Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Michael Owen To Sign ....

Comments

• Options
    Ok mate, not 40 plus others he scored for his country?

If anyone will say honestly they would trust Walcott, Carroll, young or any other English forward to finish a pressure one on one ahead of owen... You need testing!
  • Options
    He's not fit enough. Why do you think United have said goodbye?

• Options
    Even 30% fitness he is a level above Carroll or Defoe.
  • Options

If anyone will say honestly they would trust Walcott, Carroll, young or any other English forward to finish a pressure one on one ahead of owen... You need testing!
    not saying he was a bad player, a good finisher but not world class like some on here were suggesting. Top half prem league striker but never replicated the kind of goal he scored against the argies. Was also playing in a team with beckham et al in their prime. Always have thought he was overrated and the only thing he had going for him was his ability to poach mixed with his electric pace. Now both of them have gone and hes a championship standard striker. Be happy to be proved wrong.
  • Options
    Ha, Owen not top quality !

In the two top leagues in World football and for his country he has scored over 200 goals in 440 appearances. One of only four Englishman ever to win European footballer of the year.

Owen was a class act decimated by injury, but don't ever rubbish how good he was.

• Options
    An interesting fact about Michael Owen he scored in every knockout stage match that he ever played in for England.

WC 98 2nd Round vs Argentina
    WC 02 2nd Round vs Denmark
    WC 02 Quarter Final vs Brazil
    Euro 04 Quarter Final vs Portugal

So unlike other big stars he did deliver in big games.
  • Options
    ^^ Agree with this - never let England down and but for the injuries would by now be England's leading goal scorer by a mile.
  • Options
    If he had started 20 games for any premier league club this year he would have 10+ goals and would be going to the euro's ahead of Defoe.

Injuries have ruined him, still fancy him to get one my year at a decent ish club thouugh (I'd have him here in a heartbeat)
  • Options
    Very much doubt we could afford him or attract him but a class player, end of.

Agree with Carter and AFKA. Top quality player, one of the few world class players we have had in recent years. Can't believe some of the comments on here.
  • Options
    Personally, I can't think of a better player to have in your team in a one-on-one with a keeper. In that situation, I'd rather him than Carroll, Defoe, Bent, Walcott or even Rooney.

Yes, the injury aspect has to be taken into account for obvious reasons but think it's laughable how some of you guys seem to be knocking his ability. Far too good for the Championship...................
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can't believe anyone would think that Michael Owen was anything other than a top class striker. We all know about the goal he scored against Argentina but he demonstrated his ability time and again. I recall the goal against Brazil in 2002, turned his market, a little feint to shoot which put their goalie completely off balance and then tucked it away. That my friends if you watch it in slow mo was how you score a goal. If he wants to come here I for one would welcome him with open arms. However it's not going to happen is it?
  • Options
    He can afford to be choosy. Was one of the best finishers of our time.

Can see him ending up at Spurs for some reason...
  • Options
    Owen will still do a good job in the Premiership and is still only 32 as mentioned above.

However, his choice of club will definitely be influenced by proximity to his stables so Everton, Wigan or Villa would be my suggestions as likely destinations.
  • Options
    A lot depends on what Michael Owen wants. Is he desperate to play, so happy to sign for a middling team on low basic wage but with large appearance bonuses, or is he looking for a final payday, as a 'trophy acquisition' e.g. in the middle east, MLS or China?
  • Options
    Cant believe people would knock this fella.... maybe past his best but his england record speaks for itself and had he not had so many injuries would have gone on to break the goalscoring record.
  • Options
    one of the best finishers I've seen in my time.

apart from the goals mentioned, also remember not that long ago the Manchester derby where he took a ball from Giggs, opened up his body and slotted it. that was 90+ mins to win it 4-3. pressure of the occasion would have got to the vast majority of strikers in that situation and they would have fluffed it.
  • Options
    He can afford to be choosy. Was one of the best finishers of our time.

Can see him ending up at Spurs for some reason...
    I can as well. Very much so. Wouldnt have thought he'd want to move from the North West, what with his stables though.

• Options
    Owen will still do a good job in the Premiership and is still only 32 as mentioned above.

However, his choice of club will definitely be influenced by proximity to his stables so Everton, Wigan or Villa would be my suggestions as likely destinations.
    Or possibly Blackpool if they come up!
  • Options
    Even if he'd only played for the last couple of months, would still take him to the Euro's ahead of the strikers going (except Rooney). Look at the goals he hs scored for United in the last two or so seasons (albeit many in Carling Cup), still an excellent finisher, movement is superb and if he stays fit always likely to get a goal.

Hope he stays in the Premiership and gets a few more goals.

Would make a good partner for Jelavic at Everton.
  • Options
    Owen > BWP
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What I liked about Owen is that besides being a good goal scorer is that he scores in the pressure matches - I recall an FA cup Final a decade or so ago when Liverpool were outplayed by Arsenal and he popped up with two goals to win it, the hat-trick in the 5-1 match in Munich, and a few others. How often have England had players who haven't delivered when the pressure has been on?
  • Options
    Rumours are he has signed a 3 year contract with Welling Utd.

In a interview he said "Its the biggest moment of my career being able to join the bigges club in Europe."
  • Options

In a interview he said "Its the biggest moment of my career being able to join the bigges club in Europe."
    don't get why you made this joke?

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Very much doubt we could afford him or attract him but a class player, end of.

Agree with Carter and AFKA. Top quality player, one of the few world class players we have had in recent years. Can't believe some of the comments on here.
    Hard to argue with that. Kevin Phillips cameos are pretty damn impressive and Owen is younger with a better pedigree.
  • Options

not saying he was a bad player, a good finisher but not world class like some on here were suggesting. Top half prem league striker but never replicated the kind of goal he scored against the argies. Was also playing in a team with beckham et al in their prime. Always have thought he was overrated and the only thing he had going for him was his ability to poach mixed with his electric pace. Now both of them have gone and hes a championship standard striker. Be happy to be proved wrong.
    Ha!

Great striker who would have destroyed the English goals record if it hadn't been for injuries.
  • Options

Don't waste your time thinking about it. You seem to be quoting on my posts a lot lately, do you want a autograph or something?
  • Options
    What a boring thread.
  • Options
    What a boring thread.
    I was trying to liven it up :-|
  • Options
    Not you, the fact it was started in the first place. Here am I posting on it twice - damn !!
    I think ''Does anyone know a real ale pub in China''? is more interesting.
  • Options

Don't waste your time thinking about it. You seem to be quoting on my posts a lot lately, do you want a autograph or something?
    really? must be pure coincidence. Didn't mean to be rude but it was poor, wasn't sure if I was missing something.