Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

jogging

123457»

Comments

• Options
    I've been trying to get into running but find it hard to put a routine together at the moment.

I play football on a tuesday and after that my legs are shattered until at least friday!

For some reason I have unusually large calfs which are tending to cramp a lot. I'm making sure I drink lots before and balance my diet before exercise, but still getting cramps. Any ideas?
  • Options
    i bloody hate running.

Id rather do an evil spin class than run anywhere.  Hate it.
    same as, do squash and 7 a side instead, both badly though!
  • Options

Anybody else started their training towards London this week?

Bloody windy week to start!

• Options
    thinking about playing vets football next year following a couple of years off due to injury. Currently 15 and a half stone, looking to get down to about 14 by August - bike riding, football, circuit training and less food are my weapons.
  • Options

Yea I have. No beers or bad food and running virtually every day until April now
  • Options
    I've been trying to get into running but find it hard to put a routine together at the moment. I play football on a tuesday and after that my legs are shattered until at least friday! For some reason I have unusually large calfs which are tending to cramp a lot. I'm making sure I drink lots before and balance my diet before exercise, but still getting cramps. Any ideas?

after exercise try doing some calf & soleus stretches and having a sports drink

• Options

started the week leading up to Christmas (since away last week) but stepped up too much and now have some new injuries to add to the old ones!  As a result can't do half as much as I'd planned at present. 
  • Options

This time last year I was training for my first and only Marathon in the snow, bloody horrible.

Much prefer my nice warm gym to work off the Christmas booze

• Options
    Had some physio at blankheath hospital tonight and just running 6k at the moment. Gonna step it up next week.
  • Options
    Time to bump an old thread.

Those that know me will be fully aware I am not exactly a lean mean fighting machine and since coming to China it has got even worse. Those Chinese take-a-ways that should be avoided, that's pretty much what I've been eating every day for the last 8 months and my weight is getting out of control, this is made even worse by the fact most Chinese people are very, very healthy. Getting questioned about why I'm so fat on an almost daily basis has become a little tedious.

So I've bit the bullet and shelled out 500元 on a 6 month gym membership, went for the first time yesterday and did 3km on the treadmill and 2km on a cross-trainer, got up early and went and did another 3km on the treadmill before work this morning.

I know this is probably not enough to really start shifting any weight, so my question is; what would be enough? I plan on doing work on the treadmill, cross trainer and bikes, along with a little weight lifting. I'm hoping to have lost a decent amount of gut by the time I leave Yangzhou for a new city in China come the end of September.

I'm also slightly worried about everyone’s concern about having the right footwear, I struggle to find any trainers in my size out here, let alone managing to find some proper running trainers.

Is this possible? Or am I expecting a little too much?

I've done a fair bit of reading on the internet and it all seems so conflicting, so I have no idea if I should be going everyday, or 3 times a week but doing more each time.

Sitting at my desk now and my legs feel like jelly.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stu, try the rowing machine. Set yourself a time target, say 20 mins to start, use the time per 500m setting and target say 2.15 and gradually reduce. Then go for 30 mins then 40. Great kit for anyone overweight as your weight is supported. Try to get coaching or make sure you are leaning past 90 degrees by halfway through stroke. Don't bend arms until legs used up.
  • Options
    Sent you a pm Stu
  • Options
    Stu, try the rowing machine. Set yourself a time target, say 20 mins to start, use the time per 500m setting and target say 2.15 and gradually reduce. Then go for 30 mins then 40. Great kit for anyone overweight as your weight is supported. Try to get coaching or make sure you are leaning past 90 degrees by halfway through stroke. Don't bend arms until legs used up.
    The coaching is my exact problem, staff at the gym speak very little English, my Chinese is not great.

• Options
    The only way to run is with a ball and ten other guys. It's called football.
  • Options
    Oop... I almost forgot. I won't be able to make it fellas. Veronica and I trying this new fad called uh, jogging. I believe it's jogging or yogging. it might be a soft j. I'm not sure but apparently you just run for an extended period of time. It's supposed to be wild. :)
  • Options
    The only way to run is with a ball and ten other guys. It's called football.
    I could run all day when it involves a ball, bur any other type of running I just find tedious. Dunno how people do it
  • Options
    Stu, how is it going ? you slacked off yet ?

This morning set myself a 29-day challenge to lose a stone. Two reasons:

1. Went on a stag do last week, 19 fellas. Looked around and i was the only overweight one out of 19. Years ago i would have been the fittist out of 19, now i'm in the worst shape.
    2. I literally have no more clothes that fit me

So the challenge is on. If anyone wants to have a 1 month % weightloss challenge as a bit of an incentive, give me a shout.
  • Options
    Stu, There are lots of websites that give you data on how many calories can be shed based on certain exercises/ sports and durations. If you are exercising off more calories than you are eating - websites will also tell you how many calories are in what food, then you will lose weight. Basically, move more, eat less. I shifted a stone in about 6/7 weeks just by cutting out snacking and cycling to work (32 miles there and back) 1 extra day a week. Can't stand gyms but each to there own - for me, torturing myself on the tedious things ata gym would never be sustainable, which is key.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Personally think the treadmill is the best way to shift calories/weight. I'm on the treadmill 3 times a week and jog outside twice. Not that I need to lose weight, but I reckon the cross trainer takes too long to work up a sweat.
  • Options
    agreed, jogging is most effective way of losing weight.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2012
    <
  • Options
    It's going well, got some great advise from RCT (Cheers) via email. Sadly about 70% of the stuff for the diet isnt available over here.

So I've tried to just cut down on what I'm eating, trying to have a breakfast, lighter lunch and not stuff myself everynight at dinner.

The gym is going well, doing around 5k HIIT every other day bringing the time down. Doing some weight work on the days inbetween.

Sadly I went to Nanjing on sunday drank shitloads of alcohol and ate like crazy. Then followed that off by slacking off today :-(

• Options
    Nice one mate keep it up. Dont beat yourself up for having a day a week of eating/drinking what you like. Just work harder when you hit the gym next ;-)
  • Options
    If anyone is interested, The CATS (Cure & Action for Tay-Sachs) Foundation are looking for someone different to run a 10k every day for a year.

There's no pressure to raise sponsorship, you pay £10 to cover the cost of the vest and towards the charity, and run it where you want. The idea is to wear the vest, raise awareness, and also raise money.

cats-foundation.org/blogs/introducing-the-cats-10k-challenge/