Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Grimsby Town

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2011

I have to say I do like Lincolnshire!  Lincs Addict do u know a place called Louth?  Its not far from Grimsby and I know a nice doris who lives there as well.  Louth has prob one of the best curry houses ive ever been to.  My advice is don't knock Lincolnshire until you've tried it.
    I know Louth well, the Capital of the Wolds. It's 15 miles down a fast and quiet main road from me.  It's hilly, quiet, full of nice houses, still an old fashioned market town with a variety of shops and bars and restaurants.  I'm not a curry eater so haven't explored any 'ethnic eateries'  ,,, please keep quiet about the delights of Lincolnshire, otherwise an influx of undesireables could turn it into yet another overpopulated, ghettoised dump, check out Peterborough for example.  What's your Doris's phone number?
  • Options
    Beckenham is hardly an urban jungle ,i cannot comment on Grimsby but I ve Been to Hull .Is Grimsby the same ?

we can also thank Grimsby for Matt tees and Rodney Green in years gone by  ,did we ever sell anyone to Grimsby ? i cant recall 

• Options
    Beckenham is hardly an urban jungle ,i cannot comment on Grimsby but I ve Been to Hull .Is Grimsby the same ?

we can also thank Grimsby for Matt tees and Rodney Green in years gone by  ,did we ever sell anyone to Grimsby ? i cant recall 

don't know but think martin pringle was on loan there when he got his injury
  • Options
    edited August 2011

Beckenham is ok with a range of houses from £2 million + mansions to council estates, pretty typical of suburban London. I was brought up and lived in Blackheath, another 'village' undergoing radical change .... my point is, Beckenham (for example) is  (i m o)  deteriorating in it's ambience

We also got Charlie Wright from Grimsby and I believe we sold Denis Booth to them  .

Hull is four times the size of Grimsby, they have in common a departed fishing industry and both are situated on the Humber. To compare Grimsby and Hull is to compare Portsmouth and Bournemouth .. for example

• Options

They sell cod in Grimsby! Wasnt a single chippy near me in Hull that did, until harpers of wetwang opened up!
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    I live in Beckenham. Now tell me of the delights of Grimsby (not that you need to as I know that toilet far too well).
    I live in Beckenham to and have to say it's to close to palarse's doorstep 

but everything else is all right and there are no gangs here maybe some chavs but no gangs
  • Options
    I live in Beckenham. Now tell me of the delights of Grimsby (not that you need to as I know that toilet far too well).
    I live in Beckenham to and have to say it's to close to palarse's doorstep 
    say no more .. posh Beckenham is rugby land, poor Beckenham is Chelsea and Palace .. and obviously a few Addicks under siege are scattered about the place
  • Options
    just 'Wikied' Denis Booth, he played for Lincoln and Hull after CAFC, not Grimsby
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    I suppose you're surrounded by other Charlton fans then....
  • Options

Charlie Wright is Scottish, albeit a Hong Kong international!

My sister lives in a village north of Lincoln. the mud there is black to dark brown. The fields are like praries, and are very flat. It is windy. It can be cold in the winter. loads of noisy aeroplanes fly about. The air is clean. There isn't much to do in a Lincolnshire village unless you have transport (there must be a lot of folk who risk driving frequently, having had one too many). The accents are odd, really hard to identify 'me duck'. The place is very good for cyclists.

I don't think Beckenham compares to Woolwich yet. Parts of beckenham make Eltham look like Thamesmead.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Have you all forgotten our best signing from Grimsby?
  • Options
    Super C? .. check page 1
  • Options
    Fair do's.
  • Options

Andy Peake you mean??!!

And a certain Super Clive...

• Options
    yep forgot about andy peake and charlie wright ....!!!

great character who had a wonderful habit of letting the ball through his legs ...would have made a fortune in this age selling his very own xmas blooper dvds

Hull seemed to be a place full of people with not much to do ,probably like a lot of cities/towns where the original industries have died and nothing substantial replaces them eg pit towns ,mill towns ,steel industries etc

• Options
    yep forgot about andy peake and charlie wright ....!!!

great character who had a wonderful habit of letting the ball through his legs ...would have made a fortune in this age selling his very own xmas blooper dvds

Hull seemed to be a place full of people with not much to do ,probably like a lot of cities/towns where the original industries have died and nothing substantial replaces them eg pit towns ,mill towns ,steel industries etc

yeah, sounds like large parts of London as well
  • Options
    I suppose you're surrounded by other Charlton fans then....
    I seem to be a gang of 1 around here, there must be other under cover Addicks about though .. come out wherever you are

Charlie Wright is Scottish, albeit a Hong Kong international!

My sister lives in a village north of Lincoln. the mud there is black to dark brown. The fields are like praries, and are very flat. It is windy. It can be cold in the winter. loads of noisy aeroplanes fly about. The air is clean. There isn't much to do in a Lincolnshire village unless you have transport (there must be a lot of folk who risk driving frequently, having had one too many). The accents are odd, really hard to identify 'me duck'. The place is very good for cyclists.

I don't think Beckenham compares to Woolwich yet. Parts of beckenham make Eltham look like Thamesmead.

Lincoln's a big county. The prarie stretches from Lincoln to Cambridge in the south and the Humber in the north, the RAF aerodromeland of WW2 fame. Oveer near the coast are the wolds, not as pretty or as exclusive as the cotswolds but a nice bit of country and close to the sea. Much of Lincolnshire and E Anglia is like Holland, agricultural and prosperous. Also remember that Hull and Grimsby became very prosperous due to fishing and food processing. A lot of the houses and infrastructure reflect that bygone era........  Charlie Wright ...... didnt he used to run a Café right near the valley? .... after his goalkeeping career that is  
  • Options
    Charlie now lives in Deal, in his son's house. Plays golf with the brother inlaw quite a bit.
  • Options
    Were Grimsby not a championship side back in the 90's?
  • Options

i think they won a play off final the day before we won "the play off final"
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    i used to visit the town as a rep in a past life and i remember going into an old dump of a pub on freeman street, for a drink with my dad that i'd dropped off in cleethorpes for the day. whilst in this pub i went up to an empty pool table with my dad for a game and out of nowhere a bloke steps out of the gloom, claiming winner stays on and he was last on! i beat said player and he looked mighty pissed off. this happened 3-4 times in a row, with him getting more and more huffy as the time passed and he put his money in the slot. i soon made it clear to my dad that we'd seen enough, to which the bloke reminded me that winner stays on. was one of them moments where you're not sure if it could kick off at any time. happy memories.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    that's how this whole post started .. Grimsby was a model club albeit up and down the divisions a bit, rather like Charlton, hospitable, played good football,  good lower league players, spent the money wisely, and had Clive Mendonca to thank for a deal of their success. A proud little(ish) club. The death of a rich fan/chairman, lack of investment, bad management choices, and a plummet of worrying proportions. I blame Russel Slade for the start of the landslide. Long before Phil Brown thought of the idea, at a game against (I think) Lincoln, 4-0 down at 1/2 time he kept the players on the pitch and brought out the blackboard and embarassed the players with an on pitch lecture . The players' reaction was an unspoken 'f*** you and your arrogance Mr Slade' and resulted in the team losing a play off final to those west country giants Cheltenham. Slade went, the good players went. in came Mike Newell who i thought would do a good job, he was another distater however, and .... here we are, a mid week slapping 5-0 from Braintree. The only way is (we hope) up. 
  • Options
    i used to visit the town as a rep in a past life and i remember going into an old dump of a pub on freeman street, for a drink with my dad that i'd dropped off in cleethorpes for the day. whilst in this pub i went up to an empty pool table with my dad for a game and out of nowhere a bloke steps out of the gloom, claiming winner stays on and he was last on! i beat said player and he looked mighty pissed off. this happened 3-4 times in a row, with him getting more and more huffy as the time passed and he put his money in the slot. i soon made it clear to my dad that we'd seen enough, to which the bloke reminded me that winner stays on. was one of them moments where you're not sure if it could kick off at any time. happy memories.
    Freeman Street, THE roughest street in town, you should see it now, what's left of it, used to be the main shopping street in town, now surpassed by a new town centre built on the old fishing wharves. 
  • Options
    It's a shame that this Super Clive T-shirt is no longer available:

http://www.codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?page=t-shirts/clive
  • Options
    It's a shame that this Super Clive T-shirt is no longer available:

http://www.codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?page=t-shirts/clive
    Try cult heroes (might be zeros) website, last time I looked they had a reasonable number of  ex Charlton players
  • Options
    Haha - class.  Well done that man.
  • Options
    How refreshing. Great to see that passion and not your typical PR. Bet the fella he's talking to probably actually appreciates it.
  • Options
    Just returned from GY ,over a £1.40 larger with the locals one thing I can determine, they hold Clive Mendonca in very very high regard.
  • Options
    Once met Lennie and his good lady in the Chinese on Keston Common. He had travelled back
    from Grimsby after the match ( he was manager ) and made his 8.30pm reservation.
    Also, my client told me she was moving to Grimsby, I asked why, and she said her husband
    was moving there. She was married to Bradley Allen I later discovered. She never told me, probably too embarrassed.