dour Scot.
  • Options
    I'd say the Top 5 MLS clubs could easily compete in the Championship
  • Options
    DanDavis said:

I'd say the Top 5 MLS clubs could easily compete in the Championship

Maybe, but the style of play is very, very different.

Very few leagues are as physical as the CCC and L1/L2, the sheer number of games would be very hard for the MLS teams to cope with.
  • Options
    edited August 2012

OK then, what standard do you think that the MLS actually is?

If they do bring in players like Lloyd Sam - who is about L1/CCC level in England - then what does that suggest? It seems that the MLS is a combination of top-class ageing players and good up and coming local players with a few journeymen thrown in.

You are right about one thing though, Perth Glory are dog shit, probably because they are mananed by a dour Scot.

I don't know what standard it is. MLS has restricted rosters and a salary cap, so the depth on any team is generally lacking. You are correct that it would be difficult to add four more weeks to the MLS season and play twelve more league fixtures -- setting to one side all of the additional cup games.

I would say -- as everyone has probably heard before -- that the quality of play has increased dramatically over the last five years. Right now, rumors that EPL teams would be interested in at least four players on the roster of my local side would have to be taken seriously. Nothing will come of those flattering whispers, but their existence reflects strides in the game here.

Whatever the response is to America's new nascent interest in the game, one thing to keep in mind is that this country does a decent job developing athletes. We remain, however, terrible at identifying and developing talent in soccer -- due in large part to pointless disputes between various factions involved in the sport and the restrictions that the MLS's unique single entity structure demands. An objective interest in arbitrage points to the U.S. being fertile ground for recruitment of undervalued players that have pretty well developed skills but limited opportunities in the U.S. market.

Maybe this state of affairs changes in the near term, but I think it is more likely that more exceptional young players refuse to sign with the MLS and ply their trade in Scandinavia (if they don't qualify for an EU passport) or in more mainstream European leagues (if they do) and more European clubs begin to realize that academic scholarships to American universities can improve on the opportunities available to kids in their academies if they don't make the grade.

If we get better about identifying talent, the skill continues to improve, and revenue appreciably increases (which, given the television coverage the sport has begun to enjoy this season, is a distinct possibility), then what the MLS is today is not what it will be four years from now. I can easily imagine a league that competes for top Central and South American talent against the Primera or South American leagues, continues to make inroads into recruitment in Africa and Asia, and supplements them with aging top-class players in dismal markets like Salt Lake City or Columbus.
  • Options
    DanDavis said:

Question: How the hell does he qualify for a USA work visa?

(Good Luck to him by the way....it'll be an amazing move if it comes off)

Work visa requirements for professional soccer players don't seem to be very restrictive. The bigger obstacle is the MLS roster rule restrictions on international players. Every club has 8 international roster spots but can acquire more in trades with other teams. The Red Bulls roster is filled with international players, but they just acquired another slot in a trade so perhaps that is the spot that Sam is auditioning for.
  • Options
    Thanks collegeparkaddick for the info and the link to the salary information in your previous post. Interesting to have a quick scan through that. MLS games are on at 9am on a Sunday morning here in Bangkok and I have them on while reading the Sunday paper. I've seen some excellent games and have seen a massive improvement in the last couple of seasons. I don't think it is really possible to compare the leagues as a whole - different styles of play, different restraints on player acquisition as collegeparkaddick pointed out. On a one game scenario it appears that the MLS teams are significantly behind the top European sides who have toured this summer (again all games been on TV here) but some of the smaller Prem teams and ex Prem have struggled. I like the MLS and hope it continues to grow and prosper.
  • Options
    As an aside to this its recently been reported that the New York Cosmos will join the NASL (America's Championship Division) next season.......Soccer is certainly growing here.
  • Options
    Mr. Sam has apparently done enough to warrant an offer of a contract.

Should it be worked out, it is one more reason for me to head up to Harrison to see the new stadium.
  • Options
    The new York red bulls play in a really shit area of new jersey. Charlton is cosmopolitan by comparison
  • Options
    if i had to choose playing in league one or playing in the states i'd pick the states every time. Good luck to him
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Me too. Fair shout
  • Options

if i had to choose playing in league one or playing in the states i'd pick the states every time. Good luck to him

Depends where in the States you end up, NY, LA or Chicago would be great I would not be quite so keen on Salt Lake City or other "flyover" cities.
  • Options

Remember the New England Teamen?

They had half the Charlton team playing for them!

• Options
    HARRISON, NJ (August 16, 2012) – The New York Red Bulls announced today that the club has signed midfielder Lloyd Sam. The 27-year-old will be available for selection pending the receipt of his International Transfer Certificate and P-1 visa.

“Lloyd has impressed our coaching staff during his trial in New York and we are pleased to sign him,” said Red Bulls General Manager and Sporting Director Erik Soler. “He is someone who has good speed and can play a number of roles in our squad.”

A native of Leeds, England, Sam joins the Red Bulls after most recently featuring for English League One (third division) side Notts County. Sam joined the club on loan from Leeds United in March 2012 and scored five goals in 10 appearances, highlighted by a hat trick on April 9 as Notts County knocked off Yeovil Town, 3-1. From the 2010-11 season until his loan to Notts County, Sam played in 35 matches for Leeds United in England’s Championship, scoring twice.

Sam started his professional career with English side Charlton Athletic, then of the Premier League, in 2003 at the age of 18. In 2004, he went on loan to League One side Leyton Orient, appearing in 10 matches. He had two additional loan spells while with Charlton, spending time in 2006 with Championship side Sheffield Wednesday and in 2007 with Southend United. Sam became a fixture in Charlton’s starting lineup beginning with the 2007-08 season in the Championship and continued there until his final season with the club, when Charlton played in League One in 2009-10. Overall, Sam made 119 appearances for Charlton, scoring six times.
  • Options
    I can imagine the lure of living the American lifestyle actually made him put in some extra effort.

He certainly liked to enjoy himself!
  • Options
    Thierry Henry, Tim Cahill & Lloyd Sam (snigger).
  • Options
    I can see it now "And Henry slots the main man through and it's LLLOOOYYDDD SAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM WHAT A GOAL FROM THE FOCAL POINT OF THIS RED BULLS TEAM"
  • Options
    Lloyd Sam came on as a late substitute for Red Bulls tonight against the local squad. Few minutes, but he was lively and played a role in New York's late equalizer.

• Options
    They have trials for the janitor position. Wow.