Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Player of the Year dinner on 6th May - explanation

Comments

• A few points.

1. I went to Middlesbrough on a Tuesday night back in the early 90's, so I believe I have a divine right to a ticket.
    2. Why's that notorious blagger Steve Rider getting a freebie?
    3. Yes, I'm joking.
    Thanks for bringing some levity to this thread, Off_it !

Well done for organising the POTY Fanny. Having organised several in the past it was always a worry when trying to sell tickets and ensure that we covered costs and did our best to provide a good event for the club, players and fans. This was not always achieved, but all was with the best of intentions.

Absolutely gutted that I missed this one. Always try and do this when we have a home match the same weekend as Mayday, having moved far away, can't do all the events I would like to.

Had at least one table and possibly two to fill. As we were trying to get organised, we simply missed the boat. A very good situation for anyone organising an event to be in. Hence very pleased for all that are going and organising.

Now Fanny, if you can send a player or two down to our alternative POTY/promotion party on the Saturday evening after Hartlepool, this would soften the blow of missing out on the official event:-)
  • Bless you, TT.

Just let me know where that party will take place and I'll see ...

.. whether I can make it !!

Hope to see you at the 2013 bash !
  • Never been to one of these events but so good to see the numbers are high. Well done to Fanny for explaining the process and more importantly for organising it! I hope all the lucky attendees appreciate and enjoy the evening. Again, thanks to Fanny and Ian for all their effort and commitment. (Please let the evening be as 'Champions'!)
  • I think this goes to show that we have our Charlton back and lots of people want in whether it be sponsoring shirts or getting tickets for the POTY dinner.
  • Thanks for those positive comments, lads.

Makes the "job" worthwhile.
    xx
  • Erm...don't forget we 'gals', Fanny! xx
  • As a few have said, I'm not usually fond of these events & only ever attended one when supporting the organiser (well done Guinness). It certainly helped to have Dean Kiely and a certain Chris Powell on my table and, despite Dean being late and leaving Chris on his own with a bunch of strange people, both were the best company you could wish for.

Having organised events for work, I know how difficult it is to cater for everyone. I think Fanny and Ian should be applauded for their efforts and Fanny for her full and very open explanation of how the background to this year's event has unfolded.

Let's enjoy the remaining 3 games/9 points!! :-)
  • Thanks for those positive comments, lads.

Makes the "job" worthwhile.
    xx
    Erm...don't forget we 'gals', Fanny! xx
    Ooops....mea culpa, Eynsford !

• So, was I the only one who didn't get to vote AGAIN this year? I think I've only got to vote once in the last 4 or 5 years. Didn't see anyone in the North upper or outside.
  • Gutted I never got a ticket.... mum's 50th..... and once the tickets were sold he she let me know she's going away for her birthday now. Brilliant.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2012
    So, was I the only one who didn't get to vote AGAIN this year? I think I've only got to vote once in the last 4 or 5 years. Didn't see anyone in the North upper or outside.
    Check in activity Stone.....you'll no doubt find someone or something in there that can steer you in the right direction.

• So, was I the only one who didn't get to vote AGAIN this year? I think I've only got to vote once in the last 4 or 5 years. Didn't see anyone in the North upper or outside.
    No me too. Haven't seen anyone collecting for years.
    Yup . Think you were, Stone.

No collectors in the N Upper but several in Harvey Gardens in the vicinity of the N Stand turnstiles.

Next year.......

• Sid was doing the rounds in Crossbars with clip board firmly in hand.............efficient as ever!
  • Does anyone know what time this generally finishes? Need to work out if it's a train or cab journey home....
  • edited May 2012
    Not sure but I'll be there at 6 o'clock when doors open so looking forward to a good night
  • The clique is taking the players to The Venue afterwards if anyone is interested.
  • We not looking to have a team without stab wounds next season then?
  • When the tickets on sale ?
    ;-)
  • this might sound a bit strange, but will we know the winner before that night ??? I thought the whole idea of having the vote the other week was that the winner is annouced before the Hartlepool game so that the winner gets to parade his prize during the lap of honour.

a lot of fans never know who wins POTY as its always annouced after the season has ended and a lot of fans don't have internet access etc and are in the dark
  • Sponsored links:

• this might sound a bit strange, but will we know the winner before that night ??? I thought the whole idea of having the vote the other week was that the winner is annouced before the Hartlepool game so that the winner gets to parade his prize during the lap of honour.

a lot of fans never know who wins POTY as its always annouced after the season has ended and a lot of fans don't have internet access etc and are in the dark
    "A lot of fans don't have internet access".......you must be kidding of course!.

And if it was announced at the game some would complain that "I paid £25 for a ticket and £60 in petrol to see the presentation and it was done the day before in front of everyone".

Wrong maybe but then again some people complain if we only draw away when we are on 98 points and champions

As long as I can remember it has been announced at the POTY do and not at a game.

• I undertand all that - just wondered then why were votes cast a few weeks back & not at the last game of the season as per usual ???

I thought i heard at a meeting with either RM, Slater or Powell, that this was being changed.

BTW - my parents haven't got internet access (they are aged 77 & 80) but go every week (my mum to away games too) and have voted like everyone else. I suppose they will just have to wait until August when it appears in the first Matchday programnme.

ho-hum.
  • You could always tell them Golfie, or are you not on speaking terms? :-)
  • Not true Golfie because you can tell them.

My dad is 80, he's a bit of a Luddite but he knows how he can find things out on the Internet, though I have to act as the IT help desk. So please don't think that the Internet is purely the domain of those who grew up after the silicon chip explosion of the 80's.

Tell me, would you rather have it like it used to be 15-20 years ago? No press or TV coverage for those not living in SE London? At least we are covering it, Millennium FM never used to.

As far back as I can remember it has always been awarded at a dinner/do/mosh up (Trafalgar Tavern, remember that night?) and never been presented on the pitch beforehand.

For everyone else, if you aren't going and do have Internet access, we will be broadcasting live on CAFC player and live blogging via our website. I suspect that you do have access as you wouldn't be reading this.
  • What BDL said.

And I'm pretty sure the local papers will pick up on the news and failing that fans could ring the Club.

• perhaps then it could have been staged a week earlier (is there not a sponser's dinner tonight ?) - that way the 250 fans who are going to the event will not be disappointed that they result was known beforehand and the other 25,000 of us can then be told on Saturday.

simples
  • Just say Kermogant Solly.