Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

No signings-big deal?

13»

Comments

• Options
    I think we should be top third with current team - Norwich and Southampton kicked on to a double promotion - Norwich didn't spend to do it (they didn't spend to consolidate in the prem).It will be fine and we will have new signings anyway.
    check your 'facts'
  • Options
    I will be surprised if we don't announce a signing today what with it being the 1st July and all. I'm surprised there hasn't been many signings announced today by anyone.
  • Options
    I would like to think we will announce at least 1 signing tomorrow, as will a lot of clubs I think
  • Options
    I will be surprised if we don't announce a signing today what with it being the 1st July and all. I'm surprised there hasn't been many signings announced today by anyone.
    Maybe as it's sunday not but hopefully this week

• Options
    edited July 2012
    I think we should be top third with current team - Norwich and Southampton kicked on to a double promotion - Norwich didn't spend to do it (they didn't spend to consolidate in the prem).It will be fine and we will have new signings anyway.
    check your 'facts'
    10 signings.
    2 frees.
    7 'undisclosed' fees.
    1 fee (300k).

6 loan signings over the season also, two of which were made permanent in January (Leon Barnett, Aaron Wilbraham). However none were 'season long' from August to May (Lansbury was from November to May).

They released six players and got undisclosed fees for another three.
  • Options
    Tbf though Norwich didn't get 101 points they needed the signings ;-)
  • Options
    tbf norwich got promoted from league one with docherty as a regular so they had some good players carrying the team
  • Options
    ^^^^ Doherty was voted the fans' player of the year. They know a thing or three do the Norfolk folk
  • Options
    I didn't start this thread to be negative or panic - quite the opposite.

• Options
    I would still like to see us add one quality Championship striker. Currently we have BWP( not a great scoring record in this league), Yann (only scored 1 in 20 games in this league) , Haynes (injury prone) , Hayes (going ???) Clarke (not very good IMO) - if we start the season with just these five then we could have problems.

Defensive wise - probably need 1 more centre half, but as long as we don't pick up injuries then 2 out of Taylor, Morrison & Cort should be good enough.

I creative midfielder to unlock defences would be helpful - otherwise we could be ok.

Goalkeeper - back up for Hamer...........Sulivan not good enough imho (anyone at Preston last away game last season will testify to that)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I would also say new gk, quick cb, rb cover, new left footed winger, a playmaker and a striker. Add a couple of younger players for future potential and that should do us, and see where we are in Jan
  • Options
    I reckon Stephens has the potential to be the creative midfielder people are talking about. He showed his fantastic passing ability inconsistently last season but he still had the ability to unlock defenses. If he can just work on his passing and become more consistent with it he will turn into a good creative midfielder.
  • Options
    A new GK is not a priority imho, am a big fan of Hamer and Sullivan is a decent back up (one dodgy performance at Preston does not mean he is a donkey). No point us spending money on a new GK and his wages when in all likelihood he is going to sit on the bench all year. If Hamer loses form or gets injured then we can use the loan market if necessary. We don't have a bottomless pit and other areas are more important to invest in.

• Options
    As we know Norwich completed back to back promotions and have had a comfortable first season back in the top flight.

Although you can not never make a direct comparison between two different clubs I thought it might be interesting to see how little or how much Norwich changed their side at each step on the way as we look to emulate their record.

These were the 11 players who made the most appearances in their League 1 winning season.

GK Fraser Forster 38
    DF Russell Martin 26
    DF Gary Doherty 39
    DF Michael Nelson 28
    DF Adam Drury 35
    MF Darel Russell 34
    MF Korey Smith 36
    MF Simon Lappin 42
    MF Wes Hoolahan 36
    FW Grant Holt 39
    FW Chris Martin 36

Then in 2010/11 City signed 10 new players. Seven in the summer and 3 in January. They moved on 8 including Doc and Darel Russell while Forster, who was on loan, went to Celtic.

Their 11 players in the 2010/11 promotion season with the most starts were:

GK John Ruddy 46
    DF Russell Martin 49
    DF Elliott Ward 41
    DF Leon Barnett 26
    DF Adam Drury 21
    MF David Fox 33
    MF Andrew Crofts 44
    MF Simon Lappin 22/
    MF Wes Hoolahan 39
    FW Grant Holt 46
    FW Chris Martin 23

Players surviving from the previous season in bold. So six of the previous season's main players also played a significant role in the 2010/11 success. The other five were all purchases, four in the summer and one, Barnett, in the January window.

This current season Norwich's most used XI (up to 1 March) have been

GK John Ruddy 25
    RB Kyle Naughton 22
    CB Russell Martin 25
    CB Bradley Johnson 19
    LB Marc Tierney 17
    DM David Fox 21
    RM Anthony Pilkington 20
    AM Wes Hoolahan 22
    LM Andrew Surman 17
    FW Steve Morison 20
    FW Grant Holt 17

Just three survivors from two seasons before. Norwich bought 10 new players this term and moved on 13.

Another thing of note is how British the Norwich first team is. All the of 2011/12 XI are from the British Isles and seven are English. None of the three sides listed here include a non-British Isles player.
  • Options
    From an article from May

Rest of article including Southampton stats here

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/47951/new-article-the-norwich-factor#latest
  • Options
    If the club are going for the academy route then we have Nick Pope as back up keeper, Cousins as back up to Solly and I believe he can also play CB. Jackson may go centre mid and be the creative midfield player, which leaves room for Harriott or Evina LM. We also have Azeez and Sho Silva + Smith for strikers. And don't forget Poyet in midfield.

I'm not suggesting they are the answer. I'm just sayin'
  • Options
    No new faces by about Wednesday and we will have our answer to the questions being posed on the PV thread.
  • Options
    No new faces by about Wednesday and we will have our answer to the questions being posed on the PV thread.
    I agree
  • Options
    TBH I wouldn't be that unhappy if we start the season with what we have, perhaps promote young players as the season goes on, and review in January.

I would worry if we start to lose last season's heroes though.
  • Options
    If the club are going for the academy route then we have Nick Pope as back up keeper, Cousins as back up to Solly and I believe he can also play CB. Jackson may go centre mid and be the creative midfield player, which leaves room for Harriott or Evina LM. We also have Azeez and Sho Silva + Smith for strikers. And don't forget Poyet in midfield.

I'm not suggesting they are the answer. I'm just sayin'
    All of them good prospects... but nothing more. To GUARANTEE survival we need to strengthen. Our current squad can hack it, probably be enough to escape relegation, but that's the limit sad to say.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Nothing guarantees survival. Pardew spent millions.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    This is just like last season doom and gloom before the season started , perhaps its all one big ruse .. like the matrix! we've all been played for fools!

Yes of course we are skint , we'll probably have to charge £10 for those 'bumper' 1st Home game programmes , £10 for the Jackpot , pound half time tickets .. this is a big con people , like global warning , and we've all bought it!

Maybe we should all rush down to the Valley and ask for a refund on our season tickets?
  • Options
    It would take alot for this to be kept out of the media spot light if it's this serious IMO
  • Options
    This is just like last season doom and gloom before the season started , perhaps its all one big ruse .. like the matrix! we've all been played for fools!

Yes of course we are skint , we'll probably have to charge £10 for those 'bumper' 1st Home game programmes , £10 for the Jackpot , pound half time tickets .. this is a big con people , like global warning , and we've all bought it!

Maybe we should all rush down to the Valley and ask for a refund on our season tickets?
    You might wish to consider removing your last line, before you inadvertantly start something.
  • Options
    Ok prozac taken , i'm off to count sheep, goodnight people, happy dreams.
  • Options
    Next few weeks will be interesting, you would think the owners would want Premier league football and the money it brings sooner rather than later and that's only going to happen with investment.

Hopefully any differences will be sorted out.

• Options
    edited July 2012
    -