Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Life, Down At The Mac, Owlstalk....

Comments

• Options
    I agree with NSS and Henry that it is never over til the fat lady sings. On the other hand I think it is very instructive to listen to other clubs' fans. You get a better perspective. I agree with AFKA also that the Owlsonline poster is pretty decent, and deserves a cordial welcome.

Which is not to say we shouldn't wind him up. He has forced me to think about the Wendies and us more than I might have done. I am now pretty convinced that we will finish above them, the only thing that can stop that is if we suffer a really bad run of injuries. The reason I think that is through comparing the behaviour and  decisions of Chris Powell, and those of Mugson. Chris quietly gets on with his job, doesnt berate refs, and hands out due praise to other clubs. Mugson is full of self-regard, reminds me of Pardew in that respect. Now lets look at their decisions. Mugson took from us Jose, and Liera. I am a Jose fan, but I think he is actually a player you can  only afford in a higher division. He is a Makalele, the player who breaks up the attacks of teams with dangerous talented offensive players, leaving your own talented offensive players to set up attacks and score goals. In the Third Division this is a luxury. Far better to have Danny Hollands, a tough box-to-box player, who has already scored more this season than Jose scored his whole time with us. But Liera, well that leaves me gasping at Mugson's stupidity. Did he not notice that BIg Mig, already past 30, was never first choice even under Parky? Did he not investigate why that was? If Mugson thought Big Mig was the answer, he didn't understand the question. But Chris did. His answer was to rescue Michael Morrison from the Wendies. 

So good luck, Owlsonline; I don't believe Mandaric has got any money to spend, but even if he does, then Big Mig stands as evidence that Mugson won't spend it wisely. I predict a lot of exciting times for you rest of the season, mainly in and around your own penalty box:-)
  • Options
    Dont see the harm posting on here how deluded and ignorant their rantings come across , I find it highly amusing going on there and reading (not posting)

Some of their opinions on how maaaassssive they are and how they should steam roller every team in this league and that we especially are not contenders for this league,

They have been reminded by many on here on their frequent visits to charlton life that there are 5 or 6 teams capable of winning this league

Us

Sheffield utd

Mk

Sheffield weds

Brentford

( I thought notts county ) up until yesterday

But they don't accept it , much like we didn't last season of the one b4 it

They won't win the league they wont come 2nd , we will go up in an auto I am sure of that

I know we will strengthen in jan , not millions of quids on unrealistic targets , yet they will fit into our plans and team and we will move on again

Sheffield weds are going to buy the league and every good player in it
    Brentford are not capable of winning the league.
  • Options
    Brentford might not win these league but are good enough for an auto or will play a huge part in deciding where those postions will go

Of that I am certain
  • Options
    Brentford have a team where you wouldn't really want any of their players in place of ours, but together they are a formidable side, and it's one of the hardest places to go to and get a win. I also believe that they are capable of plodding along and minding their own business, calmly picking other sides off to get to the auto's, but even if they only scrape into the playoffs, they will be hard to beat.
  • Options
    Nothing wrong with going onto owlstalk for a read. They remind me of us last season with all the loans and how we thought we were capable of going up with that team.

Dont knock it until youve tried owlstalk. It's brilliant. Especially after defeat.

One of my favourite topics was llera. When he joined on loan. He was the rock that they need and the first name on the team sheet. After Walsall his a car crash in waiting and bambi on ice
  • Options
    I don't know why we even bother following Charlton anymore , i've been thinking about it overnight , its time for us to renew our passports , get down to Burtons and buy a cloth cap, take out a yearly subscription to Pigeons monthly , and emigrate to Sheffield to support the worlds biggest massive football club. 
  • Options
    Brentford might not win these league but are good enough for an auto or will play a huge part in deciding where those postions will go

Of that I am certain
    So they might or they might not? You said it originally after all!

Brentford are toothless in attack, they have not scored more than 2 goals in a single league game (and 2 goals is a rarity in itself for them).

They are well-drilled under Uwe Rosler and the total is greater than the sum of the parts but scraping the play-offs is the best they can achieve.

P.S. being a Charlton fan is very good right now.
  • Options
    I fail to see what anybody sees in Brentford apart from the fact that Griffin park is is tough place to play but hasn't that always been the case? Thier team are nothing special .
  • Options
    Their size pace and physicality makes it a real tough team to play against
  • Options
    Semedo is no higher division player.  He was atrocious in the championship, only a factor when Andy Reid drove the team on and we needed a player to plug the hole of three other non-tackling midfielders.  Bailey made mistakes but is far superior, and doing a much more reliable job at Boro as the holding midfielder.  Semedo was a creative void in the third tier.  I'll not attack him for effort, but there is no comparison to him Makelele, Deschamps or any other top water carrier.  Makelel was master of the destructive tackle, taking a player out the game whilst still standing himself and then pushing up the field 20-30 yards when there was space.  Semedo rarely won a clean ball, and virtually never pushed the game forward, when it opened up his mind got sucked into a vacume of offensive indecision. 

Through all this I'm glad that Megson took him away from us, contract offer or not. Bravo Semedo for effort but frankly 8,10 or 12 grand a week for a player who will never be a factor in the champ is disgraceful.  Where Wednesday end up I do not care, but thank god I can watch Danny Hollands and others rather than Semedo.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Glad you said it Colin Tat. People underestimate how good on the ball these top level water carriers are, and how bad on the ball Semedo was. 
  • Options
    Here we go !
  • Options
    well, i thought we all knew the score now.
  • Options
    We are all going to find out a lot more on January 14th.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Only sad fcukers make out they don't read other clubs forums
  • Options
    Change Brentford for Huddersfield and I'll agree with you.

As for those who claim we shouldn't gloat, how dull!
  • Options
    Change Brentford for Huddersfield and I'll agree with you.

As for those who claim we shouldn't gloat, how dull!
    Absolutely - do well, have a gloat, do bad, block it out don't log on. Anything else is taking it far too seriously or do we expect to open the front door and find a 100 sheff wed fans chanting at us if we don't go up?  
  • Options
    One of my favourite topics was llera. When he joined on loan. He was the rock that they need and the first name on the team sheet. After Walsall his a car crash in waiting and bambi on ice
    Did anyone see the winning Warsaw goal and Llera completely missing the first challenge with an 'air' header and falling on his arse ??? Hilarious! Thanks Miguel!
  • Options
    Sheffield United will come good.
  • Options
    To be honest I don't see a lot of difference between some of the opinions on their forum and some of the ones on Charlton forums especially after we'd just dropped into the Championship.
    We've had to eat a lot of humble pie and maybe some of theirs have still got that experience to come.
    Other than that I'd be inclined to just focus on the fact that its still 2011 and we haven't achieved anything yet.
    We are nicely placed and we have the players and the set-up;  but football is a funny game and if we hit a blip the whole psychology can change, doubt sets in, our less patient fans lose it and a downward spiral can get a grip.
    Cautious and restrained optimism from me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    They all seem to think that getting last season's Charlton player of the year award was actually a worthy achievement, when judging by league position it was the second worst team in our history - Semedo got it by default, as his only realistic challenger (Jacko) was injured for the last few months. 
  • Options
    This is a good read:

http://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/152361-michael-morrison-gone/
    One of them spoke sense in that thread by saying, giving mm a run in our team he will be one of the best defenders in the league
  • Options

And what's wrong with going on Owlstalk? Nothing as far as I'm concerned. I had great pleasure going on there and reading their posts after our win and their Walsall defeat. It was predictable and that's why I wanted to read what they said. Just made me feel really good. They are either as high as a kite or in the depths of depression. And I think we're entitled to milk all this good feeling at the moment after all the bad things we've been through over the past few years.

Agreed, it's a long old season and we'll have some rocky days before it's over but I do feel we have the team and management to prevail in the end. And long may it continue. :-)    

• Options

just my opinion, but i dont give a flying what ever other fans think about our team as this board is enough for me.

• Options
    you can say that again nss
  • Options
    That Morrison thread is brilliant - particularly as they've now got Big Mig!
  • Options
    RobRob
    edited December 2011

just my opinion, but i dont give a flying what ever other fans think about our team as this board is enough for me.

Yes. Your opinion :-)
  • Options
    Didn't know they sold Morrison after just 15 games , they missed a huge trick there , wouldn't trust Megson with his judgement now after that decision, the way our back 4 are playing they could all end up in the team of the year

• Options
    They are quoting on there that wet spam have had a 4million offer on Rhodes accepted , can't see it myself but would upset the apple cart in huddersfield