Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

No signings-big deal?

Comments

• Options
    Jesus H Christ. Have I missed something? Other than the rumours surrounding Varney leaving what "money problems" or "trouble at the top" do we have? Other than the money problems all teams at this level have? IE not having as much as we'd like? Varney was going to move on after 2 years. We achieved our immediate goals, er, immediately. So he moves on after one year and retains his involvement with the club. As far as I can glean the only problems are scary shadows in the minds of a few CL'ers! And, you know, those years of misery may take a while to outgrow, but I seem to remember SCP saying it would be July before we see new signings, so it looks to me like we are on target.

Chillax.

Sorry.
    Stadium issue is a bit of a concern though
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Was'nt the plan we would develop our youngsters. We bought a lot of young players las year, Smith apparently was said to be a very promising striker we also have the likes of cousins waitng in the wings. These players are never going to make it if we keep buying older ones for short term solutions
    Clearly we have offered pro deals to more players than we usually do because they'll be playing in the u21 league next season. Add the signings of Smith, Bover and Pope and we now have a full reserve squad (including a few overage players and the better u18s)

That's potentially 3 seasons of football for the 18 year olds. That, along with the odd loan spell and Kent Cup games will hopefully give them regular football of a good standard.

They need to impress at that level, rather than start the season as back up for the first team.
  • Options
    When you take into account the amount of signings we have made in the past 12 months, it is as many as what some clubs would make in 3 -4 years.

Chris Powell said he wanted to build a team that was not only going to win promotion but also compete in the Championship. A lot of that work has been done!
  • Options
    it would be a struggle to stay up with no incomings at all. The midfield is too weak, elsewhere we have enough.
    agreed, plus one more central defender, one with some pace
  • Options
    I think there are enough causes for concern (which is not the same as 'it's panic stations' - can we be less black & white about this please?).

Chrissy has never said "we don't need any new signings" - he's talked about the need to get them in before Lepe, etc etc. If for any reason we don't get any, so be it, the squad is decent. But having indicated that we'd prefer to have some new blood, there would surely be a dent in confidence/morale around the place if nobody comes in. This time last year the mood was very much of turnaround and new spirit, one that those who stayed (Jacko, BWP, Waggy, Solly) would have benefitted from.

On all the off-field rumours, yes there's a lot of hot air and speculation. It would be easy for the club to bat this away, a couple of reassuring paragraphs on the website on on here would go a long way. I've had a few distractions these past 2 weeks, but has the club had anything to say? Why not?

• Options
    What I've found hard to deal with is seeing the clubs who came up after us, clubs we gained a head start on in the transfer market by getting promoted weeks earlier, improve their squads well. Huddersfield getting Norwood and Wednesday getting Mattock are both great signings.

Last season was such a great achievement but I don't want to leave it at that. Nothing good about standing still. Of course, it remains to be seen if that will be the case but it would kill me to see Hudds and Wednesday better us next season after what happened last season.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Depends on what Powell does tactically, if we play to our strengths and attack teams, then I think we'll finish 15th/16th with current squad. Basically we will stay up.
    But if he decides to set the team up to sit back and invite pressure, living on the breaks, then I think we'll struggle
    Our biggest strength last season was defending. We played cautious football and it worked. We made sure we defended as a team first and went from there.

With some good signings I can see the same style working for us next season. More teams will attack us and that opens up space for us.
    I preferred the attacking football we played at the start of the season.

I don't want to see us playing that negative style football this season as I don't feel our Defence or Attack is good enough for it in this league, without strengthening.

People are underestimating the strength of the teams in this league, I feel we will get punished if we sit back. Norwich and Southampton bought players and played decent attacking football. Thats why they did so well.

Just look at Leeds and Millwall, both didnt do anything last year.

*Edit* I've been away from the forums for a bit, what exactly is rumored to be going on with the board? Have they conned us into getting a season ticket and now they not gonna spend anything??
  • Options
    Cp also said he wanted new bodies in through the door before we went away to Spain.
  • Options
    Well Spain isn't until the 16th July so that gives us a couple of more weeks.

Despite all of the stories going around I do think he could change relatively quickly for one reason or another. I think we'll know much more clearly where we stand once we see who the first couple of signings are.
  • Options
    Most of our wins early in the season were still by the odd goal. The biggest difference was probably because we had Hayes in the team. He and BWP linked up very well, very quickly, something BWP and Yann never did quite as well. With Hayes starting we also didn't have the option of the long ball.

As I've said before I'd like to see 5/6 signings, I just don't think we need to play out and out attacking football to be successful.

Not sure we can really judge how teams like Norwich and Southampton over a whole season? Even if they did, they had creative players like Hoolahan and Lallana. We don't have that type of player at the moment. I'm sure they had plenty of games in which they defended well and nicked a goal.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jesus H Christ. Have I missed something? Other than the rumours surrounding Varney leaving what "money problems" or "trouble at the top" do we have? Other than the money problems all teams at this level have? IE not having as much as we'd like? Varney was going to move on after 2 years. We achieved our immediate goals, er, immediately. So he moves on after one year and retains his involvement with the club. As far as I can glean the only problems are scary shadows in the minds of a few CL'ers! And, you know, those years of misery may take a while to outgrow, but I seem to remember SCP saying it would be July before we see new signings, so it looks to me like we are on target.

Chillax.

Sorry.
    This.^

• Options
    Very odd that nothing has happened. Last season we got our business done very early and it proved to work very well. Why the complete opposite this time around if theres not some reason for us delaying or not signing anyone. I'm not as relaxed as some others about this tbh.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Scoham I agree with that, good post. Arsenal were successful playing boring football but we don't have good enough players to play that way, not in this league.

I hope we sign creative attack minded players. Always nice to watch attractive football now that we're in a league in which you can play that way and be successful.
  • Options
    could be a problem if weve been snubbed by a few players but id wait til the end of the transfer window to make a judgement.
    we do have some nobbish fans on football league rumours who really are expecting too much just because southampton and norwich did it doesnt mean we r going to get promoted next season and sign all of the divisions top players some fans must really be more realistic
  • Options
    Plz tell me the source u lot r moaning about wen it comes to "trouble behind the scenes" and "lack of money" this is absolutely ridiculous that u r all thinking the ship is sinking! Millwall fans starting these rumours???? That's called the lions are running scared of the resurgent addicks! Get a grip u lot!!!!!
  • Options
    currently i see us 0% automatics, 5% plays offs , 80% 7th-20th , 15% relegation

nervous until them half a dozen dream signings turn up or not
  • Options
    Very odd that nothing has happened. Last season we got our business done very early and it proved to work very well. Why the complete opposite this time around if theres not some reason for us delaying or not signing anyone. I'm not as relaxed as some others about this tbh.
    I'm concerned, but I expect that's down to us needing a lot less players. And then the players we're after are more expensive and have more clubs looking at them.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Wait till Monday , i reckon we'll announce a couple of signings.
  • Options
    Everyone seems to be getting back into panic mode - normal service resumed?
    Optimism from last season hasnt lasted long......
  • Options
    Powell said he wanted five players and I'm sure it's being worked on. I think everybody needs to calm down.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2012
    Powell said he wanted five players and I'm sure it's being worked on. I think everybody needs to calm down.
    To be fair though mate, my source tells me Sir Chris is coming under real pressure from 'the top' to sign Neil Shipperley as our new striker.

The thinking behind this being that the fat Palace bloater will count as three of the five signings. It's clever, very clever, I'll give them that.

• Options
    To be fair though mate, my source tells me Sir Chris is coming under real pressure from 'the top' to sign Neil Shipperley as our new striker.

The thinking behind this being that the fat Palace bloater will count as three of the five signings. It's clever, very clever, I'll give them that.

This is a joke right ?

The day that SCP bows to that sort of pressure is the day I lose all respect for him. However that won't happen because this is a joke right ?

• Options
    Haha I'd have his dad Dave Shipperley back again, got to be better then Matt Taylor. ;)
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    There are reasons to be positive on the playing front.
    Our youth players in the past have from time to time been able to step up, Solly and the departed Jenkinson are two good recent examples, let alone those we have let go who have built decent careers (indeed we sometines sign them back on!)
    Our current youth set up includes internationals, play really well, were a match for the youth of much richer clubs.
    On the above basis I suspect we have resources in the youth set up that could be balanced against injuries and suspensions from the more senior players.
    Which leads us on to the present squad.
    The Southampton point above is very well made, recent success in league one has tended to lead to survival at least...or better...in the Championship. Arguably Millwall were weakened with the loss of Morrison, but have survived so far after promotion. Our runaway dominance last season suggests we already have enough about us to at least survive.
    If we distrupt the squad so much, with Bertie Big Bollocks signings, it may affect team spirit. I would say that one of CP's best attributes is the decent, respectful, but assertive way he has managed the players. A good team ethic, as in 'we are underdogs, at a new level, expected to struggle, let's prove we can win here. You are unproven players at this level, people say you can't step up, prove them wrong!' may lead to unexpected success.
    There is realistic work and movement to be addressed regarding some players, such as Hughes, Hayes, Clarke, and possibly one or two signings, and even a decent loan or two (much as I, and it seems CP are not keen on loans) could come in, but these things can be done even at a modest level.
    We are not on the face of it a rubbish squad, or a rubbish team.
    I notice that CP and AD went and did another level coaching badge just recently. My hope is that we work on the actual play. Try different things, be clever and cute, set pieces and stuff, tactics strategies, game plans and so on. If we freshen things up a bit, without losing the foundations of our good play, we can do well. We seem to have a less boneheaded squad than usual, who may be able to absorb and put into practice good ideas.
    The danger is that nearly all other Championship clubs have at least one matchwinner (Didn't Vaz Te both save Barnsley from relegation, and take West ham up in the same season?). We have to be able to deal with that.
    We also have to be able to do everything 5-10% faster.
    Over to you coaching staff.
  • Options
    I'd have his dad Dave Shipperley back again, got to be better then Matt Taylor
    Fella, obviously we've got the same source, how did Big Dave's trial go at Sparrows Lane last week?

Problem I heard was agreeing terms. Dave's in his sixties now but was prepared to come back and help out during our 'crisis'. However, petrol aint cheap and he would also be missing his favourite TV shows at training. I heard the Board weren't prepared to meet his requirements.

Heard they have moved on to Lindsay Smith and Peter Shaw. Wot you heard?
  • Options
    I wasn't at the trial but heard he had Big Yann in his pocket. Sign him up!
  • Options
    We are a new championship club we gonna lose targets to established championship clubs hence y not much business has been done! Fees, wages and personal terms are gonna b exaggerated by players we want, not gonna b as easy as last season signing players! pipe down with all the stupid 'we have no money' and 'owners have pulled the plug' nonsense! We r champions of league one and we r on the up, get behind the team because its u lot who give the charlton fans a bad name! Be optimistic for god sake
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    So dalboy1986, what happens if the worst becomes true and the board decide to not spend any money. Powell gets the sack and we end up back in League One.

Are you gonna say "Be optimistic" then?

This is a forum, you can't tell people to pipe down. Nobody knows what is happening until it's all sorted.
  • Options
    well said, the way people are panicking its comical, IT'S JULY THE 1ST!!the season doesn't start until august the 18th which is 6-7 weeks away.relax.

on the subject i think the squad is capable of finishing 12th-24th. Great defense and players capable of doing damage at the other end.
  • Options
    I think we should be top third with current team - Norwich and Southampton kicked on to a double promotion - Norwich didn't spend to do it (they didn't spend to consolidate in the prem).

It will be fine and we will have new signings anyway.