Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sunday 7.45pm - Ireland v Croatia - Preview/Match Thread

Republic of Ireland v Croatia – Sunday 10th June, 7.45pm kick off

FIFA Rankings:
Ireland 18
Croatia 8

Match day three concludes with “Everyone’s Second Team” (© Ireland) taking on Croatia in Group C’s second game. The cruel amongst us may argue that this game is a fight to avoid the wooden spoon, but a closer look shows that qualification from the group may not be assured for both Italy and Spain and the winner of this game will be waiting to capitalise on any slip ups.

Tactics

Giovanni Trapattoni’s side built their qualification campaign on being solid and hard to score against. Familiarity has bred confidence for the Irish, “Trap” used only 21 players in starting roles throughout qualifying. No one from the British Isles has scored as many at international level as talisman and captain Robbie Keane, who will play a slightly deeper role than usual in a 4-4-1-1 formation with Keane supporting Kevin Doyle. Behind the forward line rumoured Addicks target Keith Andrews will partner Glenn Whelan in the central midfield positions, as in the second half of the qualification campaign. A solid defence sees St Ledger and Stephen Kelly flank Dunne and O’Shea. Irish fans breathed a heavy sigh of relief earlier this week when they learned that all time appearance holder Shay Given had shrugged off a knee injury to take his place between the sticks, as he has 121 times previously.

If Ireland are built on familiarity, then Slaven Bilić will look to his embarrassment of riches in attacking positions to secure victory, only two sides scored more goals and finished second in qualifying. A major blow is the injury to star striker Ivica Olić, ruled out of the tournament after going down in last weekend’s draw with Norway. Partnering Wolfsburg striker Mario Mandžukić in Olić’s place is likely to be Nikica Jelavic, on fire since joining Everton in January, although former Arsenal striker Eduardo offers Bilic an alternative solution in their 442 formation. Supporting the strikers and key to Croatia’s success will be Luka Modrić, well known to English fans for his awesome passing and creative skills, any success Croatia have is likely to be built on Modrić’s vision.

One to Watch

Ireland – Robbie Keane
Croatia – Luka Modrić

Odds:
Ireland to win 5/2 (Bet365)
Portugal 11/8 (Stan James)
Draw 11/5 (Sky Bet)

Prediction

Whilst many choose to ignore FIFA’s world rankings, Croatia are rated the 8th best team on Earth primarily based on their ability to leverage the talents of their attacking options. Despite the loss of Olić, “Jela” is an able deputy. Ireland had a fairly easy road to qualification, the “luck of the Irish” in force when they were drawn against a weak Estonian side in the play-offs. Croatia’s attacking options will provide a stiff test; however Keane will be waiting to pounce if the Croats overextend themselves.

Ireland 1 - Croatia 2

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Think I have to go with Croatia, but might also have a cheeky few quid on 2-2 draw @ 18/1 with Ladbrokes this morning. Croatia to win 2-1 which is currently 8/1 looks tempting and add to that Nikica Jelavic as first goalscorer @ 6/1and finally an away/draw at @14/1......guess I'm trying to cover a few angles so to give a better spread of my bets.
  • Options
    Come on Ireland! Definitely up against it here but let's hope they give it a good go.
  • Options
    Ireland are my 2nd team, but it's Wales who are my first :)
    But as we didn't qualify (as usual) I'm going with the other half of my gene pool for this year.
    Don't worry though, England are my third team.

Ireland win. 2-0 with one from Keane.
  • Options
    Definitely the game we wanted to start with, but Bilic has obviously said the same of us. Despite that, they're a strong side but we need to stick to the plan and hopefully get out of the Traps with 3 points! We're on a great run, haven't lost a competitive game away since Trap was appointed 4 years ago and McGeady looks a better player for his stint in Russia and can hopefully start to fulfil his promise...and McLean from the bench could rattle a slowish Croat defence!!!

COYBIG!!! :-)
  • Options
    Ireland are my 2nd team, but it's Wales who are my first :)
    But as we didn't qualify (as usual) I'm going with the other half of my gene pool for this year.
    Don't worry though, England are my third team.

Ireland win. 2-0 with one from Keane.
    Brave shout ! Although if Ireland get an early goal, Croatia will have to commit men forwards and that will leave space open at the back. I think both teams will see this as a "must win" rather than "must not lose" so hopefully Croatia will attack. I don't think Ireland can withstand a Croatian onslaught for the full 90 mins despite their solid defence, but that early goal could help them draw Croatia out
  • Options
    Ireland V Croatia 1-1 Scoreline ( 11-2 William Hill)
    Halftime Croatia/ Fulltime Draw ( 20-1 Befair)
    First card shown to Ireland ( 5-6 Betfair)
  • Options
    Think this should be a good game, both should be looking to win this given the other teams in this group
  • Options
    I don't think Ireland can withstand a Croatian onslaught for the full 90 mins...

Would agree Se9, but then I saw the game in Moscow! I have to think that a defensive display and onslaught like that only come around once in a generation, but can hope that this team can do it again. That said the first half of the Dublin game, was the complete opposite!!

Want the win obviously, but those half time/full time odds look good. YNBTI :-)
  • Options
    Hoping for 8-0 Croatia. Would be lovely.
  • Options
    Hope Croatia absolutely smash them. Can't stand the thought of a load of English "my great grandfather's best mate was Irish so they're my country" idiots celebrating in London.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yep.

Hope Croatia smash them.
  • Options
    Get over it. People can support whoever they want to. Come on Ireland.
  • Options
    Exactly, let's not try and get this thread closed, coming from an Irish family but born and raised here I'd personally like them to do well, doesn't mean I wouldn't want England to win if they met in a game but I don't have a problem with English born people supporting a country their families came from.
  • Options
    Perfectly said colthe3rd.

• Options
    People are entitled to say they'd like to see Ireland lose if they wish. I have no Irish (or Croation!) blood but I'd rather Ireland over any non-UK team. I'm a Charlton supporter and Charlton have had a greater Irish rather than Croation connection over the years, and I'd hazard a guess that we will in the future too. Either way I won't lose sleep over the result and am looking forward to a good game, ad a neutral I hope the Irish don't try and park the bus looking to hit on the break with Keane and Doyle, but I wouldn't blame them if that was the way they went.
  • Options
    Cant we just look forward to a good game of footie....as stated above I'm backing Croatia....but not because I support them, or wish 'ill' on the Irish team.....I just think that for a bet Croatia just edge it.....cant we just keep this thread on a football match? Jesus that cant be difficult......can it??????????
  • Options
    I'm supporting Ireland even though I'm English through and through.
  • Options
    Just another European country who hates us.
  • Options
    I want Croatia to win because I like the people and the welcome I have recieved whenever I have been there. Couldn't give a monkeys about Eire to be honest.
  • Options
    Just another person stuck in 1690
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well I've made several trips to Ireland and have always been made to feel more than welcome. I've also known quite a lot of Irish people who live in England. All of whom have been quite charming towards me and to other English people. Perhaps your statement says more about you that the rest of "us".
  • Options
    OK, back to the football. Still waiting to see if Corluka is fit for Croatia. If not that will upset the Croat right hand side where Corluka normally overlaps with Srna. McGeady is a tricky player and as he's based in Russia who are midway through their season he should be at the peak of fitness, he'll be well placed to exploit any weaknesses down that wing, and if Doyle can get on the end of one of his crosses that could give Ireland another goals prong outlet.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Unless they are playing England then why not support other home nations? I'd like to see the men in green do well but they are up against it in that group. But who thought Denmark would beat the Dutch?
  • Options
    Last time I went to Dublin it seemed to be full of Croats. Confusing.
  • Options
    Looks like Corluka is playing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18180105

Like the stat that Ireland "allowed" most shots on their goal in qualifying - 45. Pretty sure at least 30 of those were in Moscow!! ;-)
  • Options
    Jheeez I just don't want Ireland to win...didn't realise I had to get it cleared by the charlton life massive.

Cmon on croatia
  • Options
    Very predictable from SE10
  • Options
    Please, quit all the hatred stuff or take it elsewhere. It spoils threads for the majority of us.

Think Ireland have a chance of an upset, Croatia missing a couple of key players. Will need a bit of Irish luck though !
  • Options
    Croatia to nick it 1-0. Jelavic to score.

Ireland are going to need a lot of luck to keep Croatia's strikeforce from scoring whilst can't see Keane and Doyle getting many chances.

• Options
    Keane will score providing he doesn't get a one on one with the keeper.