Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sunday 7.45pm - Ireland v Croatia - Preview/Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    Balls
    :(
  • Options
    Andrews looks good enough for us easily
    thought he played well, sorry to see Ireland lose - shoulda been a penalty would have been interesting if they'd pulled one back, didnt think Croatia were THAT much better
  • Options
    Not being funny, look at the players in that Irish squad. It's second rate, and gutsy performances is all they can ask for with the hope of a bit of luck and a few breaks coming their way. Didn't get those tonight.

Expected more of.Croatia to be honest.
  • Options
    Not being funny, look at the players in that Irish squad. It's second rate, and gutsy performances is all they can ask for with the hope of a bit of luck and a few breaks coming their way. Didn't get those tonight.

Know what your saying but there have been a couple of second rate squads that have won this thing in recent years - thinking Denmark & Greece. That's why I have sneaky feeling England might do quite well this year!!

Spain & Italy are streets ahead of Ireland/Croatia in this group.

• Options

Croatia went three up and didn't need to over exert themselves so they didn't I guess. Ireland will be disappointed but you get the impression that of Ireland had looked like getting back into it the Croatians would have clicked up the gears and blown them away. Hate to say it but Ireland are probably the worst team I've seen so far.
  • Options

Ireland have been like Charlton over the years, hard working and having a great team spirit. As long they give their all, that's all can be asked, if along the way you get a bit of luck, so be it.
  • Options
    Is Trapatonni Joe from the Royle Family ? Keep expecting him to burst into song...
    .... nah ...... :-)
  • Options
    Oh aye!
  • Options
    Rep of Ireland gave us a good laugh!
  • Options
    Is Trapatonni Joe from the Royle Family ? Keep expecting him to burst into song...
    Thanks, I knew he reminded me of someone, couldn't think who!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

True out, disapointing to conceed the goals we did as they were awfully soft and the penalty could easily have changed it. Pretty disapointing that Trap bought on Cox over Mclean, seemed an odd change.

As for Andrews being too expensive in terms of wages, Andrews isnt necessarily driven by money, he almost retired because of the way he had been treated by clubs in previous years, so if Charlton give the impression that he is genuinley wanted and part of something major then there is a proper good chance he'll come this way.
  • Options
    Thanks, I knew he reminded me of someone, couldn't think who!
    thought it was Frank Drebin on the touchline

• Options
    I like to see the Irish do well but really, if you look at their squad, they are full of journeymen from the weaker Premiership teams and Championship level players.

They have done well just to make it to the last 16 in Europe, hard to see them beating many teams in the tournament apart from Greece, Poland and Ukraine - and probably a point at best against England.

Their better sides in previous tournaments have included some genuine world-class players like Roy Keane and Paul McGrath.
  • Options
    I am afraid that they were given a bit of a chasing tonight and made to look a bit bovine. Too much long ball and poor ball retention against a good and clever Croatian side.

As Ormiston said, they've done well to get here. About 3 or 4 of their players are out of contract ( and not in demand at the top level ) and it's a far cry from the Jack Charlton days when he could call upon the likes of McGrath, Moran, Whelan, O'Leary Stapleton, Houghton, Aldridge etc.
  • Options
    Croatia to me are one of those sides who always do better than you think they will.
  • Options
    Given, Dunne, Keane, IMHO, are "past it": Great players for ROI in their day, but can't go on for ever.
    What happened to the young Sunderland winger ?
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Given, Dunne, Keane, IMHO, are "past it": Great players for ROI in their day, but can't go on for ever.
    Liam Lawrence ? Injured I think. Those guys may be past it but they really are the best that Ireland have, they came second in a pretty weak qualifying group and then were drawn against the only team worse than them in the playoffs. I hope they can sort their shape out for the next game, otherwise Spain will batter them
  • Options
    Watched it in The Mitre in Greenwich and loved nearly every minute.
  • Options
    Croatia to me are one of those sides who always do better than you think they will.
    For a tiny country they produce some brilliant players - probably more than any other country in the world on a per capita basis.

• Options
    Liam Lawrence ? Injured I think. Those guys may be past it but they really are the best that Ireland have, they came second in a pretty weak qualifying group and then were drawn against the only team worse than them in the playoffs. I hope they can sort their shape out for the next game, otherwise Spain will batter them
    think he means Mclean. Not sure if he made the squad.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I would be very pleased if we signed Andrews after last nights showing, more than good enough for The CCC even though Ireland crumbled.
  • Options
    Croats did what they needed to, no more last night and will be gunning for the victory against Italy to see them through. Italy raised their game vs Spain and don't think they will play as well in the next games, so think the game against Croatia will be intriguing.
  • Options
    Andrews looked good NFC that we will sign him after that performance.
  • Options
    Mclean's the N Irish winger who chose to sit on ROI's bench. Good little player thou and one to watch next year imo!
  • Options
    Just another European country who hates us.
    Well I've made several trips to Ireland and have always been made to feel more than welcome. I've also known quite a lot of Irish people who live in England. All of whom have been quite charming towards me and to other English people. Perhaps your statement says more about you that the rest of "us".
    http://m.newsletter.co.uk/news/local/republic-fans-in-sectarian-storm-1-3936727
  • Options
    Just another European country who hates us.
    Well I've made several trips to Ireland and have always been made to feel more than welcome. I've also known quite a lot of Irish people who live in England. All of whom have been quite charming towards me and to other English people. Perhaps your statement says more about you that the rest of "us".
    http://m.newsletter.co.uk/news/local/republic-fans-in-sectarian-storm-1-3936727
    Sectarianism chanting from Irish football fans? Christ, whatever next?

Of course, their Ulster counterparts would never get involved in such heinous activities.....

Two sides of the same coin, dragging their gutter politics into a game of football.

Juvenile and pathetic.
  • Options
    Did anyone see the plucky fans, i think is called luck of the Irish.
  • Options
    not bad, not so sure about the croatian behind

• Options
    Gosh, these two get about a bit!
  • Options
    "tut tut" i bet their parents are proud.