Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New Tv series (REMEMBER: No Spoilers)

Comments

• I don't generally post on here so read into this what you will.

But Bad Sisters I thought was fantastic and one of the best TV Series I have watched in a long time 
    I've not seen Bad Sisters yet, but I saw the original Belgian TV series it was based on when it was being shown in Channel 4's "Walter Presents" strand a few years ago, and absolutely loved it. However, Curry's have very kindly gifted me a couple of months of free Apple TV with my new washing machine, so if anyone has any recommendations for shows that are on there at the moment, I'd be happy to hear them.
  • Mammals.

Firstly I didnt know much about James Corden other than he hosts talk shows in the US. However in this series he is the lead character in a really decent twisting turning tale about the life of a chef meeting the woman of his dreams. Very decent effort 7.5/10
  • TELTEL
    edited November 2022
    The English

A western with a difference, starring and financed by Emily Blunt. First episode was luke warm but improved so much so that I've binge watched it this week. Very solid acting depicting a tale set when The English were settling/invading (depending on your viewpoint) during the days of the Wild West. Decent filming and dialogue, and a little bloodthirsty. 

7.5/10
  • 1899 on Netflix. Created by the same team on Dark. Binged it all in two days. A mystery set about a cruise liner. Some may find it a bit slow but I enjoyed it.
  • johnny73 said:
    1899 on Netflix. Created by the same team on Dark. Binged it all in two days. A mystery set about a cruise liner. Some may find it a bit slow but I enjoyed it.
    We binge watched it too, johnny.

Not sure why we stuck with it, especially as we gave up with Dark ages ago after the first couple of episodes.

Have to admit I used Wikipedia several times whilst watching to clarify my thoughts as to what exactly was going on...but it didn't help much.

Once the 8th episode had been viewed, I read a synopsis online which "explained" the scenario...I think ! 

Worth watching IMO but don't expect to be any the wiser as to what was happening throughout once it's ended.
  • johnny73 said:
    1899 on Netflix. Created by the same team on Dark. Binged it all in two days. A mystery set about a cruise liner. Some may find it a bit slow but I enjoyed it.
    Couldn’t get in with it.  It was all to dark (if you’ll pardon the pun). Hadn’t a clue what was going on either. Gave up after 20 mins.  
  • johnny73 said:

Not sure why we stuck with it, especially as we gave up with Dark ages ago after the first couple of episodes.

Have to admit I used Wikipedia several times whilst watching to clarify my thoughts as to what exactly was going on...but it didn't help much.

Once the 8th episode had been viewed, I read a synopsis online which "explained" the scenario...I think ! 

Worth watching IMO but don't expect to be any the wiser as to what was happening throughout once it's ended.
    How on earth could you give up on dark 😯
  • johnny73 said:

How on earth could you give up on dark 😯
    We might give it another try at some point .....
  • Anybody been watching 1899 on Netflix? It's mental but really enjoying it - made by the same people who made 'Dark' and is similarly in the realm of constantly thinking "WTF Is going on?"
  • Sponsored links:

• Anybody been watching 1899 on Netflix? It's mental but really enjoying it - made by the same people who made 'Dark' and is similarly in the realm of constantly thinking "WTF Is going on?"
    I’d hazard a guess at least 3 people on this page have. 😉
    Fs i didn't remember anyone mentioning it haha
  • Tokyo Vice .. BBC .. highly recommended
  • edited November 2022
    TEL said:
    The English

A western with a difference, starring and financed by Emily Blunt. First episode was luke warm but improved so much so that I've binge watched it this week. Very solid acting depicting a tale set when The English were settling/invading (depending on your viewpoint) during the days of the Wild West. Decent filming and dialogue, and a little bloodthirsty. 

7.5/10

Have watched and enjoyed the first two of these. A bit different from the usual frontier type western, quite violent in places, and hard to predict. Agree with @TEL re the acting. Thought Ciaran Hinds and Toby Jones might feature a bit more across the series than it looks as though they will...
  • Tokyo Vice .. BBC .. highly recommended
    Watched it earlier this year. Really enjoyed it. 

Second season has been commissioned. 
  • First season of the US version of Ghosts on BBC iPlayer.
    The first episode is absolutely awful.  Believe it was a pilot episode and amazed they got the go ahead for the full season. 
    As  the season goes along it does get better as characters develop. 
    Nowhere near the quality of the British version though.
  • The thief, his wife and the canoe.  Catching up with this on itv player despite the adverts.  Cant work out what to make of it. I love Eddie Marian usually. I can’t work out whether hie is being wooden as hell in this or whether he is portraying brilliantly a very one dimensional cookie character.  If it wasn’t a true story it would be unbelievable. 
  • The thief, his wife and the canoe.  Catching up with this on itv player despite the adverts.  Cant work out what to make of it. I love Eddie Marian usually. I can’t work out whether hie is being wooden as hell in this or whether he is portraying brilliantly a very one dimensional cookie character.  If it wasn’t a true story it would be unbelievable. 
    Bit like CAFC over the past 8 years !
  • johnny73 said:
    First season of the US version of Ghosts on BBC iPlayer.
    The first episode is absolutely awful.  Believe it was a pilot episode and amazed they got the go ahead for the full season. 
    As  the season goes along it does get better as characters develop. 
    Nowhere near the quality of the British version though.
    Keep watching, it has a charm of its own. Just finished season 3. 
  • Tokyo Vice has started on BBC 1 and first two episodes were very good indeed. Like The Newsreader earlier this year, it has a journalism slant which I like, but with the added twist of being set in Japan with its corporation/rules based society and also involving organised crime.
  • Presumably organised crime in Japan is very well organised 
  • Sponsored links:

• IdleHans said:
    Presumably organised crime in Japan is very well organised 
    they make the Cosa Nostra, the KGB or the SS look like amateurs
  • IdleHans said:
    TEL said:
    The English

7.5/10

Have watched and enjoyed the first two of these. A bit different from the usual frontier type western, quite violent in places, and hard to predict. Agree with @TEL re the acting. Thought Ciaran Hinds and Toby Jones might feature a bit more across the series than it looks as though they will...
    only one episode left for us. I’ve loved it. Rafe Spall is amazing channelling his best Tom Hardy from Peaky Blinders. The cinematography is outstanding. Every frame like a painting. Only criticism is the back and forth with the timeline can drain you at times. Watch it. It’s good 
  • Agree with TEL: Mammals is pretty good. Also watching old Bosch, which are almost as good as the books.
  • edited December 2022
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-63814194.amp

Great to see Rob Burrow reading a story on Cbeebies - continues to battle MND. 
  • First two episodes of Slow Horses Season 2 are out today. I enjoyed Season 1 earlier this year so I quite look forward to the second ser. It stars Gary Oldman and Jack Lowden.
  • Senorita 89 .. BBC .. 
  • Fumbluff said:
    kafka said:
    I was recommended Only Murders in the Building. Anyone agree?
    I found Steve Martins face and Martin Shorts face and wardrobe distracting for the first couple of episodes but after I got used to them it was fine. 
    Wouldn’t bend over backwards to recommend but as something the missus chose it could have been a lot worse. Believe there is now a second series too (haven’t seen that) 
    This may be an unpopular opinion, but I feel like Steve Martin and Martin Short have turned into a ghastly pair of luvvies. 
    Mutual backslapping and faux emotion appear to be their only skills these days.
    A bit of a shame to see the sad decline of one genuine comedy genius and another decent comedic actor.
  • Three Pines on Prime. Murder mystery Stars Alfred Molina set in a small town near Quebec. 

Excellent 7.5/10
  • edited December 2022
    Always have a little chuckle when people refer to their tele viewings as 'we'. 

Not for anything bad or sinister but all independence can be lost when approaching that tv and remote.