Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Steve Kavanagh Left The Club

Comments

• Options
    When you take over a failing business and start turning it around, it's fairly normal that there'll be some parting of the ways between existing staff and the new owners.

Whether that's the old guard not liking the working methods of the new people, or the new people not really wanting them around anymore, or indeed some completely unrelated reason, we may never know. It happened (a lot more quickly) with the playing and management staff.
  • Options

When people say they have heard from sources at the club, I am presuming people who work there. Well maybe these people who work there have had their comfort blankets taken away. They have always worked under the RM & PV regime, when PV left the first time RM was still in charge.When PV came back with the new owners RM took a back seat and PV was back in situe. Well PV has now gone RM no longer has the power, maybe the sources are a little worried possibly scared as they haven't been in this situation before. The new owners maybe making changes, we have all been in a situation where a new boss comes in makes changes to how we have done things for many years, this can sometimes feel very unnerving and frightning but doesn't always mean things will go tits up.

I'm not saying this is the case but, it could be the reason for negative vibes coming out of the club, I would be more inclined to believe the bad vibed if they were from board members as opposed to employees. As yet I don't think this has been the case becauseIMHO all of the so called sources are employees.

Exactly. I'll only get worried when we're in Pompei's position and things are desparate
  • Options
    Guess you mean when we covered in hot, molten lava ( substitute your own wording here!) with no way of digging ourselves free, VM ?

Hmmm. Let's hope that was just a spelling mistake....
  • Options

"slater talks shit" FFS this would be the man as part ofthe Board that got CP the team / squad he wanted a few months back and was part of the TEAM that got us 101 points !!!!!!!

No idea whats happening but im not going to slag off the Board for some GOSSIP on here. When or IF ----THATS if there will be plenty of time to sling shit and mud.

Agree totally. Never met Slater, but so far he seems honourable - charity marathons, understands football through the eyes of a fan (albeit Citeh) as well as financier, chaired major investment last summer.
  • Options
    Why don't we just all boycot buying beer, grub and merchandise in the ground/club shop until someone on the board tell us who owns the club and what is happenining financially. Presumably the threat of loss of revenue will force them to comply.
  • Options
    That really is poor from the SLP - no wonder the club is speaking to them if they just trot out sound bites like that without questioning the potentially bigger picture. Did they have someone at the Barnet game? I wonder if CP is taking questions on the boardroom rumours?
  • Options

When people say they have heard from sources at the club, I am presuming people who work there. Well maybe these people who work there have had their comfort blankets taken away. They have always worked under the RM & PV regime, when PV left the first time RM was still in charge.When PV came back with the new owners RM took a back seat and PV was back in situe. Well PV has now gone RM no longer has the power, maybe the sources are a little worried possibly scared as they haven't been in this situation before. The new owners maybe making changes, we have all been in a situation where a new boss comes in makes changes to how we have done things for many years, this can sometimes feel very unnerving and frightning but doesn't always mean things will go tits up.

I'm not saying this is the case but, it could be the reason for negative vibes coming out of the club, I would be more inclined to believe the bad vibed if they were from board members as opposed to employees. As yet I don't think this has been the case becauseIMHO all of the so called sources are employees.

Exactly. I'll only get worried when we're in Pompei's position and things are desparate
    Is it lot a little late by then?
  • Options

Guess you mean when we covered in hot, molten lava ( substitute your own wording here!) with no way of digging ourselves free, VM ?

Hmmm. Let's hope that was just a spelling mistake....

It was, there was an i missing.
  • Options
    Just because changes are being made, it doesn't mean that they're necessarily for the worst.

It could be that the unhappy staff are right, that SK is being forced out by a group of nasty/ruthless/incompetent owners who are trying to destroy the club and will lead us to ruin.

Or

Maybe the staff leaking their moans and groans are just bitter staff who don't like having to change their work practices, ot are living in the past. Maybe SK wasn't as good at his job as he should be, none of us know. After all those staff were there for the good times in the PL, but also in the decline afterwards when the club was badly mismanaged on and off the pitch.

Maybe Slater is telling the truth, nothing that has happened so far suggests he is untrustworthy.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    @NSS - agree broadly with that
    @VMcM - not sure if that was being sarky, should be concerned but maybe not worried.

There are many of us out here who have worked for companies who have been subjected to takeovers. Invariably after a period of time there is a clearout 'upstairs'. Sometimes this is for the good, sometimes not... only time will tell but it is right for us as fans to be concerned and keep a watching brief; or if savvy enough, like PA, do some digging.

All I know is when it has happen where I worked, that as an employee there was bu**er all I could do to affect it and as 'consumers' the main action we would have is to change supplier - which ain't gonna happen; so IMHO all we can do, in the words of BP (Baden not Bradley), is to 'Be Prepared'

Wild accusations, and posts both of (excessive) doom and rosiness don't do anyone any good, neither does digging out our resident Victor Meldrews and Pollyannas
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Another well spoken piece....
  • Options
    fattmatt said:

Why don't we just all boycot buying beer, grub and merchandise in the ground/club shop until someone on the board tell us who owns the club and what is happenining financially. Presumably the threat of loss of revenue will force them to comply.

Please tell me that was a joke?

We think we're in financial trouble, yet we're not going to hold our money back from the club as a way of trying to HELP the situation??
  • Options
    Great post @Cataddick entirely how I see it
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Like most of us, my main aim is to go to watch football at The Valley, support the team and generally try to enjoy the experience, win or lose.
    I have no real access to information on the financial affairs of the club, and there is a clear policy to keep the ownership secret. So I am just a "customer" in the dark. ( yes I am of course a fan, but football is still essentially a business)
    Generally speaking, rumour and conjecture are normally damaging to a business so I would have expected a robust denial of the claims made, and concerted effort to show that it is all unfounded speculation.
    However, we have not seen that, have we?
    That is what I find worrying, because several clubs are in trouble, why are we not clearly stating loudly WE are viable and stable unless there is a problem? Surely we would be anxious to show we are fine because it makes good business sense to do so?
    Just the view from a season ticket holder who wants his club to be ok.
  • Options
    3blokes said:

Like most of us, my main aim is to go to watch football at The Valley, support the team and generally try to enjoy the experience, win or lose.
    I have no real access to information on the financial affairs of the club, and there is a clear policy to keep the ownership secret. So I am just a "customer" in the dark. ( yes I am of course a fan, but football is still essentially a business)
    Generally speaking, rumour and conjecture are normally damaging to a business so I would have expected a robust denial of the claims made, and concerted effort to show that it is all unfounded speculation.
    However, we have not seen that, have we?
    That is what I find worrying, because several clubs are in trouble, why are we not clearly stating WE are viable and stable loudly unless there is a problem? Surely we would be anxious to show we are fine because it makes good business sense to do so?
    Just the view from a season ticket holder who wants his club to be ok.

Agree entirely, I understand that it's not a given to expect any type of response from the board with regards to rumours and agree that any type of response given is likely to criticised by some people, my concern rightly or wrongly is that I always believed Slater to be quite a bullish individual in terms of his communications with the press and fans. He was extremely proactive last summer in stressing the investment in the squad and the impact it would have. I seem to recall also that he lead a number of interviews around this time last year where he was extremely optimistic about our chances of promotion even too the point of what could have been perceived as derogatory comments to others clubs and there chances of promotion.

In fairness he sounds cheesed off by it all, citing the word "ridiculous" would indicate this and as I predicted he seems to base these rumours on our discontent at the lack transfer activity which isnt the main source of the concern in my impression.

Time will ultimately tell
  • Options

Great post @Cataddick entirely how I see it

Don't! you're making me blush!

@3blokes - football clubs never make that statement, neither do many companies apart from trumpeting financials. Publicly saying we are a well run football club will NOT put more bums on seats. Privately saying we are a well run football club may attract new investment.

Yes, I'm concerned as I have seen some restructures go belly up BUT I have seen more succeed. We haven't set the world alight on the transfer front BUT we are still a net buyer (so far).

TBH I get more concerned when a company DOES robustly deny rumours as it makes me think of the chairman's vote of confidence in a failing manager.....

• Options
    I think as a fan it is rather difficult to have faith in a board of directors who appear not to want to communicate with the fans, except with pr releases to local press, and web messages hours after they appear as rumours on sites like this. The brief that the current board has is a business model that I know little about, by individuals that elect others to speak for them. I think as fans most of us want the club to move forward and develop the team and club and get back to where we were a few years ago. I feel the present board may share that opinion, but may also have other ideas and plans. Of course only they know what there vision for Charlton is . As welcome as it would be I do not think that the board are going to divulge there plan, or discuss money etc.
    Unlike the previous regimes, I felt there was a trust and a bond beetween club, board and directors. Perhaps it still exists, but I feel that rather like the special relationship beetween UK and the USA that is supposed to exist it is wishful thinking on our parts as fans.
    In those circumstances, fans have a perfect right to question the governace of the club, and the future.
    If fans are happy to let the club be run by shadowy figures, then you have your wish. I am one who would like to know a little bit more about the business plans, but do not expect them to be shared.
    I am also increasingly depressed with some fans who wish to pass of this legitimate concern as some sort of negative moaning.
    If you are happy, fine stay happy, and I hope you enjoy the football, I hope I do to, although I have concerns and the lack of transparency in communication on some key issues is a cause for concern.

• Options
    Ken - I agree. More transparency would probably have resulted in no rumours and no need for denials!
    But, as you say, the chances of that with this board look vanishingly small. All we can do is trust (note NOT blindly trust) they know what they are doing, but as I said above, be prepared.

I am determined to enjoy the football as I think the squad 'as is' will probably manage mid table BUT I will be also concerned over the future ....
  • Options
    when a CEO resigns and the only response from the company is a carefully worded non specific piece of double talk, and no statement from the departing CEO - things are up,
  • Options
    Cool heads needed people . please please please do not slag each other off , diasagree, have a different point of view , but don't fall out , its embarassing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The lack of information is certainly worrying and strange that it hasn't affected the performances of the players (yet?). We have made some signings and Kermogant has extended his contract and no high profile players have been sold (yet?).
  • Options
    Probing report from the SLP there, nice to see that journalistic independence and objectivity are thriving!
  • Options

The lack of information is certainly worrying and strange that it hasn't affected the performances of the players (yet?). We have made some signings and Kermogant has extended his contract and no high profile players have been sold (yet?).

I don't see why it should affect the players. They're probably having the time of their life still having just won a championship and in the prime of their youth.

I'd be surprised if they spend time reading through all of the things that come up on Charlton Life. Us, as supporters, probably know ten times more about how our club is run than the players do.
  • Options
    when a CEO resigns and the only response from the company is a carefully worded non specific piece of double talk, and no statement from the departing CEO - things are up,
    But what else should they say?

Suppose they pushed out SK because they thought he wasn't good enough do you expect them to issue a statement saying "We think SK is hopeless, he couldn't manage a piss up in a brewery, can't wait to get shot of him"

Or, maybe there was a boardroom row "SK is leaving because he hates our guts and thinks we are a bunch of crook, we had a massive bust up, and nearly came to blows"

Whether he's leaving or was pushed, he'll be negotiating his leaving terms, and both sides will say nothing other than what was agreed.
  • Options
    And why should the board reply to every bit of internet gossip?

If the Sun or BBC came out with a big negative story about us, then yes I would expect a major statement and press conference etc, but not to stories going around on a few minor internet boards. Can you imagine how many rumours must go around about the likes of Man U and Arsenal, imagine having to reply to all of them!
  • Options
    One of the things that nobody seems to have picked up on is that the statement says he has resigned as a director - and that is significant. Yes he can continue as CEO (although without any real power) but resigning as a company director has legal ramifications. When you are a company director you have certain legal requirements relating to all sorts of things like financial transactions, health & safety, etc. (I'm not sure of all the responsibilities) - but basically you can be held accountable legally for misdoings. It could be that Steve is unhappy with some impending transaction, way of doing business or something of that nature that he feels may be either legally or morally wrong? Just yet another piece of guesswork but not being a director certainly removes some legal obligations.
  • Options
    it isnt internet gossip, it was said he had resigned, and he had
  • Options
    also it clearly was only announced because it was leaked, no one trusts this Board because they are closed and guarded (prior to these shennanigans).
  • Options
    razil said:

also it clearly was only announced because it was leaked, no one trusts this Board because they are closed and guarded (prior to these shennanigans).

agree

• Options
    razil said:

I don't agree with that. I recall Peter Varney's departure coming from the OS first before people were discussing it on here.

SK's depature was announced a couple of hours after it was leaked on here. I don't think they would have just not mentioned it at all had we not known.