Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

jogging

Comments

• Options
    It might only be ten minutes a time, but you work so hard during it and get massive gains. I got that drill from a magazine (Muscle & Fitness, I think) and it helps so much. I hate boring one hour long runs , so getting the same gains in ten minutes is brilliant for me.

Yeah I am only 17 and do a lot of sport, so I'm in pretty good condition. Probably not the best for someone out of shape! For anyone out of shape, I reccommend just doing as much as you can. If you can run for 20 mins, do it. If you can only walk for 20 mins, do it. Just try and do as much as you can. Don't over-do it as you're more likely to be too tired after it and aren't likely to try again the next day.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    stop shouting - 4 in 4 weeks is some going - well done! Definitely would take the opportunity now to take the training down a notch a couple of weeks so you can recover - interesting comment from guiness as my preferred socks are thicker and I wore in the marathon and got blister under toe-nail (next to big toe) - nail came off a few days later. Crazy addick that's a great time - which suggests with plenty of training you could target a sub-3:40 marathon.
    I had to take 16 weeks off running due to injuries (ITBS mainly) back into training now and coping with the injuries - have done a couple of half marathons in the last fortnight around the 1:30 mark, not PBs but pleased - need to ease up for a week or two and then start thinking about pre-marathon-training training.
  • Options

Races starting up again here after summer.  First 5K in a couple of weeks, looking to break thru the 20 min barrier.  Should be ok but depends on weather.  Running in heat/high humidity is never fun.  We have a pretty varied set of races (track/road/cross country available here).  Most are hilly.  Given heat & terain, if your PB has been set here, it usually means you've only ran that distance here!   Usually stick to 5K to half marathons distance though.  That said I'm targeting NY 2012 as my first 26.2.  Half PB is 1:35, which was part of a w/e series ran (10K day before plus a mile night before that), so on that basis I know I can go faster. 

Check out this race time predictor.  You can use any distance to predict another distance or check progress.  However, obviously better to use similar type races for predictions.  Plug in a half marathon time to get a 26.2 prediction, not a 1 mile time!! 

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/general/rws-race-time-predictor/1681.html

• Options
    Like that link Bermuda_Red. I've just signed up for the Vancouver fall classic half marathon in around 6 weeks. Will be my 3rd half marathon... setting myself a realistic target of getting down to around 1h 34.... would love to get under 1h 30, we'll see. One of my buddies here at work runs half marathons in 1h 15m (insane!!). He's going to set me up with a training plan to try and get sub 1h 30.

Fallen in love with running now. - first time I've really started taken it seriously.

Anyone who's looking at taking it up, my advice is to sign up for a race of some sort in say 6 weeks. Helps massively to motivate yourself to get out. I'm lucky to live in the mountains so it's a stunning place to run, scenery wise. Although I start a 6 month job on a cruise ship in December, so could get quite boring running around the ship!!!

• Options
    I like running non-stop up Shooters Hill from both the Woolwich and Welling ends. The feeling of achievement when you reach the Water Tower is unmatched. Doesn't take too long, keeps you fit and means you can eat what you like for the rest of the day.
  • Options
    I like running non-stop up Shooters Hill from both the Woolwich and Welling ends. The feeling of achievement when you reach the Water Tower is unmatched. Doesn't take too long, keeps you fit and means you can eat what you like for the rest of the day.
    You should try going from Plumstead Common via Plum Lane,
  • Options
    stop shouting - 4 in 4 weeks is some going - well done! Definitely would take the opportunity now to take the training down a notch a couple of weeks so you can recover - interesting comment from guiness as my preferred socks are thicker and I wore in the marathon and got blister under toe-nail (next to big toe) - nail came off a few days later. Crazy addick that's a great time - which suggests with plenty of training you could target a sub-3:40 marathon.
    I had to take 16 weeks off running due to injuries (ITBS mainly) back into training now and coping with the injuries - have done a couple of half marathons in the last fortnight around the 1:30 mark, not PBs but pleased - need to ease up for a week or two and then start thinking about pre-marathon-training training.
    Found out yesterday that the charity I wanted to run for in the marathon, have chosen five other candidates. Gutted but was tipped off about the Paris marathon. Went on their website & they allocate places on a first come first served basis. There were 15,000 left so I paid my 95 euro subscription & I'm in. Easy as that. it's the week before London so all my training won't have gone to waste.
  • Options

Races starting up again here after summer.  First 5K in a couple of weeks, looking to break thru the 20 min barrier.  Should be ok but depends on weather.  Running in heat/high humidity is never fun.  We have a pretty varied set of races (track/road/cross country available here).  Most are hilly.  Given heat & terain, if your PB has been set here, it usually means you've only ran that distance here!   Usually stick to 5K to half marathons distance though.  That said I'm targeting NY 2012 as my first 26.2.  Half PB is 1:35, which was part of a w/e series ran (10K day before plus a mile night before that), so on that basis I know I can go faster. 

I try to get out for a run wherever I go on my hols. Once went for a run in Barbados, around the Sandy Lane's golf course and the hills above it.

Taking account of the weather I thought I'd be clever and get an early start so was on the road by 6:00am. By 6:05 I was a sweaty mess by the side of the road...jeepers never experienced humidity like it and doubt your neck of the woods is any different so respect to you for those times! I fear my days of sub 1:40 halfs are long gone and happy these days just to get around.

Anyone doing the Great South in a couple of weeks?

• Options

I try to get out for a run wherever I go on my hols. Once went for a run in Barbados, around the Sandy Lane's golf course and the hills above it.

Taking account of the weather I thought I'd be clever and get an early start so was on the road by 6:00am. By 6:05 I was a sweaty mess by the side of the road...jeepers never experienced humidity like it and doubt your neck of the woods is any different so respect to you for those times! I fear my days of sub 1:40 halfs are long gone and happy these days just to get around.

Anyone doing the Great South in a couple of weeks?

Cut mileage in summer as there are few races.  Just have to slow down and run longer/earlier in day in summer, I usually go out and place water along route. We do have more defined seasons here being quite a bit further north of Caribean, so it's cooling down now, humidity drops etc.  Hence timing of running season (Oct-May).  So can't take credit for running 1:35 half in sweltering heat...it was mid 60's, almost perfect conditions.

Barbados is hot all year round, the difference there in heat is hot or very hot. 

• Options

I got turned down by Barnardos but somone on clf recommended Whizz Kidz to me in February and I got a place at London through them - commit to raise £1600 for them, but if you don't you just lose your £100 deposit - I got about 2k (with gift aid) and let them kleep the deposit anyway.

So if anyone else thinking of London 2012 marathon I'd recommend checking out Whizz Kidz - and you don't need to fret too much if £1600 seems almost as daunting as 26.2 miles!

• Sponsored links:

• Options

got bored running along the river so i have been doing a bit of cross country style running, been off all this week so i have been out everyday, really pushed itr today, going 7 miles through woods, golf course, paths and country houses, took 1,5 hrs to complete (soiunds long) but 5 months ago i wouldnt have been able to do it at all, feel fantastic right now real sense of achievement but feck me did i underestimate the difference hills, logs and roots make to your pace,

cant wait for 2moz going to go again and try and beat the time

• Options
    Had my first go at "hill runs" yesterday to try and bring down my half marathon time by November 20th.... in a world of pain this morning.

NLA - do a load of trail running over here. So much more fun than regular road running.
  • Options
    Running a 10k for macmillan next may with my daughter and am on target to do sub 1 hour so i am quite a plodder by some standards
    are lifers allowed to ask fellow lifers for sponsorship as any pledges a] wd be very welocme and b] serve to make me do it !
    Running a good solitary form of exercise but nice to combine with gym work and team sports in my view but it does improve the ol sense of self worth and achievement
  • Options
    It has made me review my ipod , put a lot more high tempo music on it

Cross country is the way to go great sense of at one with nature aswell
  • Options
    Cross country is the way to go great sense of at one with nature aswell

Spot on, nla.

My serious marathon running days are well behind me now, although I can still chug along a bit, but I recall making the transition from roads to tracks and would never go back.  I went from road marathons to orienteering and only really run on tracks and footpaths now.

Love it!

• Options
    It has made a difference to my thought process , I.am finding myself thinking of walks and routes I know from places I have been, today I really had to plan the route as it would have been easy to get lost in the forest, and spend hrs aimlessly going round in circles, 2morrow I am going for a run up and through epping forest and around high beech really looking forward to it ,
  • Options
    Someone on this thread - who hasn't been running for long - is now planning on running the Paris and London Marathons within a week of each other.

I don't wanna embarrass him just yet but, with his permission in due course, I want to post up a link to his Just Giving page. That is top, top work!
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    It has made a difference to my thought process , I.am finding myself thinking of walks and routes I know from places I have been, today I really had to plan the route as it would have been easy to get lost in the forest, and spend hrs aimlessly going round in circles, 2morrow I am going for a run up and through epping forest and around high beech really looking forward to it ,

Epping Forest is brilliant.  I'm back there next month for the annual Rodings Rally.  Perfect at this time of the year.

Let me know if you need a large scale map of the area.  I have one or two spares.

Bermuda Red ... not sure about that predictor.  The old rule of thumb was to double the distance and add on 10%.  That Runners' World predictor seems to underestimate full marathon times if you use real half marathon times, but maybe that's just me.

• Options
    I gave up Marathons some years ago. Just Snickers for me now......
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    anyone doing the Marathon next year? I'm not really a runner more a cyclist but have signed up to run for MENCAP, have an old knee injury so probably insane too. Any tips and sponsorship most welcome.

http://www.justgiving.com/barnies-London2012

:)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I got turned down by Barnardos but somone on clf recommended Whizz Kidz to me in February and I got a place at London through them - commit to raise £1600 for them, but if you don't you just lose your £100 deposit - I got about 2k (with gift aid) and let them kleep the deposit anyway.

So if anyone else thinking of London 2012 marathon I'd recommend checking out Whizz Kidz - and you don't need to fret too much if £1600 seems almost as daunting as 26.2 miles!

quite a few charities do this so its worth checking their website, it's what I did with MENCAP
  • Options
    anyone doing the Marathon next year? I'm not really a runner more a cyclist but have signed up to run for MENCAP, have an old knee injury so probably insane too. Any tips and sponsorship most welcome.

http://www.justgiving.com/barnies-London2012

:)
    Yep I have a place. I'm still not commiting to it yet as I'm struggling injury wise and really should have a few months off but I know once January comes around and the time to start thinking about it seriously I will not be able to resist running London in an Olympic year.
  • Options

Epping Forest is brilliant.  I'm back there next month for the annual Rodings Rally.  Perfect at this time of the year.

Let me know if you need a large scale map of the area.  I have one or two spares.

Bermuda Red ... not sure about that predictor.  The old rule of thumb was to double the distance and add on 10%.  That Runners' World predictor seems to underestimate full marathon times if you use real half marathon times, but maybe that's just me.

Yeah, I guess as it say's, its a predictor!  Can't say I can really put it to the test as times depend on nature of course, terrain & weather also.  So although I can plug in times to predict where I should be, I'm never really comparing apples with apples as our courses here are all different.  Try Yasso 800s for marathon prediction! I've done the Yasso's (named after Bart Yasso of RW) but not the marathon (yet).  Go to track, run 8-10 x800 metres with a jogged 400 in between. Take average of the 800s.  Say it's 3min:20sec, that should equate to a 3hr:20min marathon!! No science but his research based his numerous marathons and training programs suggested a strong relationship between the two!!
  • Options

Yay! Just found out I got through the ballot to take part in National Lottery Olympic Park run thing. I'll be amongst the very first (several 1000) people to cross the finishing line in the stadium next March.

Really pleased as I missed out on all the tickets and as Newham lad I've watched the stadium go up over the years on my visits back 'home'. I rarely get lucky like that too.

Anybody else in?

• Options
    well done BA! !
    I got rejected :-(
  • Options
    well done BA! !
    I got rejected :-(
    Bad luck Salad. Have you thought about the Newham 10k thing instead, that's normally about the same time and used to run up to the stadium? I was expecting it to be the first race into the Olympic park in fact, but guess the Lottery mob pulled rank.
  • Options
    Got rejected too: Also lost out on tickets....#SodTheOlympics !
  • Options
    edited November 2011

About 6 months ago I agreed to sign up for a charity run http://original.grimchallenge.co.uk/ - I'm about medium fitness but thought I had 6 months to train... About 2 months in, I fractured two ribs go-karting, so very much back to square one due to not being able to train at all.  Just back in training, very unfit, obviously only 4 weeks to go.

So (the reason for my post), any tips for quicker build up of stamina?  Need to build up the training a bit slowly rather than chuck myself in but feeling OK after an hour or so on the cross trainer last week and this, so going to try getting back into local Park Run 5k this Saturday.

Any help will be very appreciated in four week's time!!

• Options
    If anyone is interested in running the London Marathon in 2012, womankind worldwide have spaces  see womankindworldwide.org or whisper me