Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Grimsby Town

Comments

• Options
    I live in Beckenham. Now tell me of the delights of Grimsby (not that you need to as I know that toilet far too well).
    4 years ago I moved from Beckenham (off Southend Road if you know it)  to a nice village 5 miles from Grimsby. Beckenham is becoming a gang and crime ridden, Charity shop infested dump, a bit like the rest of London in fact. Grimsby has rough parts like most towns. It also has a fast growing London 'immigrant' population. That is people who are cheesed off living in the car exhaust 'smoke', people who want a nice house at 1/2 the price of a 2 bedroom London ex council flat and people who want friendly neighbours, clean streets and access to the countryside and the sea as well as no traffic jams and clean air.   You stay in shit house Beckenham, I'll stay in the toilet..
  • Options
    For the record, Grimsby Town have played 12 seasons in the old Division 1. They even finished 5th in that division season 1934-35 with an
    average gate of 13,706. That year we finished top of Division 3 with an average gate of 15,713.
  • Options
    which in my opinion is excellent news. Fish bummers one and all.
    Do fish have bums?
  • Options

Beckenham is becoming a gang and crime ridden, Charity shop infested dump.

I have lived in Beckenham 30 years and gang and crime ridden it ain't!  Charity shop infested is true though!

• Options
    Yeah, gang and crime ridden - its like living in Hackney at times.

All you seem to have mentioned are the benefits of living in a northern village (which I would agree with having been brought up in a northern village). That does not make Grimsby a "lovely town".
  • Options
    I think someone stole from the pick and mix in a Beckenham news agents recently, jesus wept!

Grimsby Crime Stats

Beckenham's lower in 5 out of 6 per 1000 crime statistics.
  • Options
    Yeah, gang and crime ridden - its like living in Hackney at times. All you seem to have mentioned are the benefits of living in a northern village (which I would agree with having been brought up in a northern village). That does not make Grimsby a "lovely town".
    at the end, it is a matter of opinion, I say tomater you say tomatoe, i like the place and you don't .. no more to say really
  • Options
    I prefer Grimsby. Beckenham is too 'palace' for me
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    AND .. SuperClive was a gift from Grimsby .. where would be be now if he'd refused the move????
  • Options
    edited August 2011

Beckenham is becoming a gang and crime ridden, Charity shop infested dump.

I have lived in Beckenham 30 years and gang and crime ridden it ain't!  Charity shop infested is true though!

I did say becoming .. a lad was stabbed to death in a gang fight quite recently in B'Ham, this would have been simply unheard of even 10 years ago. It happened literally yards from where I used to live. I often had to face abuse and rudeness from young gangsters in the area around the cricket and palace training grounds and up on Southend Road around the estates at the top of the hill. Beckenham, like all London boroughs has it's very up market and very down market areas, as does Grimsby/Cleethorpes
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

It's a shame to see a club with a fine tradition hit hard times.

My grandfather played and coached there during the war apparently so I've always had a soft spot for Grimsby.

• Options
    Last time we beat Grimsby A 5-2 I think on a Friday night I was there. We had a lovely deep fried mars bar & in the pub after we got told about the blood on the floor & how someone got slashed up the previous night. Got the impression that it was normal. Never exited a pub so quickly in my life.
  • Options
    AND .. SuperClive was a gift from Grimsby .. where would be be now if he'd refused the move????
    erm ? Probably where we are currently but without the PL glory years in between.
  • Options
    Last time we beat Grimsby A 5-2 I think on a Friday night I was there. We had a lovely deep fried mars bar & in the pub after we got told about the blood on the floor & how someone got slashed up the previous night. Got the impression that it was normal. Never exited a pub so quickly in my life.
    You've never had a drink in Bow or Bethnal Green then? .. that bloodstain must be passed around from pub to pub in Grimsby, was the pub called 'The Boot'? .. it's been pulled down now and replaced by a refuge for away team football fans who come under siege
  • Options
    erm ? Probably where we are currently but without the PL glory years in between.
    exactly !!
  • Options
    Just been running through tonights scores and came across Grimsby at the bottom of the conference
    They got their first point of the season on season after losing their first two games 2-0 at home to fleetwood and 5-0 away at the footballing hotbed that is Braintree

I was wondering if they drop out of the conference, has this ever happened to a former league team before?

Just a few more to add to the list.....

Workington Town

Southport

Newport County

Barrow

Accrington Stanley

Maidstone Utd

Bradford PA

• Options
    I feel sorry for Lincs fans as 3 of their clubs are now in the Coneference and even further when not long ago all 3 were league sides!
  • Options
    Grimsby has one of the best football websites:

http://www.codalmighty.com/site/ca.php
  • Options
    which in my opinion is excellent news. Fish bummers one and all.
    Do fish have bums?
    How else would they sit down?
  • Options
    Grimsby has one of the best football websites: http://www.codalmighty.com/site/ca.php
    agreed, CA is a tremendous site .. Grimsby/Cleethorpes is a very spiritual and intellectual conurbation
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    You've never had a drink in Bow or Bethnal Green then? .. that bloodstain must be passed around from pub to pub in Grimsby, was the pub called 'The Boot'? .. it's been pulled down now and replaced by a refuge for away team football fans who come under siege

Didn't stop long enough to remember the name. I know we got a train from Cleethorpes and had to change at Grimsby, so nearly had a pint in a boozer close to Grimsby station, before exiting rather quickly.

No, never drunk in Bow or Bethnal Green.

• Options
    Just spent a very enjoyable 15 mins read an article or two on Cod almighty. Reminds me of the golden days of the fanzines.
  • Options
    I live in Beckenham. Now tell me of the delights of Grimsby (not that you need to as I know that toilet far too well).
    4 years ago I moved from Beckenham (off Southend Road if you know it)  to a nice village 5 miles from Grimsby. Beckenham is becoming a gang and crime ridden, Charity shop infested dump, a bit like the rest of London in fact. Grimsby has rough parts like most towns. It also has a fast growing London 'immigrant' population. That is people who are cheesed off living in the car exhaust 'smoke', people who want a nice house at 1/2 the price of a 2 bedroom London ex council flat and people who want friendly neighbours, clean streets and access to the countryside and the sea as well as no traffic jams and clean air.   You stay in shit house Beckenham, I'll stay in the toilet..
    What utter bollocks. 
  • Options
    Just a few more to add to the list.....

Workington Town
    Southport
    Newport County
    Barrow
    Accrington Stanley
    Maidstone Utd
    Bradford PA
    Did these teams fall down through the leagues or just go out of business?
    I thought Maidstone and Accrington went broke?
  • Options
    Agreed, Rodney Beckenham is lovely! Southend Lane is borderline Beckenham anyway, it's more towards Downham/Sydenham/Catford anyway so that answers that one.
  • Options
    Hope Grimsby go under!! 4 of us got ambushed back in 91 with 2 of us staying in hospital over night!! Didn't say boo to a goose and got the shit kicked out of us!! Hated Grimsby ever since!!
  • Options
    Bloke is with a girl in the back of his car, she says "kiss me where it's wet and smelly" he says " I'm not driving all the way to Grimsby"
    - is there a less enticing way to be propositioned by a girl?
  • Options
    Bloke is with a girl in the back of his car, she says "kiss me where it's wet and smelly" he says " I'm not driving all the way to Grimsby"
    - is there a less enticing way to be propositioned by a girl?
    yes, 'handjob for a fiver?'
  • Options
    Of Creepyaddick's list, only Bradford PA and Accrington Stanley had played in the First Div. Both went bust however, and today's Stanley has
    very little to do with the previous one, a founder member of the Football League. Grimsby's situation is really unique.
  • Options
    I have to say I do like Lincolnshire!  Lincs Addict do u know a place called Louth?  Its not far from Grimsby and I know a nice doris who lives there as well.  Louth has prob one of the best curry houses ive ever been to.  My advice is don't knock Lincolnshire until you've tried it.