Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bromley Beckons for Slater and Co.

Comments

• Options

Have a good meeting, Henry.

Any chance of getting a team up for NWKA's quiz on Friday 23rd Sept ? Money being raised for CADSA's headset appeal.

• Options
    Funny enough we have done just that this morning.  With the Charlton Mastermind and the winners of the Bromley Pairs quiz will walk it if it's all Charlton questions and/or pop music.

If it's general knowledge you might just have a chance : - )
  • Options
    Funny enough we have done just that this morning.  With the Charlton Mastermind and the winners of the Bromley Pairs quiz will walk it if it's all Charlton questions and/or pop music.

If it's general knowledge you might just have a chance : - )

Honestly, Henry ? Would be great to have you there ....May be some pop music but alas no Charlton related questions.

Anyone else out there fancy bringing a team along ? Just let me know on here please and if you have any questions about the...err...questions !

• Options
    Is there a meeting Tonight.....
  • Options
    Funny you should ask as yes there is.

It's in Bromley
  • Options
    Ask if there are plans to sign a fast forward on loan.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Valley27000 you seem obsessed with signing a fast forward on loan.

It would be great if we could sign one, of course. But if they are any good, they tend to be kept by their present club and not available.
    So they are few and far between - and every club wants one!

PS: Powell did try to get Darren Bent on loan - but was told, sorry, he's not currently available.
  • Options
    Struggling to make this one, stuck in Kfc, and got a 5am trip tomorrow.
  • Options
    Just as well you made it MIA as you won the sighed shirt raffle.

Good night, good guests.

Mr Kav was very good and Mr Slater seemed to like the present we gave him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Any word on who owns us?
  • Options
    Slater and Jiminez.
  • Options
    Anyone fancy sharing what was said for those of us who couldnt make it?
  • Options
    Give Henry time to have his breakfast and first coffee of the day.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    I didn't take notes so this is only a brief summary.

AGM went well, accounts approved and all the committee re-elected.

That was it really.

Oh, you wanted to know what Slater and Kav said?  Really?

OK, if you insist.

It was a good night, 60+ people there, which is less than we normally get but considering the weather, a game the night before and England on the telly was still pretty good.

We're use to having the Chairman at Bromley (you're not a "proper" Charlton chairman/Director until you've done one of our meetings) but that was always Richard (and briefly Derek).

This felt a bit like a first date with lots of polite questions and answers while each party got a feel (it wasn't that kind of date) of each other but the more it went on the better it got.

MS and SK were both warmly clapped at the beginning to which MS said "It must be the first time a lawyer and an accountant have got a round of applause".

In no particular order.

BWP  - not a concern about extending his contract as there is an option.  SK said 99.5% sure he will be here next year.  MS didn't think it was even that low.

Powell has final say on players "Unless he asks for Christian Ronaldo" - MS.   Aware of budgets and what is possible.

Players bought were scouted and identified from Feb onwards hence able to bring in quickly.  A lot of time spent of background and character of players.  One young player from a top four team not considered as while a good player not sure about his lifestyle off the pitch.  SK said spirit at Training ground is excellent.

Potential new players get lunch at the Valley, shown around the training ground and then a two hour chat with Powell after which they all want to sign.

Big scouting networking with retained scouts has been put in place.  Players in all leagues and non-league watched.  If promising escalated up so manager will watch them.  Vetere part of this scouting.

Udinese link up "paper talk"

Benson had twisted fracture of fingers so can't push off centre halves.  could be back soon but depends on how well healed.

Alsonso very close now to being available to play. 

5 subs.  SK was at league meeting in Cyprus (he went for two days most other CEO and Chairs for two weeks!!).   Smaller clubs wanted it but 14 Championship clubs also voted for it as cost saving measure. 

Do we want another fast striker? Yes but easier said than done. Everyone wants one and they're not easy to find and then sign. 

MS very guarded on budgets.  All fees undisclosed.  Arsenal do all their business that way and so do we.  Don't want to reveal our hand.    SK and MS didn't agree with suggestion that is would be better if all clubs had to reveal transfer fees and wages.  Top line figures in accounts to show financial viability but not individual amounts.

SK - We may be seen as sometimes being last to break news on signings etc but that is because we wait till it's all signed and ink is dry.  "It's only true when it's on the OS" SK said while glancing at a certain poster on this site.

MS said ownership is with him and Jiminez, Murray and others but MS and TJ are the main owners and they are not holding shares for others or anything on those lines.

Academy big focus.  Hart "our best signing of the summer" (MS).  Hart said our academy is awesome and asked "why do you need me?"  Told because we want it to be even better.  SK very very appreciative of the money raised by Bromley Addicks for tracksuits last year and the money being raised this year by BA and CL for the Academy.  Would like it to go towards four badly needed new minibuses so get bidding on those shirts guys.

Bolton held up as a benchmark club for what we can achieve (minus the £90m debt) long term.  Brighton and Southampton have shown that promoted clubs can hold their own in Championship (MS).

MS was presented with a Charlton v Man City programme from the month he was born which he seemed quite chuffed with.  SK complained when he first came he only got a Bromley Addicks membership card.  He was joking.  I  think : - )

As always the last two questions were "will you come back again next year?"  MS "yes, as long as were on a 6 game unbeaten run" and "Where do you see the Club in five years time?"

Slightly unfair as this is the same question we've asked Richard Murray every year for 17 years until RM must be sick of it.   MS took some time and thought and you could see him ticking off the steps year by year but "premiership or very close" was the answer.

Over to the other Lifers who were there.

• Options
    Thanks H.  Good summary and good answers.  Particularly interesting the way they induct potential players.  Very professional.
  • Options
    Cheers Henry, good insight. Have seen both before and always been impressed.
  • Options
    MS very guarded on budgets.  All fees undisclosed.  Arsenal do all their business that way and so do we.  Don't want to reveal our hand.    SK and MS didn't agree with suggestion that is would be better if all clubs had to reveal transfer fees and wages.  Top line figures in accounts to show financial viability but not individual amounts.

Cheers Henry.

I find it strange that some fans think we should reveal fees and wages. I guess it's more them being nosey than anything else.
  • Options
    Whether it was due to feeling exhausted, meeting wise I found the evening a bit bland and guarded to be honest, but that is no reflection on the good work that I feel is being done.
  • Options
    Whether it was due to feeling exhausted, meeting wise I found the evening a bit bland and guarded to be honest, but that is no reflection on the good work that I feel is being done.
    it didn't help when you asked a question that has already been covered : - ) but to an extent I agree.

I wouldn't say bland but MS was/is more guarded than RM plus RM has been coming to Bromley for years and so feels more relaxed with us and we with him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    it didn't help when you asked a question that has already been covered : - ) but to an extent I agree.

I wouldn't say bland but MS was/is more guarded than RM plus RM has been coming to Bromley for years and so feels more relaxed with us and we with him.
    likely to be because RM had a long time to get to know you guys and build up a level of trust, Slater is still new to the family and will be more open with time
  • Options
    I remember when Bolton said they wanted to be like us :-(
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Thanks, Henry  ........ good reporting.

"Do we want another fast striker? Yes but easier said than done. Everyone wants one and they're not easy to find and then sign."

There's your answer, Valley27000. From the horses mouth (or should I say, the Chairman's! ).

"Players bought were scouted and identified from Feb onwards hence
    able to bring in quickly.  A lot of time spent of background and
    character of players. 
    One young player from a top four team not
    considered as while a good player not sure about his lifestyle off the
    pitch.  SK said spirit at Training ground is excellent." .
    .......exactly the way Curbs used to go about it. Even though results during the last quarter of last season were poor, it's now evident the focus was already on the rebuilding of the squad, which at the time was the worst kept secret in football.

As McLovin mentioned, "Potential new players get lunch at the Valley, shown around the training
    ground and then a two hour chat with Powell after which they all want
    to sign." ........
    very impressive way to sign players. Like the style.

• Options

Can't believe Slater intimated that we won't be signing Cristiano Ronaldo.

No ambition this lot.

• Options

Thanks so much for the summary, Henry.  Sounds like a good meeting .What an inspirational gift for MS !

Hats off to you for helping raise much needed cash for the Academy.

At NWKA, we already have a cheque for presentation to the Academy from last season, plus we aim to hold a Former Players' Q & A later in the season where profits of this event will also be donated in that direction.

Will advertise the event on here nearer the time.

• Options
    Ben you ok with the normal ? or will you do it ?
  • Options
    Ben you ok with the normal ? or will you do it ?
    don't you read your own site : - )
  • Options
    Was worried about BWPs contract so that was very interisting and good to hear.
  • Options
    Great summary, thanks Henry.
  • Options
    Interesting.  Thanks for sharing.