Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Away support

Comments

• Options
    Were win the title at carlisle away i reckon,5000 charlton there

yep just like the 1,100 who were there to witness us claim the championship title in 2000 at blackburn

I was there !
  • Options

I'm in the same boat as you then and have only done 4 away game so far but I can understand why the likes of you, Me and lots of others can't go anymore.

And for the Young'uns , Football isn't cheap anymore, You can't just wake up and go up to Sheffield etc what with the train prices.

• Options
    but SE10 i can't get my head around the fact that other clubs away/home ratio numbers wise are so much better than ours cos all clubs fans are in the same boat
  • Options
    SE10 there's always excuses im sure every single person who does or doesn't go to an away game could come up with reasons why they couldnt be it money, family, other commitments, whatever. But the point is our away turnout is so much lower than other sides of comparable size. Our supporters as a whole must have as much disposable income as those of most other clubs in the country given our location / demographics etc, so unless you are suggesting that southampton or norwich or portsmouth or leicester or bristol city or birmingham's fan base includes a much higher number of singletons with no kids where our fan base has vast numbers of 40 year old parents with two toddlers biting at the kneecaps then there is no logic to it.

southampton are a prime example, a club who most would suggest are of a comparable stature and have a similar fanbase to ours. compare their away turnouts last season to ours at the end of this season, despite their distance further away from almost every club in the division, and it is a bit embarrassing. 

i got to sheffield and back for the united game for 18quid return from st panc as well by the way (first class in one direction), not a fortune i would say.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Working weekends is a killer , i did 11 and a half years of working alternate weekends , which meant i was so knackered on my weekends off that you didn't want a long journey anywhere , now the kids are older and i'm not working weekends , i'm trying to make up for it , i really don't know if i'll get to Carlisle , but i want to get to as many away games as i can as i think (hope) this could be a special season , and i don't want to miss out , so far Bury, Hartlepool , Rochdale , Colchester , Notts County , Wycombe & Brentford have been brilliant , Stevenage was just rubbish , and i'm gutted i missed out on Mk Dons , have got tickets for Yeovil , Walsall & Leyton Orient , was pleased we had a Monday night game v Huddersfield , as it meant a break at the weekend.

Away games are fun but knackering! the northern wins for me have been the most fun , despite the long distances travelled , i can understand why more people can't / don't want to go having been in that situation myself.
  • Options

Quick question, for games where the club does not run a ticket promotion,
    we achieve a gate of approx 15,000.

When we have run the all tickets £5 offer we have reached around 22,000.

How do the total match day revenue compare?
    Added bums on seats = more programmes sold, more food purchased etc etc.

Does the added non-ticket revenue cover the shortfall in ticket sale
    revenue?

The reason I ask is I cannot understand for the long distance away games why clubs dont charge less to attract a better gate. I would be far more inclined to go when I'm being charged £15 rather than £25.
  • Options

Southampton is a one club city

• Options

Quick question, for games where the club does not run a ticket promotion,
    we achieve a gate of approx 15,000.

When we have run the all tickets £5 offer we have reached around 22,000.

How do the total match day revenue compare?
    Added bums on seats = more programmes sold, more food purchased etc etc.

Does the added non-ticket revenue cover the shortfall in ticket sale
    revenue?

The reason I ask is I cannot understand for the long distance away games why clubs dont charge less to attract a better gate. I would be far more inclined to go when I'm being charged £15 rather than £25.
    You need to strike a balance. If we ran a ticket offer too often then it wouldn't seem like an offer - more like the norm. Plus you have to ensure that the price of a season ticket is less than the sum of a home ticket for all the home games... presumably. I think CAFC are getting it just right at the moment.

Regarding away support, I'm not sure why our home/away fans ratio is poor. However, it doesn't matter. I don't think the number of fans affects the performances on the pitch. It's much more likely to be the other way around.
  • Options
    Our away support?

SO. F**KING WHAT?

Jeez, get a life - we're 7 points clear at the top of the league ffs.
    Easy tiger. Creating discussion that's all.

Interesting points..

• Options
    I take it that is a very tongue in cheek figure?  Halve that if you are lucky
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fulham 7,000! Carlisle 1,000 if we're lucky.
  • Options

yep just like the 1,100 who were there to witness us claim the championship title in 2000 at blackburn
    Couldn't criticise those that were there. It was a bank holiday monday and we'd played on the friday night before, drawing with portsmouth. Can't remember which results went in our favour on the saturday, but it unexpectedly meant we could get promotion there. Hence poor numbers in a horrible run in that season. Curbishley played for the draw which was disappointing reward, so i felt, for those that had travelled.
    I went up there, from memory I believe Portsmouth held City to a draw which gave us the title
  • Options
    but SE10 i can't get my head around the fact that other clubs away/home ratio numbers wise are so much better than ours cos all clubs fans are in the same boat
    Give you that one Mr Mortimer.

West Ham have double our average.  They take 6000 to Coventry and we take 1000 to Walsall, very strange.
  • Options
    SE10 there's always excuses im sure every single person who does or doesn't go to an away game could come up with reasons why they couldnt be it money, family, other commitments, whatever. But the point is our away turnout is so much lower than other sides of comparable size. Our supporters as a whole must have as much disposable income as those of most other clubs in the country given our location / demographics etc, so unless you are suggesting that southampton or norwich or portsmouth or leicester or bristol city or birmingham's fan base includes a much higher number of singletons with no kids where our fan base has vast numbers of 40 year old parents with two toddlers biting at the kneecaps then there is no logic to it.

southampton are a prime example, a club who most would suggest are of a comparable stature and have a similar fanbase to ours. compare their away turnouts last season to ours at the end of this season, despite their distance further away from almost every club in the division, and it is a bit embarrassing. 

i got to sheffield and back for the united game for 18quid return from st panc as well by the way (first class in one direction), not a fortune i would say.
    St. Andrews in '87 for the play-off final, the most important/significant game in my time following Charlton from '76.  We take 1500 maximum and Leeds have 16000!  I really wish we had more of an away following
  • Options

Lets face facts.

Every other club in the country have better supporters than we do.

Thats the way it is we'll have to live with it.

• Options

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Proof that our support is shit

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/publications/crime/football-arrests-banning-orders/fbo-2010-11?view=Binary

even Aldershot and Mansfield had more than us

Joke ;)
  • Options

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    I don't knob about zzzzzzzz, but do you disagree then?
  • Options

Lets face facts.

I think we lost a generation of support when we were at sainsburys and west ham, that has not helped us
  • Options
    How many teams in London?

How many teams in Southampton?

Enough said.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Preston away will be our biggest I reckon, last away game in league one :)
    Weekend in Blackpool
  • Options
    How many teams in London?

How many teams in Southampton?

Enough said.

what's the population of london/kent ? what's the population of southampton , there's more to be said
  • Options
    2 teams in the Champions league in London attracts 75% of population of the support.

Then throw in all the other London teams, were proberly looking at similar numbers
  • Options
    Preston away will be our biggest I reckon, last away game in league one :)
    Weekend in Blackpool
    We've got our hotel sorted already :)
  • Options

Lets face facts.

I think we lost a generation of support when we were at sainsburys and west ham, that has not helped us
    However, the first season I started supporting and had season ticket 84/85, we had 3,000 odd at home against Wolves and Sheff Utd, horrendous home attendances let alone away! And I bet they bought a few away fans which made it worse. I went to a few away games that season, each time it appeared a core 200
    So we obviously lost a generation prior to then - have Charlton ever consistently had a big away following!!???
  • Options
    2 teams in the Champions league in London attracts 75% of population of the support.

Then throw in all the other London teams, were proberly looking at similar numbers
    Id say there's 4 big Premiership sized clubs in London, Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham and West Ham

Then there's Us, Fulham, Palace, QPR and Millwall, we have similar away support to those teams.
  • Options
    Proof that our support is shit

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/publications/crime/football-arrests-banning-orders/fbo-2010-11?view=Binary

even Aldershot and Mansfield had more than us

Joke ;)
    Check out the previous season, our stats are a lot worse :I
    http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/publications/crime/football-arrests-banning-orders/fbo-2009-10?view=Binary

• Options
    Maybe people have other/better things to do than travel to some town to watch 90 mins of football...
  • Options
    I'd love to go to more away games, but paying my debts off first is my priority. Have to make do with home games and the rare away day.
  • Options
    Maybe people have other/better things to do than travel to some town to watch 90 mins of football...

I haven't.