Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Why do we sound like a library on TV?

Comments

• Options
    It may seem funny to some but I go to football matches to er, well, watch football. I don't really go to sing - if that's what I wanted to do it would be karioke in a pub or a slot on X-factor.
    Similarily because I'm actually watching the football, you won't catch me filming it, sending an SMS to a mate in a different part of the ground, catching up with other teams latest scores on my 'phone or checking for tweets or facebook dross. You could do all that stuff at home so why bother actually pitching up at a match and then not showing any interest in it at all?
    That's fair enough, everones different. Do you think you would enjoy the game as much if there was no singing or atmosphere at all. Me personally I dont think I would.

• Options
    You say that there's not that much singing going on, but there is, just not enough people join in. I still don't have my voice back from Wycombe. If people don't want to sing then that's up to them but when people criticise that the north upper were quiet, yet don't sing themselves is so annoying. My post wasn't meant to come across as saying 'we give it large the whole game' but we do sing, quite a lot, but it's hard to get an atmosphere going when the majority Of the ground won't sing, which is up to them, each to their own and all that
  • Options
    I agree entirely. Singing is such an important part of the atmosphere, I personally would be in the Upper north but I take my 12 year old brother along and I think it would be harder for him to see there (he's quite short bless him).
  • Options
    its the steady sanitization of football that has been going on for years and from all corners.
  • Options
    really think that the south stand should at least be split in half and get some of our fans in there,it gives the away team such an advantage when it is full of away fans making noise which will happen more next season,can never understand why we are so accomadating to away fans,stick them in some poxy corner where they cant be heard.Charge a bit less for home fans in south stand and it will fill,SINGERS ONLY STAND,I expect the club say its a police issue but really its just a easy option to send away fans in there,and to be honest i think its a bit lazy.
    This is such crap. Who the hell wants to sit in there as preference, other than people whose purpose is to pull faces at the away fans? But leaving that to one side, if you offer cheap home tickets in the JS Stand to home fans, you have to reduce the price to the away supporters, costing the club money. You have to pay for a segregation line of stewards/police and you have to pay for extra police in the ground, because they will up the match security rating. The away fans at these matches would be restricted to the inadequate toilets and smaller refreshment kiosk on the Valley Grove side, the latter reducing revenue again, and you have to split the turnstiles at the Bartram Gate.

Taken together the cost of these issues could easily be £10k per match, which in League One has often been 20 per cent of the gate receipts.
  • Options
    wasnt talking about league 1 but now that we are back in the championship, and hopefully on to premiership would permament dividing barriers cost a lot long term?would you not want home supporters outsinging away supporters,wouldnt home supporters buy refreshments,south stand might not be your preffered stand but its sold out for hartlepool,are you not expecting any more big games in the future,I am.Would you still have to offer cheap away tickets if it was a season ticket only area,I thought we was to grow again as a club,I thought we are ambitous,I thought we want to increase our attendances or shall we just be happy and grateful that we are back in the championship.

• Options
    Acoustics, The Seed stand has a low roof so the noise is pushed forward so for a small amount of fans the noise travels a long way. The North has a very high roof so the noise just goes up and out, bad design.
  • Options
    wasnt talking about league 1 but now that we are back in the championship, and hopefully on to premiership would permament dividing barriers cost a lot long term?would you not want home supporters outsinging away supporters,wouldnt home supporters buy refreshments,south stand might not be your preffered stand but its sold out for hartlepool,are you not expecting any more big games in the future,I am.Would you still have to offer cheap away tickets if it was a season ticket only area,I thought we was to grow again as a club,I thought we are ambitous,I thought we want to increase our attendances or shall we just be happy and grateful that we are back in the championship.

Sticking people in an old stand and cutting the Away fans allocation isn't going to help. Long term, we will be looking to pull the stand down and build a new one in it's place with the corners filled in, not build a crash barrier through the middle of an old stand. We sold out Hartlepool as it was a fiver all round and there's going to be a mental celebration as we are the champions, nothing more, we didn't sell out Hartlepool last season did we? Besides, I am sure there is a rule where you have to offer 10% of your ground to clubs who ask for it, which is pretty much the whole JS, so where would you then house the other 1500 away fans when people like Leeds come to The Valley? This would push cost up even more.
  • Options
    Yeah, also the wind is blowing the wrong way
    Charlton fans never get their voices back from the last games full on shouting!!!!
    We always drink more than the other team so find it harder to sing
    Quite often the away fans are secretly singing through megaphones

Insert other excuses here.
  • Options
    its not rocket science, if more supporters vocally supported their team the noise would be as loud as as most of the supposed noisy grounds, but unfortunatly we don't
    we are a safe happy family club (and i'm not knocking that) where the majority prefer to clap hands and toe tap rather than open mouths and sing/shout.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Lol, we won the league the other day, but wycombe still managed to outsing us for the most part.
  • Options
    Where are these incredibly noisy grounds people always compare us with, as whenever I go away, the home sections are worse than the home sections at The Valley!
  • Options
    All English fans seem quite compared to this lot.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtLxpMyh13g
    would be quality to get the vally like that!
  • Options
    It's all people's imagination a lot of the time, i promise that 99% of clubs fans have exactly this conversation.
  • Options
    All English fans seem quite compared to this lot.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtLxpMyh13g
    would be quality to get the vally like that!
    prawns flying all over the place
  • Options
    It's all people's imagination a lot of the time, i promise that 99% of clubs fans have exactly this conversation.
    i make you right.
  • Options
    As i've said before would make a lot of difference if our main vocal end was right behind the goal rather than up in the gods.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jZTw2yAfWU
  • Options
    Seems to me that the atmosphere has got worse as the capacity of the ground has increased, remember the atmosphere during the promotion season (97-98) being very good the capacity was 15,000 then, after the upper north was opened and then the new west stand it went down hill, and has never really recovered.
  • Options
    i guess it means its up to us eaststanders to sort this mess out as the covered end don't seem capable.

.....*sigh*.....we trust you with just one thing....*shakes head*....
  • Options
    concise and to the point!

asides from the rare European games at places like Anfield or big derbies very few English grounds now have a raucous atmosphere

Spurs fans say the Lane is dead, Upton Park is quiet, even Anfield is dead except when Utd/Everton visit or for the afforementioned European nights

Football has changed massively and this is one of the negative outcomes to those changes.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    hasn't really been the same since sir alan curbishley got sacked
  • Options
    It's sitting down wot done it.
    You simply can't fill your lungs and belt out a tune if you're sitting down.
    Also the crowd is too mixed, families, kids, olduns all lumped together. Away fans are usually just a bunch of blokes.
  • Options
    It's sitting down wot done it.
    You simply can't fill your lungs and belt out a tune if you're sitting down.
    Also the crowd is too mixed, families, kids, olduns all lumped together. Away fans are usually just a bunch of blokes.
    This!

Plus the Premiership brought in all the prawn sandwich brigade from Kent etc who don't sing. Apart from the odd few, The Premiership has killed so many teams support.
  • Options
    so were now saying that were all quiet and its not much better at upton park and the lane lol
  • Options
    I'm sure people are right that many grounds are quiet, and for all the reasons mentioned. But I wasn't really talking about that. It seems to me that on TV we sound quieter than the rest.

Brentford made a very interesting point. He seems to know what he is talking about and says the TV noise is dubbed in. In which case somebody thinks we are quiet and dubs accordingly !
  • Options
    I hope it changes one way or another. Our away support is decent, but suppose most away fans out sing home crowds these days.
  • Options
    I'm sure people are right that many grounds are quiet, and for all the reasons mentioned. But I wasn't really talking about that. It seems to me that on TV we sound quieter than the rest.

Brentford made a very interesting point. He seems to know what he is talking about and says the TV noise is dubbed in. In which case somebody thinks we are quiet and dubs accordingly !
    I don't think they dub crowd noise in, it would be more trouble than its worth with live sport. They do however adjust the levels to their liking. Turning the crowd levels down when abusive/naughty chants are sung, for example.
  • Options
    really think that the south stand should at least be split in half and get some of our fans in there,it gives the away team such an advantage when it is full of away fans making noise which will happen more next season,can never understand why we are so accomadating to away fans,stick them in some poxy corner where they cant be heard.Charge a bit less for home fans in south stand and it will fill,SINGERS ONLY STAND,I expect the club say its a police issue but really its just a easy option to send away fans in there,and to be honest i think its a bit lazy.
    This is such crap. Who the hell wants to sit in there as preference, other than people whose purpose is to pull faces at the away fans? But leaving that to one side, if you offer cheap home tickets in the JS Stand to home fans, you have to reduce the price to the away supporters, costing the club money. You have to pay for a segregation line of stewards/police and you have to pay for extra police in the ground, because they will up the match security rating. The away fans at these matches would be restricted to the inadequate toilets and smaller refreshment kiosk on the Valley Grove side, the latter reducing revenue again, and you have to split the turnstiles at the Bartram Gate.

Taken together the cost of these issues could easily be £10k per match, which in League One has often been 20 per cent of the gate receipts.

So all you in the south stand(jimmy seed) against hartlepool saturday week please refrain from poking your tongue out and pulling faces at their supporters

• Options
    There are a lot of different reasons but the main one is that there are only a few thousand singing and they are mainly at the back of the North Upper which is as far from the centre of the pitch as you can get. There's a reason that European clubs stick away fans up in the top tier (San Siro, Nou Camp, Bernabau etc...) never quite understood why anyone though it would be a good idea to do this at the Valley with our most vocal fans.

We are never going to have the whole ground singing due to the demographic of our fans. Going forward, short of terracing the North Lower I can't see much improving unless some of the more vocal fans decide to move en masse to a different area of the ground.
  • Options
    Just to be clear (and I doubt many care but anyway) live coverage is always actual live sound and well-miced so you can hear corner kicks etc. On highlights shows there are often two tracks - a general 'football match hubbub' sound that runs all the time and a 'goal' cheer when, er, there's a goal. It's quicker than making sure the sound that was recorded during filming is ok, as it often won't be, coming as it often does from a microphone on the front of the camera that's been covered up by the waterproof housing that is stopping the camera from getting soaking wet.

Lots of sport sound is faked, most obviously horse racing. Aside from the grand national and a couple of other featured big races, the sound of the horses hooves that you hear is coming from a sound effects disc running in the TV truck.

And as for that microphone hanging from the roof of the covered end, I don't know. It's not a proper broadcast mic for crowd noise purposes and I wonder if it goes to the police control room. And it doesn't look like it's been safety-chained so I hope that the cable holding it is in good nick, otherwise someone might get a sore head one day...