Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Capital Punishment.

edited August 2011 in Not Sports Related
Will this really get serious consideration?

Want to see this for Murders with obviously concrete evidence.

Lifers views please.

Comments

• No. Never take what you can't give back.  There have been too many instances of wrongful convictions, with alleged "concrete proof",  for this ever to be a serious suggestion.
  • No. Never take what you can't give back.  There have been too many instances of wrongful convictions, with alleged "concrete proof",  for this ever to be a serious suggestion.
    Agree.

Bad topic for discussion IMO
  • 100% DNA proof?

• Only if the convicted is called Pardew, otherwise no.
  • Definitely not.  
  • Bring it back!
  • I dont think it sud be used...however i believe murderers should get life inprisonment....abd by that i mean they are NEVER released, rather than walking free ten years later
  • Should prison not be a lot tougher?
  • And yes prison should be tougher...however without mental stimulation that tvs and computers provide, they would go crazy and probably come out more dangerous than when they came in.
  • Sponsored links:

• No

And you wonder why we have one of the highest rate of reoffenders in Europe.
  • Im in favour. If it was a member of my family who'd been killed i wud want it, so i have to keep that view throughout.
  • Im in favour. If it was a member of my family who'd been killed i wud want it, so i have to keep that view throughout.

Sorry but you've just highlighted the reason it shouldn't be brought in , the law is "reason without passion" saying you'd change the law based on your own personal circumstances, no matter how tragic, deprives consistency. Only barbarians take lives, we haven't reached that stage as a country and almost every other "developed" nation recognises it's a pretty inefficient way of dealing with crime.
  • I'm a yes man. Or make life mean life and make it tougher inside too. 
  • No

Prison isn't a deterrent. Some people are prepared to lose their lives in order to commit their crime. A big no for me. There are other things we should be looking at.
  • Point taken about the law. I was trying to justify my opinion overall by putting a personal slant on it. Im an eye for an eye bloke, and not with any religious reason attached to it.
  • Anybody know the murder rates for countries that have the death penalties? I suppose they will be really low?
  • No

What are you on about?
  • edited August 2011

• Joke question. From joke papers. From joke minds. Obviously no.
  • Sponsored links:

• Got to be one of the oddest threads on here. And even stranger is that this topic wasn't started by goonerhater.

Peace and love. Night.
  • 100% DNA proof?

Think you'll find that DNA proof can be manipulated and planted easier than people think.

It's a definate no from me.
  • Countries with the death penalty have higher murder rates than countries without. Capital punishment = murder. Assume this thread is a sick joke. Good to see almost everyone is saying the same and treating this idea as the sick joke it is, presumably when the mods wake up they will delete. More importantly: COYR v Scunthorpe.
  • edited August 2011
    Absolutely no, for anyone interested in campaigning against the death penalty look at the charity reprieve at www.reprieve.org.uk

Of course the other side of the coin is what if one of your family was the innocent person executed in error by the state? 

So, as much as at times, in anger I may say "they should hang that b*****d", the rational, logical brain we have been gifted [except GH of course ;-)] says it is wrong when looked at in the cold light of day.   

•  

No

Gandhi once said 'an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind'.

• edited August 2011
    If prison sentences reflected the crime, we would not need this debate - we too often see 4 years for rape and suchlike, which usually means only half of that term. Offenders are too often out early to re-offend. Category 1 offences should mean 'lifelong' imprisonment opposed to 'life', which means something totally different. Prisons should not be like hotels, but that's another debate! 4.0 today!
  • If prison sentences reflected the crime, we would not need this debate - we too often see 4 years for rape and suchlike, which usually means only half of that term. Offenders are too often out early to re-offend. Category 1 offences should mean 'lifelong' imprisonment opposed to 'life', which means something totally different. Prisons should not be like hotels, but that's another debate! 4.0 today!

Not sure that extreme prison sentences are the answer either. Only have to look at the good old US of A to see that metaphorically throwing the key away is no deterrent.
  • Absolutely no on a number of levels.

1, as said above, never take what you can't give back - life

2, true life imprisonment is more of a punishment than the death penalty