Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Belgium

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Get in there. Lovely goal. Lets have more of that England.
  • Options
    Cracking finish there
  • Options
    The goal aside England look shockingly inept. I pity anyone who has weighed out the small fortunes a trip to the finals will cost.
  • Options
    Don't really watch England games but we look poor, good finish from Wellbeck but in the Euros I think we'll struggle to score goals.
  • Options
    Nice finish by Wellbeck but apart from that we look very pedestrian. The half time analogy that England look like Fulham sums up our present situation well. Euros look like being ten steps too far for this lot.
  • Options
    Utter borefest. One shot on target in the game.
  • Options
    Walcott and Defoe looked good when they came on I thought.
  • Options
    we allowed them far too much possession, a better team will make us pay.
  • Options
    Belgium only been beaten once in 16 - by ze Germans. Thought we did ok with a very average team
  • Options
    Nothing to read too much into. Cole excellent, Johnson dodgy at back. Parker & Gerrard decent enough. Wellbeck took great chance.

Injuries aside, I think he will start against France with that team.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think we will be okay if we cope defensively. We won't win matches easily but I'm confident we can get to the semis if we can grind out results a bit like Charlton did last year. It won't be pretty but then that dosent really matter.
  • Options
    If the standard of European football is such that England are a semi final team then it is a very sorry state of affairs. England are very average.
  • Options
    If the standard of European football is such that England are a semi final team then it is a very sorry state of affairs. England are very average.
    International football is often defensive though and I think that's something Hodgson is good at.
  • Options
    England are average but well organised and are capable of getting the odd goal when they need it. Hodgson is a dour tactician who sends out average teams who are very hard to beat. As England have average players he has been an inspired choice. We won't win any medals for entertainment, but as I told some of my mates yesterday, I won't be looking at the goals scored against Belgium, but the hopefully zero goals conceeded.

Whilst some will moan, I think we have the best chance we have had in a tournament for years. Here comes Hodgson's boring revolution - great stuff. Could take us a long way!!!
  • Options
    Brussels is pony fact
    Are you serious! Or you had a poor guide!!
  • Options
    England are average but well organised and are capable of getting the odd goal when they need it. Hodgson is a dour tactician who sends out average teams who are very hard to beat. As England have average players he has been an inspired choice. We won't win any medals for entertainment, but as I told some of my mates yesterday, I won't be looking at the goals scored against Belgium, but the hopefully zero goals conceeded.

Whilst some will moan, I think we have the best chance we have had in a tournament for years. Here comes Hodgson's boring revolution - great stuff. Could take us a long way!!!
    Boring team - hard to beat - a dour tactician - 1966 all over again??…
  • Options
    It won't go down well with the rest of Europe though - I can see their comments now. Really looking forward to the Euros
  • Options
    Thought Defoe was on fire when he came on, darting runs, was so close to scoring twice. Definitely on the bench in front of Welbeck for me, even though Welbecks finish was class. Johnson's pretty poor. Micah Richards should be there. Reckon we're broing but will do well this year. That said I think we'll come 2nd in our group and then we're probably gunna get Spain in the last 16 ... so we're probably getting kicked out before the quarters haha.
  • Options
    Typical England observers seen on this thread...

Talk up the opposition and how we will do well to get a result off them. And then when we go and do, we are 'shockingly inept'.

Even when we beat Spain 1-0, people still moaned! The fans hold back this country's team as much as the media.
  • Options
    Typical England observers seen on this thread...

Talk up the opposition and how we will do well to get a result off them. And then when we go and do, we are 'shockingly inept'.

Even when we beat Spain 1-0, people still moaned! The fans hold back this country's team as much as the media.
    How can my thinking we are boringly average have any impact on John Terry and co ?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just back, not going back to watch England in a hurry. Although the fans were noisy they lacked passion for the team, more content to do mexican waves in the first half and like us in our last game firing paper planes on to the pitch. Belgium lacked a cutting edge, but held possession for long periods. only bit of quality came for the goal, good play by Young and frinish by Wellbeck.

Thought Fellini and the chelsea new buy looked ok.

Nice to see a Charlton flag, which the in stadium camera focussed on for a good few seconds.
  • Options
    Thought Defoe was on fire when he came on, darting runs, was so close to scoring twice. Definitely on the bench in front of Welbeck for me, even though Welbecks finish was class. Johnson's pretty poor. Micah Richards should be there. Reckon we're broing but will do well this year. That said I think we'll come 2nd in our group and then we're probably gunna get Spain in the last 16 ... so we're probably getting kicked out before the quarters haha.
    Welbeck will start hopefully, Defoe's a good option to have on the bench.

And it's straight to the Quarters after the group stage.
  • Options
    The rest of Europe won't be able to cope with our defensive boring tactics, and Carroll will cause real problems to defences because he's a big lump! It won't be pretty but I think we are going to suprise a lot of people!
  • Options
    Just got back
    First time Ive been wembley, stadium was quality. Fans were okay, Belgium were better.

Good finish by Welbeck but apart from that we did little until Defoe came on.
    Like how when The Ox is on the ball, it feels like something could actually happen.

Hazard played it safe, no mistakes, not exactly mind blowing, but obvious talent

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Just back, not going back to watch England in a hurry. Although the fans were noisy they lacked passion for the team, more content to do mexican waves in the first half and like us in our last game firing paper planes on to the pitch. Belgium lacked a cutting edge, but held possession for long periods. only bit of quality came for the goal, good play by Young and frinish by Wellbeck.

Thought Fellini and the chelsea new buy looked ok.

Nice to see a Charlton flag, which the in stadium camera focussed on for a good few seconds.
    Nice to be noticed!!

I would like to think it was a more welcome sight than the bloody mexican waves

• Options
    Was looking forward to seeing Belgium and you can see why... very easy on the eye, kept the ball and moved it well, tight enough at the back, a top class centre forward away from a very dangerous side to end up in a group with.
  • Options
    Like an international version of MK Dons. If they had a strike force they'd be decent.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    pleased to see Henderson in the squad and I hope he plays.

IMHO we need to forget this tournament in terms of winning but instead use it to build for 2016 and 2018 (we're not going to win in Brazil either).

Part of that is to stop using the players who have failed and won't be around in 4 years time (Lampard, Gerrard, etc) and give some experience of playing in and being at tournaments to young players with potential which is what Henderson is.

JH, the young keeper (Butt?) etc are the future. It may mean we don't win every game but it might mean we have a team to compete in the medium term.
    I agree with the sentiment but I wonder if the best way for the kids to learn is by playing with the very best players in the country who have experience of playing at that level. Rather than ditch the old hands, use friendlies to get them playing in key positions with the very best alongside them. Get Henderson in alongside Gerrard or Lampard. Get Jones in at centre half alongside Terry. Put the full backs in when you have experienced centre halves to help them out.

Even Man Utd's title-winning kids had Steve Bruce, Gary Pallister Denis Irwin, Roy Keane, Brian McLair etc around them.

Decent game. Both sides had their spells, brilliant finish from the young Wellbeck.
  • Options
    Why Jones when Cahill is young enough for another two tournaments?

England were unlucky with injuries otherwise you could have expected far more younger players: wilshere, walker, rodwell etc
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Was looking forward to seeing Belgium and you can see why... very easy on the eye, kept the ball and moved it well, tight enough at the back, a top class centre forward away from a very dangerous side to end up in a group with.
    The best I could do, nice to see you