Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Roberto Martinez

Comments

• Options
    BREAKING NEWS: Everton confirm appointment of Roberto Martinez as manager. All the latest @BBCSport http://bbc.in/18UXhOl #bbcfootball #efc

Chris Powell now 14th longest serving in LMA charts after Martinez's Everton move. Will soon be 13th if/when Poyet goes at Brighton.
  • Options
    Think he's a decent manager but overrated.

Had it been a less 'likeable' manager saying "I want to go", after failing to meet the objective of survival and with a year left on the contract - they would be slaughtered for it.
  • Options
    Don't see him doing well not sure how he's expected to move the club higher than Moyes.
  • Options
    Early days but no one seems to have told Martinez that Everton aren't meant to start the season well.

Perhaps they'll finish badly instead!
  • Options
    Wins at United (which Moyes couldn't do) and the only team of the 92 clubs to lose just one League game this season.

Everton probably won't finish higher than 5th but you could hardly say that they've gone backwards under Martinez.
  • Options
    we will see once lukaku leaves
  • Options
    MattD said:

we will see once lukaku leaves

Like the £40 million worth of talent (Fellaini and Baines) missing from the Everton team tonight ;-)

• Options
    He's done a great job. I didn't think they'd be relegated under Martinez, as some suggested, but I never thought he'd do as well as he has done. Fair play to him and Everton are above United!
  • Options
    Two amazing loan signings in Lukaku and Delafaue (sp). Martinez deserved a top job and is proving he is a great manager.
  • Options
    Great manager. Lovely bloke as well, by the looks of every interview I've ever seen with him
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Two amazing loan signings in Lukaku and Delafaue (sp). Martinez deserved a top job and is proving he is a great manager.

Gareth Barry was a pretty shrewd loan signing too. And robbing United of 27m for Fellaini was also great business
  • Options

Great manager. Lovely bloke as well, by the looks of every interview I've ever seen with him

Indeed, he actually looks and sounds just like my Brazilian boss!
  • Options

Always comes across very dignified. I always respect a manager more if they resist the temptation to blame things on the ref, even when they have fair reason to do so. The opposite of an Alladyce or Bruce who go out of their way to bitch about referees.

Really pleased to see Everton doing so, they play some lovely attacking football but can still defend. Squad depth may hinder them but they are serious contenders to finish top 4, would be great if they could get in ahead of their bigger spending rivals.

• Options
    Thought Everton played really good football and would of been a shame to lose that
  • Options

What a smashing game Arseanal vs Everton has just been. Two teams really going for it and playing lovely football. Games like this are the reason the Premier League is the World's favourite.

agreed .. a very good game .. and Barkley ? ... THE best young English midfielder... he must go to Braaazzzziiillll
  • Options
    as I have said here before .. Moyes and Martinez to do a job swap at Christmas ? ... Man U got the wrong man it seems
  • Options
    If ever the Arsenal job came up, he would be ideal.
  • Options
    Think he'll turn Everton into a great club.

Seems that Moyes' job there was very overrated.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It appears Moyes has been holding Everton back all these years
  • Options
    He occasionally does 5live too and comes across as both a lovely bloke and VERY knowledgeable

Wanted him a few while back but beyond us now

Next one I think will be good is Uwe Rosler - done well in lower leagues
  • Options

Think he'll turn Everton into a great club.

Seems that Moyes' job there was very overrated.

He is very good, but Evertons growth potential is limited by money - they ain't got none!

Well, certainly bugger all compared to the big boys.
  • Options
    Reckon he should be offered the England job when Hodgson goes. There is no better candidate that I can see, and he even referred to England as 'us' in an interview yesterday! Spent more or less his whole adult life here - the perfect synthesis of English pride and Spanish tactical ability :D

(even if he is married to a Scot)
  • Options
    cracking game.
    Gutted when the goonershit scored.
    Hats off to The French Basil Faulty though he sussed his midfield were getting done and changed it completly around.
  • Options
    Lets see how Everton do when Lukalu, Barry and Deulofeu go back to Chelsea, Man City and Barcelona respectively. Will Man Utd come back in for Baines?

Not knocking Martinez for a moment but without them three/four, Everton will be a totally different proposition.

Martinez has done a great job so far though.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    JohnBoyUK said:

Lets see how Everton do when Lukalu, Barry and Deulofeu go back to Chelsea, Man City and Barcelona respectively. Will Man Utd come back in for Baines?

Not knocking Martinez for a moment but without them three/four, Everton will be a totally different proposition.

That's a bit like saying "how will Spurs do without that £100m they spent during the summer?".
    Barry, Lukaku & Deulofeu aren't worth £100m (some might argue that the players Spurs signed aren't either!). Or, put another way, how would Martinez do with that £100m worth of talent plus the rest of Spurs magnificent squad.

Everton are above Spurs and have only lost one game this season - away to Man City and everyone loses there. Their next run of games are:

Everton v Fulham
    Swansea v Everton
    Everton v Sunderland
    Everton v Southampton
    Stoke v Everton
    Everton v Norwich
    West Brom v Everton

Southampton in 8th are the top placed of those clubs and that set of fixtures is rather indicative that, coming to the half way stage, Everton have already played all the "top" sides.
  • Options
    Barry won't go back to City. Everton will sign him for a mill or so.
  • Options

JohnBoyUK said:

That's a bit like saying "how will Spurs do without that £100m they spent during the summer?".
    Barry, Lukaku & Deulofeu aren't worth £100m (some might argue that the players Spurs signed aren't either!). Or, put another way, how would Martinez do with that £100m worth of talent plus the rest of Spurs magnificent squad.

Everton are above Spurs and have only lost one game this season - away to Man City and everyone loses there. Their next run of games are:

Everton v Fulham
    Swansea v Everton
    Everton v Sunderland
    Everton v Southampton
    Stoke v Everton
    Everton v Norwich
    West Brom v Everton

Southampton in 8th are the top placed of those clubs and that set of fixtures is rather indicative that, coming to the half way stage, Everton have already played all the "top" sides.
    Er not quite what I was getting at.

When them players go back to their parent clubs, how are they going to replace them with no money? Its common knowledge Everton are millions in debt and Bill Kenwright hasnt got any cash to throw around. He's been trying to sell the club for the last 4-5 years but they cant find a buyer. If there's one PL club that needs a cash injection its Everton.

I wasnt having a go at Martinez or Everton, it was a valid observation. I certainly wasnt writing that from a Tottenham perspective. I'd happily see us miss out on a CL place if it meant Everton got it ahead of the likes of one of the big clubs. It needs more teams like Everton and Spurs having a go.
  • Options

Barry won't go back to City. Everton will sign him for a mill or so.

Indeed, might be a bit more than a million though.

Doesn't seem that Mourinho is a big fan of Lukaku either, they might be able to get him too.

Not sure how far the Spanish kid is down the pecking order at Barca, but if he is playing regularly then that is a big attraction - certainly better than getting splinters in your arse.