Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Capital Punishment.

13»

Comments

• Options
    There was a Tory MP a few year back who advocated capital punishment saying he was ok with a few innocents getting wrongly executed. I
    Sounds familiar.  Could be my numpty of an MP, Andrew Rosindell, but don't quote me on that as I haven't found confirmation,
  • Options
    No from me but the sentance for murder should be life, meaning until dead.
  • Options
    The introduction of releasing after half your sentence for good behaviour is a major floor in my eyes, people who commit crime are supposed to fear the repricusions of there actions, nowadays they don't.

Capital punishment in my opinion should be brought back for those who commit a murder, however this comes with certain circumstances, evidence etc.

Realistically I think tough sentences and sentences being served would be the first step and then maybe the introduction of the system the US have could improve things.

Crimes will always be commuted and sadly thats just the way it is. Thanks for everyones input.

Interesting to hear people views.
  • Options
    The Guardian did an article a few years ago which had some of the 'last words' of people executed in Texas. A very interesting read.

• Options
    This is a good, healthy debate, and one of those issues which perhaps should be put to a referendum IMO. Personally I'm for capital punishment, and I believe the majority are.
  • Options
    This is a good, healthy debate, and one of those issues which perhaps should be put to a referendum IMO. Personally I'm for capital punishment, and I believe the majority are.
    We're talking about state sanctioned murder. About telling kids that sometimes it's okay to take a life. 

It's not even a deterrent. Do states or countries that have the death penalty experience less murders than ones that don't? No. 

Is there any correlation between introducing the death penalty and a reduction in murders? Absolutely not.

Complete madness. Thank god it will literally never happen in this country.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    What's WM3?
    The West Memphis 3. One of the biggest miscarriages of justice in years. I would have assumed most people have followed the case as there's been loads of fundraisers for them all over the UK this summer. A judge suddenly released them all on Friday. One of whom had been on death row for 18 years for a crime he didn't commit.

The evil Arkansas state would only release them if they signed a thing saying they wouldn't sue the state for wrongful imprisonment. They would have got millions if they had done. As it they've just lost 18 years of their lives. Gutting and a further big reason why capital punishment should never even be considered. Even in the revenge-happy US more and more states are getting rid of it.

No justice in Arkansas.

Corrupt.
  • Options
    The Guardian did an article a few years ago which had some of the 'last words' of people executed in Texas. A very interesting read.

Good read that.
  • Options
    Rapists and paedos should be castrated.
    Anyone see the Execution of Gary Glitter lasy year
    A lot of people say that for his crimes, Glitter and others like him should be executed, but could you really do it?
    That said I think if it was your kids, most would kill the paedo themselves.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-execution-of-gary-glitter
  • Options
    I think there is a difference in deserving to be executed and being executed. The latter ensures you are no better than the murderers.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Clunes, can you give me the source of your stats, please? I disagrre that "it will never happen". Sanctioned killing has been going on for centuries and still happens now..........via our sanctioned wars. That's when we tell our kids it's ok to invade someonoe else's country and murder a few people. High horse.....get off.
  • Options
    Clunes, can you give me the source of your stats, please? I disagrre that "it will never happen". Sanctioned killing has been going on for centuries and still happens now..........via our sanctioned wars. That's when we tell our kids it's ok to invade someonoe else's country and murder a few people. High horse.....get off.

Hes not wearing protection with that one ;)
  • Options
    Take your pick? 

A survey sent out in 2009 asking 77 top criminologists in the States whether, given their understanding of all the empirical evidence available on the subject, the death penalty reduces crime. 87% said it doesn't. And that's not all they said.

And here, a much more detailed look at the evidence available.

And I say it will never happen because as the guy says in the article, the trends have been towards abolition. And the trend in abolition of the death penalty has not resulted in an increase in murder rates. Not to mention the lobbying strength of Liberty, Amnesty etc.. It will just never happen. Sorry if that sounds arrogant, but I truly believe that. That's the opposite movement of a progressive society.

I mean really, if you do still believe that the death penalty is a deterrent (and in the face of all the evidence I don't see how you could), under what circumstances would it be introduced in this country? Can you honestly see the Conservatives, Lib Dems or Labour calling a vote on it? Especially whilst they've all been lobbying China to cut back on its executions?

• Options
    Which is why the public can not be trusted with some decisions.
  • Options
    Which is why the public can not be trusted with some decisions.

Just to re-iterate this point. The States in the US that have the death sentence still have higher murder rates (per capita) than the States that don't have it. In Texas the appeal policy has been cut back as far as possible and a death sentence invariably means just that. Yet they still have a higher murder rate than any State where it has been abolished:

http://blog.amnestyusa.org/deathpenalty/us-homicide-rates-and-the-death-penalty/

• Options

I'm personally against State Murder. The issue of prison sentences being served in full, including life, is a different subject.

That said the UK could not bring back capital punishment whilst remaining in the EU even if it wanted to so the debate is academic really.

• Options
    edited August 2011

reminds me of the man who asked to sing a song before he was to be hung .. OK, said the warden, hurry up and get it over with .... 'one trillion green bottles hanging on the wall' sang the prisoner ... please excuse the levity
  • Options
    Seems to me that we're supposed to live in a civilised society, and the people who do not live within the parameters of such a society need to be dealt with by those who do. To say the civilised should electrocute the sick-minded until they die...well, to me that kinda misses the point. The likes of Huntley and co., locked up in prisons within prisons.. I just don't think it's the Centr Parcs that prison is often compared to.

Anyway, I'm glad CL is so...civilised.