Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Roberto Martinez

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2018

Riviera said:

Cafc43v3r said:

Martinez first match in charge of Belgium was a friendly which they lost 2-0 to Spain. Since that game Belgium's record is:

Played - 23
    Won - 18
    Drawn - 5
    Lost - 0
    Scored - 76
    Conceded - 20

No country in the world can match that run. Yes they do have some great players. But so do a lot of other countries who are already going home.

And they proved tonight that, under Martinez, they can play one touch football or direct if needs be. Look at how Chadli, who couldn't get in the WBA side last season and Fellini, who rarely got a kick for Man Utd, performed when they came on.
    But then both Fellini and Lukaku were brilliant under Martinez at Everton.

In the time since Martinez got Everton have spent £217m on players and look where that has taken them - about the same place as Martinez left them but he never had the benefit of those funds to improve the side.

Which season did fellini play for him at Everton?
    2013-14 for four games before he was sold for £27.5m to United. But I do get your point even though he might have been brilliant in those four games!
    He wasn't sold to Utd, he was bought by Moyes, retained by van Gaal and retained and re-signed by Mourinho one of the most successful club managers of the modern era.

Nice edit but for every transaction there has to be a buyer and a seller - didn't they teach you that in the City?

And in 5 years there he has started 66 League matches or an average of 13 per season. He's that good that "Mourinho one of the most successful club managers of the modern era" started him in 5 matches last season!!!
    Well that's why you didn't work in the City! Aggressive and Passive.
  • Options
    err - You shouldn’t need an impact player/ substitute
    Why were the team selections wrong in the first place ?

Someone once said on here.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Cafc43v3r said:

Martinez first match in charge of Belgium was a friendly which they lost 2-0 to Spain. Since that game Belgium's record is:

Played - 23
    Won - 18
    Drawn - 5
    Lost - 0
    Scored - 76
    Conceded - 20

No country in the world can match that run. Yes they do have some great players. But so do a lot of other countries who are already going home.

And they proved tonight that, under Martinez, they can play one touch football or direct if needs be. Look at how Chadli, who couldn't get in the WBA side last season and Fellini, who rarely got a kick for Man Utd, performed when they came on.

In the time since Martinez got Everton have spent £217m on players and look where that has taken them - about the same place as Martinez left them but he never had the benefit of those funds to improve the side.

2013-14 for four games before he was sold for £27.5m to United. But I do get your point even though he might have been brilliant in those four games!
    He wasn't sold to Utd, he was bought by Moyes, retained by van Gaal and retained and re-signed by Mourinho one of the most successful club managers of the modern era.
    Nice edit but for every transaction there has to be a buyer and a seller - didn't they teach you that in the City?

And in 5 years there he has started 66 League matches or an average of 13 per season. He's that good that "Mourinho one of the most successful club managers of the modern era" started him in 5 matches last season!!!
    "Impact Player" Which of those two words do you not understand?
    And how did Martinez use him tonight? Defeated your own argument about what Martinez did with "So if he is that good why did he have to fundamentally change his plan after 60 odd minutes? If you're that good you pick the correct side in the first place."

But hey Mourinho picks the right team each and every time doesn't he because he never ever loses a game!
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    MrOneLung said:

Yes me about 40mins ago. And your point is?
    I'm not the manager of Man Utd or Belgium.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Cafc43v3r said:

Played - 23
    Won - 18
    Drawn - 5
    Lost - 0
    Scored - 76
    Conceded - 20

Well that's why you didn't work in the City! Aggressive and Passive.
    At least I'm not a bully!
  • Options
    Riviera said:

MrOneLung said:

Yes me about 40mins ago. And your point is?
    I'm not the manager of Man Utd or Belgium.
    See above for answer.
  • Options

Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Cafc43v3r said:

Played - 23
    Won - 18
    Drawn - 5
    Lost - 0
    Scored - 76
    Conceded - 20

And how did Martinez use him tonight? Defeated your own argument about what Martinez did with "So if he is that good why did he have to fundamentally change his plan after 60 odd minutes? If you're that good you pick the correct side in the first place."

But hey Mourinho picks the right team each and every time doesn't he because he never ever loses a game!
    Sorry you've lost me. I'm not a Man Utd or Mourinho fan. I'm just pointing out people's shortcomings.
    You cannot heap praise on a manager like Martinez like you have done tonight and for 6/7 years when he continually gets it wrong. Or Mourinho.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Cafc43v3r said:

Played - 23
    Won - 18
    Drawn - 5
    Lost - 0
    Scored - 76
    Conceded - 20

Sorry you've lost me. I'm not a Man Utd or Mourinho fan. I'm just pointing out people's shortcomings.
    You cannot heap praise on a manager like Martinez like you have done tonight and for 6/7 years when he continually gets it wrong. Or Mourinho.
    I'm sorry but you've lost me.

I'll make the pie in anticpation - what would you like in it?
  • Options
    edited July 2018

Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Riviera said:

So if he is that good why did he have to fundamentally change his plan after 60 odd minutes? If you're that good you pick the correct side in the first place. He is, and has always been obsessed with trying to play pretty football, a Guardiola wannabe. So when he's down he just brings a big fella on. Hardly rocket science. And don't slag off Fellaini, Utd have just signed him on again.

Obsessed with playing pretty and effective football but mixing it when necessary.

The trick is to recognise when things need to be changed and to make the right changes. What did Southgate do to change things?

I hope that you will change your opinion if Belgium do win the WC. But, knowing how stubborn you are, you won't.
    So they will beat Brazil and France and England (again)? Hmmmm I don't think so. The same team/squad/Manager were knocked out by Wales in the last major tournament.
    It's not my opinion of Belgium, it's your unhealthy obsession with Martinez.
    I think it's rather your unhealthy obsession with knocking Martinez. I thought the aim of the game was to win matches and score plenty of goals doing it. Which is just what Belgium are doing.

Whilst Croatia will win me a shed load more than Belgium will for wining the WC I really do hope now that they do. Just to see you come out with another load of bollocks!
    I have nothing against Belgium. This thread is 6 years old and starts with you suggesting that Liverpool are going to take Martinez as their manager. You revived the thread tonight. You are obsessed with him like you were with Houliller.
    I still do not think that Belgium will beat both France and Brazil as they have to (amongst others) to win the 2018 World Cup.
    Revive a thread that is 9 months old or start a new one. Can't win either way. And you only don't like the fat I have because you described him as a "crap club manager" despite others pointing out his successes at previous clubs. But don't let the facts get in the way eh?

I look forward to eating a massive amount of humble pie if and when they do win the 2018 World Cup.
    Check out your quotes @Addick Addict It's you eating the pie!
  • Options

Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Cafc43v3r said:

Played - 23
    Won - 18
    Drawn - 5
    Lost - 0
    Scored - 76
    Conceded - 20

Well you lost me first. I think what I said is quite clear.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Riviera said:

So if he is that good why did he have to fundamentally change his plan after 60 odd minutes? If you're that good you pick the correct side in the first place. He is, and has always been obsessed with trying to play pretty football, a Guardiola wannabe. So when he's down he just brings a big fella on. Hardly rocket science. And don't slag off Fellaini, Utd have just signed him on again.

Obsessed with playing pretty and effective football but mixing it when necessary.

The trick is to recognise when things need to be changed and to make the right changes. What did Southgate do to change things?

I hope that you will change your opinion if Belgium do win the WC. But, knowing how stubborn you are, you won't.
    So they will beat Brazil and France and England (again)? Hmmmm I don't think so. The same team/squad/Manager were knocked out by Wales in the last major tournament.
    I think it's rather your unhealthy obsession with knocking Martinez. I thought the aim of the game was to win matches and score plenty of goals doing it. Which is just what Belgium are doing.

Whilst Croatia will win me a shed load more than Belgium will for wining the WC I really do hope now that they do. Just to see you come out with another load of bollocks!
    I have nothing against Belgium. This thread is 6 years old and starts with you suggesting that Liverpool are going to take Martinez as their manager. You revived the thread tonight. You are obsessed with him like you were with Houliller.
    I still do not think that Belgium will beat both France and Brazil as they have to (amongst others) to win the 2018 World Cup.
    Revive a thread that is 9 months old or start a new one. Can't win either way. And you only don't like the fat I have because you described him as a "crap club manager" despite others pointing out his successes at previous clubs. But don't let the facts get in the way eh?

I look forward to eating a massive amount of humble pie if and when they do win the 2018 World Cup.
    Check out my response and I think you'll find I changed it to "you"
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Cafc43v3r said:

Played - 23
    Won - 18
    Drawn - 5
    Lost - 0
    Scored - 76
    Conceded - 20

Well you lost me first. I think what I said is quite clear.
    You would.
  • Options

Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Riviera said:

I quoted your original post and that stands. The pie is yours!
  • Options

Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Riviera said:

And you have not changed it!!!
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Riviera said:

I quoted your original post and that stands. The pie is yours!
    Yes but you will be eating it when Belgium wins the World Cup. I will be delivering it personally to your pub for you to do so.
  • Options

Riviera said:

Yeah when you're 2 nil down...
  • Options

Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Riviera said:

I look forward to you eating a massive amount of humble pie if and when they do win the 2018 World Cup.
    And I hope you enjoy it.
    I will.
    Oh yes I did!
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Yeah when you're 2 nil down...
    And win 3-2.
  • Options

Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Riviera said:

I look forward to you eating a massive amount of humble pie if and when they do win the 2018 World Cup.
    And I hope you enjoy it.
    I will.
    Oh yes I did!
    But that's not your original post!!!
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Riviera said:

And I hope you enjoy it.
    I will.
    Oh yes I did!
    And your point is? Not my fault you didn't see it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Riviera said:

And I hope you enjoy it.
    I will.
    Oh yes I did!
    My point is @Addick Addict that you said that you were looking forward to eating Humble Pie. I can only deal with facts I'm afraid.
  • Options
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    I loved watching his Everton play up until 2015. I'm still not sure if the players just stopped playing for him towards the last couple of seasons he was there. They looked like a complete different team compared to the seasons before, extremely slow with zero desire to win. I was a big fan of his but slowly got to the conclusion that the lack of defending emphasis in his footballing philosophy might hinder him from becoming one of the greatest coaches/managers in the world. Maybe attacking was his way of defending but I thought that had to be changed if he really wanted to progress.

Belgium's game against Tunisia is the only one that I've watched since he took over. It's one of my favourite games of this tournament so far but I still got the impression that his team isn't good at defending. I hope I'm wrong because I hope to see him have success. There are a few players in this Belgian team that I always like watching as a neutral (Hazard and Debryune etc.) and I would definitely rather they got to the semi-final than Brazil.

By the way I'm past the stage of hating all things Belgian. :lol:
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Riviera said:

Riviera said:

How many teams have a 100% record at this World Cup?
    Only two sides have ever won the World Cup with 100% records... Brazil and France
  • Options
    Bloody hell, this thread has become very strange.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Bloody hell, this thread has become very strange.

I lost interest when I realised it was humble, not hairy pie they were talking about.
  • Options

Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Riviera said:

And I hope you enjoy it.
    I will.
    Oh yes I did!
    Just buy him a '99'

He can't moan it's under 90 then.....
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Riviera said:

And I hope you enjoy it.
    I will.
    Oh yes I did!
    My point is @Addick Addict that you said that you were looking forward to eating Humble Pie. I can only deal with facts I'm afraid.
    I forgot to ask - what filling would you like in your humble pie?
  • Options
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Two matches away from winning the WC and just to point out Martinez wasn't the Manager at the Euros - he took over afterwards.