Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Why do we sound like a library on TV?

This has been bugging me for some time. TV highlights seem to make us sound quieter and less raucous than virtually any other group of fans. Just watched the Wycombe goals again on the Monday show. How is it possible that 500 Wycombe sound as loud as 18,000 Charlton? Surely it cannot just be the accoustics? And can the club influence it? If so, they should. Its embarassing.

Comments

• Options
    Perhaps the microphone is closer to the away fans?
  • Options
    Because only two stands sing, the north and the jimmy seed, the others don't
  • Options
    It might have something to do with where the microphones are placed. There are two loud areas, the CE and the JS. The mics are ground level, but the majority of noise we make is up in the CE, as opposed to the JS which is fairly close to the pitch.
  • Options
    The crowd effects microphone was hidden in a flask in the East Stand?
  • Options
    The crowd effects microphone was hidden in a flask in the East Stand?
    Was, but they removed it after the fifth SIDDAWN... :-(
  • Options
    It might have something to do with where the microphones are placed. There are two loud areas, the CE and the JS. The mics are ground level, but the majority of noise we make is up in the CE, as opposed to the JS which is fairly close to the pitch.
    Maybe, but that wouldn't explain the noise from goal celebrations, as even the East and West stands shout out loud after a goal!
  • Options
    It's because all the 'singings' are in the upper north where any noise they may make is mostly lost... If they were true charlton fans they would be in the covered end and getting behind the team from there...
  • Options
    For the sort of coverage we are getting, there is one microphone in the press gantry above the East stand. We have a large ground and the mics are some distance from the source and so by the time the sound gets to the mic it has dissipated quite a lot. That's when it is the actual sound, much of the time on highlights you are listening to a library sound effect. When we have live coverage pitchside mics are used and more effort is made to get decent crowd sounds.

And we are not very noisy, I'm afraid.
  • Options
    Because only two stands sing, the north and the jimmy seed, the others don't
    How many other grounds have all four sides/stands singing?
  • Options
    Haha I love how the upper north go on like they are giving it large the whole game. Compared to the East and West yes... But generally sing for 5 minutes at the beginning, any time BWP loses the ball or misses a one on one with "he's better than Shaun" and a singing of Chris Solly songs every couple of minutes (which I join in with)

Other than that we sing generally when we are sure we are going to win ie the 80th minute at 2-0.

Glad to see the Kermorgant song coming in by the way.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    There are still the mics hanging down from the north upper. Problem is... We are quiet... It's just what Charlton is.
  • Options
    Still a million miles better than all the stands combined at Fulham I might add.
  • Options
    Haha I love how the upper north go on like they are giving it large the whole game. Compared to the East and West yes... But generally sing for 5 minutes at the beginning, any time BWP loses the ball or misses a one on one with "he's better than Shaun" and a singing of Chris Solly songs every couple of minutes (which I join in with)

Other than that we sing generally when we are sure we are going to win ie the 80th minute at 2-0.

Possibly my favourite post for a long time. The we are the best supporters because we sing and sit in The North Upper gets used so often it gets boring.

I now await the anticipated rebuff
  • Options
    Still a million miles better than all the stands combined at Fulham I might add.
    yeah especially in the fa cup when they're playing a tier 3 team

cos we used to rock when we were in the prem against lower league
  • Options
    yeah especially in the fa cup when they're playing a tier 3 team

cos we used to rock when we were in the prem against lower league
    Pretty sure we were louder than Luton.
  • Options

large dollop of truth

• Options

Possibly my favourite post for a long time. The we are the best supporters because we sing and sit in The North Upper gets used so often it gets boring.

I now await the anticipated rebuff
    So very true gets very boring
  • Options
    we have the quietest ground in london even barnet surpass us we could win the premier league and it would still echo a morgue. The only people who think our fans are loud are Charlton fans , brutally true sadly
  • Options
    We need Creatine on tap in the North upper Nolly, that will sort it
  • Options
    it would help but only short term mike
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Of course we dont have the loudest fans as it is, the acoustics and the fact that we have our noisiest fans' so far from the pitch make things even worse.
  • Options
    What people need to realise is that the rousing chorus of '9 goals went past Perry' on Saturday was barely audible from the front of the North UPPER!!!!
  • Options
    SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
  • Options
    Don't forget the very loud. Comeee on youuu redsssss. Which happens Everytime a corner is about to be taken....
  • Options
    When playing at home, a goal goes in and the home fans generally let out one big cheer, jump to their feet and clap.

Away fans will always be that bit louder and more 'mental' when they score. Strange but common occurrence in football.
  • Options
    Maybe its because its not the whole of the covered end that sings. Most of the time its just the H and J blocks that sing, even that its only the back 10-15 rows.
  • Options
    loudest crowd reaction on saturday was after about 80 mins when the stewards filtered in front of the covered end to stop the pitch invasion.
  • Options
    Maybe its because its not the whole of the covered end that sings. Most of the time its just the H and J blocks that sing, even that its only the back 10-15 rows.
    I found that the east stand Was bouncing which was quite funny but there are lots of people that every other game of the season some of the fans in the east stand seem to either go along for a moan or to sleep. ZzzzzzzzzzzzzZ

• Options
    really think that the south stand should at least be split in half and get some of our fans in there,it gives the away team such an advantage when it is full of away fans making noise which will happen more next season,can never understand why we are so accomadating to away fans,stick them in some poxy corner where they cant be heard.Charge a bit less for home fans in south stand and it will fill,SINGERS ONLY STAND,I expect the club say its a police issue but really its just a easy option to send away fans in there,and to be honest i think its a bit lazy.
  • Options
    It may seem funny to some but I go to football matches to er, well, watch football. I don't really go to sing - if that's what I wanted to do it would be karioke in a pub or a slot on X-factor.
    Similarily because I'm actually watching the football, you won't catch me filming it, sending an SMS to a mate in a different part of the ground, catching up with other teams latest scores on my 'phone or checking for tweets or facebook dross. You could do all that stuff at home so why bother actually pitching up at a match and then not showing any interest in it at all?