Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Capital Punishment.

Comments

• Options
    I don't think this is a sick thread, after the recent events there's probably a lot of people who want to bring it back. Keep the thread going so that they understand why we shouldn't bring it back!
  • Options
    No.
    I could not kill a person in cold blood but that is what you do when you have capital punishment.
    Its not right to ask someone else to do this act when most of us wouldnt or cant.

• Options
    edited August 2011
    Punishment to fit crime

If someone hurt your kids or scum like huntley and whitting, hindlley brady,wests all should die at the hands of those who suffer theft most,

The families of the poor innocent children
  • Options

Categorical no.

• Options
    On the subject of life in prison I don't think it's as easy as some people think. However, a mate was a politician years ago and went on a prison visit - he met a very old guy in there for murder and asked him what it was like he said "If I'd known it was like this I'd have killed the b*tch years ago"!
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    No 'legalised murder'.  Awful regimes such as China and Iran have the death penalty and we do not want to be like them. Many murders are committed in fits of passion and loss of reason by people who have never offended in the past and will never offend again. Prison sentences for violent offenders should be longer and harsher however and drug dealers should get an automatic ten year minimum, as should peadophiles, those pimping young women and professional gangsters. Much more use should be made of deportation. F*** the EEC, if ANY foreigner is found guilty of ANY crime he/she should be deported along with his/her dependants. 
  • Options
    No 'legalised murder'.  Awful regimes such as China and Iran have the death penalty and we do not want to be like them. Many murders are committed in fits of passion and loss of reason by people who have never offended in the past and will never offend again. Prison sentences for violent offenders should be longer and harsher however and drug dealers should get an automatic ten year minimum, as should peadophiles, those pimping young women and professional gangsters. Much more use should be made of deportation. F*** the EEC, if ANY foreigner is found guilty of ANY crime he/she should be deported along with his/her dependants. 

I have a lot of sympathy for this view.
  • Options
    70%  want it brought back-----we are in a democracy so therefore it should.

I just dont believe that the State has the right to take life.

There is no doubt that there scum walk amongst us who dont deserve to live.

• Options
    No never.  Too many wrong convictions in the past and taking a life for taking a life isn't morally right.
  • Options
    The idea of the thread was for it to make people think, discuss, debate. It's why we love Charlton life!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    . Many murders are committed in fits of passion and loss of reason by people who have never offended in the past and will never offend again. 
    But what you describe there is manslaughter, not murder. 2 completely different crimes with different punishments. Murder is premeditated. Not sure if any country has the death penalty for manslaughter???

This is not to say I agree with it at all, because I don't.
  • Options
    Why was this thread started on the day it was.

Only reason I can think of is the WM3 being released.

Surely that is the best argument AGAINST capital punishment in a generation?
  • Options

What's WM3?
  • Options
    i went to a Miscarriages of Justice Organisation (MOJO) talk with Paddy Hill - Birmingham 6 (In the name of the father' - great film) and talked to him a bit and aside of his guilt, a lengthy sentence is a proper punishment. he was in prison 20 odd years and he never got to see his kids grow up, his marriage was over. he lost everything and the world moved on without him in it. nothing can buy back that lost time in someones life. I believe that life should mean life for heinous crimes. but not the death penalty.

i was humbled to read the article about the woman blinded and disfigured, that fought for the right to throw acid in the face of her attacker, then had the humility to not go through with it at last minute, and they had invited her to give the death penalty which she didnt want. she wanted a fitting punishment. for some death isnt punishment its a way out.
  • Options

100% DNA proof?

Doesn't exist. Only accurate to 1 in 3 billion or something like that so already there is someone else on the planet that our DNA practices couldnt distinguish from you or I.

... at least we don't have to worry about the state manipulating evidence...

• Options
    Rapists and paedos should be castrated.
  • Options
    I wouldn't like to put my mortgage on every convicted rapist being guilty.
  • Options
    Definitely no for all the reasons stated. 

I'm torn between whether to focus on rehabilitation in prison or whether to make it a horrendous experience.  In his book Frank Abagnale (the 'Catch me if you Can' guy) talks about being locked away in solitary in a French prison, swimming in rats and his own effluent and how that was a major factor in him changing the course of his life.  Not saying we should allow any human to wallow in his own sh*t but prison isn't working as it is. I wonder if the solitary thing is the worst of all. 

Probably rehabilitation...
  • Options

Maybe for video proof or something where you can see them committing the crime so basically 100% proof but think they should serve 20 years in prison first and then get killed once their sentence is finished. If someone asked me if I would rather spend the rest of my life in prison or be killed I'd say just kill me now. Easier option,

• Options
    Not sure what the answer to the problems that society has with crime and just general poor behaviour is. My feeling is that until we address adequate parenting and education and can instil some basic levels of respect back into our society I don't see things changing for the better any time soon.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What's WM3?
    The West Memphis 3. One of the biggest miscarriages of justice in years. I would have assumed most people have followed the case as there's been loads of fundraisers for them all over the UK this summer. A judge suddenly released them all on Friday. One of whom had been on death row for 18 years for a crime he didn't commit. The evil Arkansas state would only release them if they signed a thing saying they wouldn't sue the state for wrongful imprisonment. They would have got millions if they had done. As it they've just lost 18 years of their lives. Gutting and a further big reason why capital punishment should never even be considered. Even in the revenge-happy US more and more states are getting rid of it.
  • Options

100% DNA proof?

Doesn't exist. Only accurate to 1 in 3 billion or something like that so already there is someone else on the planet that our DNA practices couldnt distinguish from you or I.

Add to that the facts that genetic changes tend to develop within localised areas and that humans aren't as nomadic as you might think, if there's someone with the same profile as you it's more likely that they will be living relatively close by rather than on the other side of the world. 
  • Options
    I will settle for intelligent sentencing thanks, in other words 10 years equals 10 years not 5. For the recent thieves and mindless arsonists, bring back the birch. Nobody ever goes back for the birch !
  • Options
    Spot on SHG, if only Cameron understood that you have to start kids on the right road from early days. In my opinion I would also have a 10 year plan to knock down those high rise flats, and start disposing of the gang culture. Dealing with things only at the flash point merely covers the real problems over.
  • Options

100% DNA proof?

Add to that the facts that genetic changes tend to develop within localised areas and that humans aren't as nomadic as you might think, if there's someone with the same profile as you it's more likely that they will be living relatively close by rather than on the other side of the world. 
    And the fact that the '1 in 3 billion' figure is invented by statisticians, with input only from those with a vested interest in seeing their 'evidence' technique accepted as the de-facto standard (see Propfessor Roy Meadow for a fantastic example of exactly why these bullshit 'statistics' are inherently, and incredibly dangerous)
  • Options

Nice thought, but read it in the paper so threw it out there.
  • Options
    . Many murders are committed in fits of passion and loss of reason by people who have never offended in the past and will never offend again. 
    But what you describe there is manslaughter, not murder. 2 completely different crimes with different punishments. Murder is premeditated. Not sure if any country has the death penalty for manslaughter???

This is not to say I agree with it at all, because I don't.
    No, if you were to hit someone with the intention of causing GHB, not necessarily with the intent to kill them, and they die, that is common law murder. You mention premeditation, that is US law where premeditated = Murder 1 (murder in the first degree) and the more 'accidental' murders are called murder in the second or third degree. There is only one degree of murder in England. Manslaughter comes into effect if the prosecution decide not to prosecute for murder or if the intention to commit GBH was not present at the time death was caused. 
  • Options
    If life meant life then its a much harsh sentance than death.
  • Options
    There was a Tory MP a few year back who advocated capital punishment saying he was ok with a few innocents getting wrongly executed. I remember this shocking a few at the time but his postion was the only position you can take if you support capital punishment as history has shown that innocent people  do get found guilty of murder every now and again! There is that postion or being against it (as I am). There is no position where you can say you support it but only for the 100% guilty, because innocent people will ultimately be executed (won't be many but one is too many in my book).
  • Options

I don't agree in any way with capital punishment. But....

Surely the Mephis 3 is not an argument against it as none of the convicted were actually put to death.