Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Francis and McOxo (McOxo left by mutual consent)

Comments

• Options
    for Gibson .. read Gibbs and add Owen to the list when he was at Newcastle.
  • Options
    don't ya think the pair of them would bugger off, knowing their not wanted?
  • Options
    Well, lets not hound Francis out til we can find a replacement, eh? No matter how highly you rate Solly, he aint gonna get it done on his own.
  • Options
    If anyone has bought The Times today, check out Tony Casscarino's column in the Sports section. He mentions Curbishley as a model manager when it came to contract negotiation. That is, Curbs always tried to get players on a low basic with a big element for appearances and/or performance. He makes the comments in the context of sick note players but the principle applies I think to any new player signing a contract and avoids the Bogarde/Dyer/Gibson fiascos regarding injuries and also  the McCormack/Francis type of problem where overpaid mediocre players are better off sitting out a contract rather than accepting employment elsewhere where they would have better prospects of 1st team football.

Curbs was a good manager wasn't he?

It's a shame some didn't think so whilst he was still at the club.

• Options
    Francis staying is a result IMO, Mc Cormack - I am happy to see go. It's a shame Francis missed the Spain trip over this but he can reintegrate. I would like to see him in a confident better side, which is what we will be.

As for the teh way this was handled- the club were 100% right to confirm - Bounemouth confirmed anyway. I think Francis ws willing to take a cut but not the cut he would have had to take. He'll know that he is better off playing with us and convincing everybody he has what it takes- there can be no better incentive and again, good news for us I think.
  • Options
    He's rejected one offer. That doesn't mean he is now staying.

I expect both will be gone by September, even if it's only a half season loan.
  • Options
    If anyone has bought The Times today, check out Tony Casscarino's column in the Sports section. He mentions Curbishley as a model manager when it came to contract negotiation. That is, Curbs always tried to get players on a low basic with a big element for appearances and/or performance. He makes the comments in the context of sick note players but the principle applies I think to any new player signing a contract and avoids the Bogarde/Dyer/Gibson fiascos regarding injuries and also  the McCormack/Francis type of problem where overpaid mediocre players are better off sitting out a contract rather than accepting employment elsewhere where they would have better prospects of 1st team football.

Curbs was a good manager wasn't he?

It's a shame some didn't think so whilst he was still at the club.

Best Charlton manager ever and as the song says: 'You don't know what you've got 'til it's gone'
  • Options
    How on earth is AC still not back in management ? What a freaking waste.
  • Options
    How on earth is AC still not back in management ? What a freaking waste.
    Most underated manager by other teams! he must be. Would do wonders 
  • Options
    Richard Cawley .... McCormack - Bradford and Walsall are interested
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I could be wrong, but I can't see him wanting to move to either of those places.
  • Options
    I could be wrong, but I can't see him wanting to move to either of those places.

Then he'd better accept D&R's offer.
  • Options

If he does not go D&R then he needs to be totally clear of his role and then nail it in training/reserves - he can do a job in League 1/2, if given clear direction from CP IMHO.  I'd say (from watching him) that potentially his best role is breaking up attacks and passing it square.  I know this sounds ridiculous to some, as he has perhaps not particularly proven that he can do that last season (i.e. as some say "he shirks challenges" etc.), but I don't see him as a box to box or particularly technical/creative/visionary midfielder etc.  I reckon CP could inspire him to be a breaker.  And whose to say, with a bit of confidence, he could not go on to do more.

And for those who say he is the worse CAFC player in 20 years - he probably is, but CAFC are in one of their worst positions for the last 20 years etc. etc.

Francis' asset is his crossing.  I worry about him giving the ball away in defensive positions within a CP "passing" team.

• Options
    edited July 2011

I'd say (from watching him) that potentially his best role is breaking up attacks and passing it square.

I'd say his best role roll has a burger in the middle of it with some onion rings and relish. ;-)
  • Options
    Something tells me that we are paying him too much and that he'll be spending some time "rotting in the reserves" as they say.  I bet no-one's going to offer him a deal like he's got with us.

http://www.southendunited-mad.co.uk/feat/edy4/former_shrimper_francis_stays_at_charlton_after_bournemouth_deal_falls_through_687676/index.shtml?

• Options
    Both Francis and McCormack will go with us sweetening the package to enable them to do so, some sort of contract settlement so that they not lose out in the move. We still save money on the wages of two players who have little or no part to play whilst neither player loses out financially. It is clear to both they are not wanted by CP and it is in everyone's best interests for them to move on and they will.
  • Options
    Both Francis and McCormack will go with us sweetening the package to enable them to do so, some sort of contract settlement so that they not lose out in the move. We still save money on the wages of two players who have little or no part to play whilst neither player loses out financially. It is clear to both they are not wanted by CP and it is in everyone's best interests for them to move on and they will.
    This
  • Options

I'd say (from watching him) that potentially his best role is breaking up attacks and passing it square.

I'd say his best role roll has a burger in the middle of it with some onion rings and relish. ;-)
    Preferably served up the Oxo tower?
  • Options
    Have heard from a Palace mate that they are in talks with Francis. Has anybody heard this rumour too or is this too hopeful?
  • Options

I saw the Francis to Palace rumour on Football Rumours but dismissed it as a wind up .

Thinking connections though Freedman did play with Franny at Southend and Palace will need a Right Back when Clyne is sold.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Thats what i thought about the Freedman connection. Cheers

• Options
    Wouldn't it be shit if he went there and done well though?
  • Options
    That would be just our luck. Would hope that he would be another Darren Pitcher.
  • Options
    good ol rich crawley is saying swindon will sign mcoxo. 

http://www.southlondon-today.co.uk/sport.cfm?id=26967&headline=Exclusive:%20Swindon%20land%20Charlton's%20Alan%20McCormack

Good luck and thanks for the memories Alan.
  • Options
    also, rob elliot asked him what's going on with mcoxo on twitter to a reply ( i'll tell you today)
    seems to see he's gone.
  • Options
    BBC reporting Mcoxo to Swindon also.
  • Options

I'd be very surprised if that move didn't happen. A move to a decent Southern club in a League below.

I think Swindon is a good club for him.

• Options
    BBC reporting Mcoxo to Swindon also.

Typical! I put a bet on them for the title. That's just knackered that one.
  • Options
    Swindon? That's too good to be true. Maybe after that performance at The Valley they were under the impression he already played for them. Maybe he's been a double agent all along. It would explain his performances..