Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

jogging

Comments

• Options
    Jogging is an excellent idea, I could watch it all day !
  • Options
    I'm 27 and recently started running as well as have a baby on the way and has made me want to change my unfit lifestyle.

What worries me is that I can barely run 500 meters without being in agony. I know i'm unfit but surely I can't be that unfit! I just run round the local park which is flat but seems to be a lot more hardwork than a treadmill. I bought some running shoes which helps a lot but my lack of any sort of stamina really alarms me.
    I'd suggest slowing it down as you're maybe running instead of jogging?  If you're still having the same problem, walk if you have to, get your breath, and pick up again and keep repeating the process. Soon you'll find you're walking less and less. just remember, a gentle walk is better than stopping.

Oh, and another thing i find very important, and that's to regulate your breating, nice, slow, deep breaths, not panting (until you train yourself not to) people tend to breath in time with their steps which speeds the heart-rate, causing tiredness.
    Thanks for the reply.

Im definitely jogging, I think I full on sprint would see me self combust!

Thanks for the tip on breathing, that's not something I have ever paid attention to, apart from the fact that I am usually gasping after about a minute in.

What I will try this evening then is jogging then when that gets too much, change to a brisk walk and when I have recovered start jogging again and so forth.

Also could somebody recommend me one of these GPS watch things? Would love to track my progress somehow, would be quite motivating.
  • Options

Running is fine for the joints as long as you:

A) have proper trainers not plimsoles/fashion trainers

B) try and vary the distance/pace (worry about this one once you're established)

C) Don't run more than two days consecutively (of course plenty of people do, but I'm talking about managing risk here)

D) Stretch out afterwards.

E) Look where you're going and don't fall over/get run over.

For now I suggest sticking to the 2 miles, but look to run the same distance faster each time. Performance measurement is critical to improving fitness.

Running is far more effective a calorie burner than swimming, especially for overweight people, since fat floats.

Hope that helps,

Harry (Personal Trainer since 1997).

• Options
    edited July 2011
    +1 to getting a bike.

Used to run, done the Run To The Beat Half Marathon with AFKA & Co 2 or 3 years ago now, enjoyed it up to the point where my knees hurt.  Ended up buying a MTB in 2009, got addicted and bought a road bike last year and started taking the cycling a bit more seriously since 1st Jan this year.

Anyhow, with calorie comparisons between running and cycling.

Consider the following two.  Ok, both different Garmin units (I had a Forerunner 405 for running and now use an Edge 800 on my bikes).  The last run I did of any distance was back in 2009 now and it was a fraction short of 2 hours.  Put that alongside the nearest to 2 hour ride of done this year... 9 mins difference...

Nearly 2 hours of jogging:

http://connect.garmin.com:80/activity/embed/4542868

Just a fraction over 2 hours of cycling (including a Cat 4 climb):

http://connect.garmin.com:80/activity/embed/95932741

Of course, this isnt a scientific measured test but I burnt more calories on the bike in a similar amount of time.  I'd suggest that f you spend an hour doing each activity at the same heart rate, I would think you'd burn a very similar rate.

For me, its about fun.  When I used to run, I used to listen to the iPod.  I'd download a good few albums a week and put my mind to listening to every single one of them during that week.  Now, I break my cycling training up.  I cycle solo twice a week, do two or three interval sessions on the turbo to build up power and stamina and then I cycle two or three times a week with my cycling club.
    I'm 27 and recently started running as well as have a baby on the way and has made me want to change my unfit lifestyle.

What worries me is that I can barely run 500 meters without being in agony. I know i'm unfit but surely I can't be that unfit! I just run round the local park which is flat but seems to be a lot more hardwork than a treadmill. I bought some running shoes which helps a lot but my lack of any sort of stamina really alarms me.
    Have a look at the beginner running plans on Runners World.  I started with their 0-30min non stop running program in 6 weeks 3 or 4 years ago now.  Seriously, I couldnt even run around the block when I started that.  My friend started running 6 months ago, previously hated running and now he's running for 60mins non stop and does his first ever 10k in a few weeks.  Everyone has to start somewhere.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Nichorob; don't want to worry you but if you think your stamina is shit now then wait until after your kiddie comes along! Good time to be doing something about it - wish I had!
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice chaps, baby was due yesterday so not got that much time!
  • Options
    he'll lose weight stop shouting but he might feel like shit and it may put him off going regularly. just saying the bike riding is a better all round option. defo not trying to put him off.
    I know vg just having banter. As I'm new to this jogging game I know I need all the encouragement I can get. When I do something I'm unfamiliar with, if someone says I'm doing it wrong, my confidence is shot to bits. As you say, the bike could be an alternative option.
    I've seen you run. Normally when it's your round.
    ;o)
    Mate, your road is on my route. Be prepared for a little knock on the door in the next few days!
  • Options

NLA - If you have a smart phone/iphone get the RunKeeper app, it maps your route via GPS, it gives you times, distance etc. and you can save your times so as you progress you can see the improvement, also if you want to build explosive stamina try the 4 minute run, fast running (not quite sprinting) for 30 seconds, then 30 seconds walking, fast running for 30 seconds, walking 30 seconds, repeat this up to 4 minutes total (2 mintes fast running, 2 minutes walking). They tested this routine against someone who jogged for 2 miles a day and the people that did the sprint/walk training lost body weight faster and their lung capcity improved over regular joggers, I do this kind of training 'cos I have a knackered ankle (old football injury) and prolonged hard impact jogging murders it.

Whatever you choose to do keep it up, when its pissing with rain still go out!! Good Luck!

• Options

I felt really achey this morning but i felt a lot better for getting off my arse and doing something, Chizz Motivation enough in those pics well done mate top work, I cycle regularly with the kids, the other weekend did just under 40 miles along the River Lea out to Rye house and back, but it doesnt seem to do anything, might be the amount of beer consumed after the cycling,

Gonna really work at it, new trainers are a must so i will get them 2nite,

nephew will keep me in check so i wont fall away i reckon, got the night walk in mind for the cancer charity later on in the year so focus a must

• Options

my best mate is a long distance runner does the marathon in sub 3hrs. he has often tried to get me out with him!! the advice he gave me and those who know me know that i make chris moyles look skinny was this:

You CANNOT go from zero to running straight away you will do untold damage to yourself internally and externally. make a plan. week one walk around the block twice, or long enough to get a sweat on, 2 to 3 times a week, week two set a time limit and try to match or beat it twice around the block again 2 to 3 times a week. week 3 try a gentle jog  for one lap then walk the second lap do not set time limits, do this until you are comfortable getting around lap 1 with out to much huff and puff, then week 4 you can attemp jogging twice around the block and so on.. build up gradually and within a month or so your body will be ready to do some serious running. if you go from zero to running 2/3 miles you will get injured and could do some damage and give up running.

this is what he says and he has done back to back marthons and knows what he is on about.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2011

Adam

Good advice

• Options
    i find running tedious and get a stitch so quickly
  • Options
    I agree about the jogging. I shifted four stone with a combination of simply cutting back on the food and running. Went down from 15st to 11st, I'm around 12.5st now though. Been meaning to get back running again, but my left knee is shot. What I do in the meantime is walk up Primrose Hill then right round Regent's Park every lunch time (I work in Camden), then walk to Euston every evening after work, rather than just getting on the tube at Camden Town. I'm not losing weight, as such, but keeping it level and maintaining a bit of fitness.

I went running twice last week and I was absolutely f*cked afterwards.

What Adam above said is true. I went from zero to two miles last week - afterwards, stomach ache, muscle ache, knee ache, the lot. You do have to build it up slowly.
  • Options
    Just walked out to my kitchen for a sausage sandwich. Feel really full now.
    :o)
  • Options
    Just walked out to my kitchen for a sausage sandwich. Feel really full now.
    :o)
    That's the spirit. Maybe you could burn it off by walking to the Charcoal Burner!
  • Options
    Might get a bus there.
  • Options
    i bloody hate running.

Id rather do an evil spin class than run anywhere.  Hate it.
  • Options
    bren, my old boss Jacquie used to go to spin class twice a week, i guinenely thought it involved a room full of women in leotards standing on the spot and spininng like you did when you where a kid till you fell over, i had conversations with people into how exactly spinning makes you fit until one day there was an emercancy at work and i had to go to the gym to find her, and instead of women spinning like children i found a room full of odd bycyles and people having heart attacks! dont tell anyone tho because people will think im an idiot!!
  • Options
    As if we didn't think that already.
  • Options

Cheers Rich, have you chosen your new look wardbrobe for the 2011/12 season? these might be of interest

.image

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    i bloody hate running.

Id rather do an evil spin class than run anywhere.  Hate it.
    Are you Marcus Bent?
  • Options
    I use myfitnesstracker.com to keep track of my daily calories. I would recommend it highly!
  • Options

Cheers NLA and Stop Shouting, you've provided me with the spur to get off my ever growing backside and re-don the trainers and pound the pavement again.

Saw Stop Shouting on Friday and he was walking like he had just spent 12 months stranded on a desert island with the Harlem Globetrotters !

Bring it on !

• Options
    Anyone with an Android phone can use Endomondo for tracking their progress. Works with GPS in your phone.
  • Options

Smudge

when Joe first came along 10 years ago thursday, i wasnt as slim as i used to be but Large T shirts fitted and were loose, i felt pretty cool being his dad,

Scarlett i am so fecking big i feel terrible, i look at her and think i wont be able to do half the things i want to (and seeing all the Scrummers at the school again for the next 6 years i need to sort it out ;-)

Cant think of a better motivation than your 2 little ones mate

I know i am gonna work really hard at sticking this one out

• Options
    edited July 2011
    In my opinion there is not really any such thing as a diet. It is a lifestyle choice. Exercise is vital and people who try and lose weight just by dieting on food are likely to struggle. Instead, eating relatively healthily and exercising just becomes a lifestyle choice. There is no point in trying to crash diet to lose weight and then just fall back into your old ways. You need to try and develop decent eating habits combined with exercise which you can sustain on a permanent basis.

I effing hated running but I get a buzz off it now. One thing that has massively helped me is trying to incorporate it into my routine so it I am not just running for the sake of it. I am lucky enough to live 3 miles from my work; this is a distance but manageable distance so I can run it home most days. It's quicker than the bus or train or tube (takes between 18.5 and 19.5mins for me now), and I don't have to pay for it. So I get home quicker than I would on public transport, having done my exercise, so I don't lose any time doing it - I get home earlier AND don't need to drag myself back out to the gym or something. Obviously not everybody can do this if they have longer trips to work or whatever, but its just an idea, to try and fit it in so that you are getting more out of it than just the exercise. Really good if you live in London too where it can take ages to get relatively short distances in the car or on the bus. My boss is a Palace season ticket holder and he cycles to and from their games, about 8 miles each way.
  • Options

NLA (and any other aspiring runners), check this out: http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx  It's brilliant, builds you up slowly so it's achievable and you progress quite rapidly without doing yourself a mischief. 

Absolute must is to invest in a decent pair of running shoes by the way. Makes a lot of difference, plus you'll be more likely to stick it out

• Options

Try doing these

http://www.parkrun.com/home

5k time run every Saturday at a park (probably) near you. All ages and abilities - course record for my one (Norman Park, Bromley) is 15mins 30secs, but loads of people just jog round in 30 mins plus. Tea and biscuits and a chat at the end. All the times get posted on the internet same day. It's much more fun than just running on your own.

• Options

As a runner (can we stop calling it jogging?), I just had to chip in on this thread.

Having read thru' comments, I think you could safely say that a mixture of all of the above is the way to go.

Firstly the comment about cycling being the best average calorie burner/min is not true.  Running/walking is better.  The same energy is taken to run a mile as walk a mile, just running burns it off quicker as you cover the mile quicker.  If overweight I wouldn't use cycling as primary weight loss exercise, you'll need a weight bearing exercise.

That said, cross training is good, so mix it up (swim/cycle/run/core exercises).  This way you strengthen whole body, concentrating on just running will strengthen legs but cause an imbalance, this can lead to back issues etc so need good core routine also to maintain overall strength (push ups, planks, crunches etc). 

Diet is also important.  Wouldn't get into gps stuff initially.  Definitely start out slow over short distances and build up slowly.  Over doing it will cause damage.

Starting out is hard, but once into the groove it's great.  I hate it when I don't run now.

As some body pointed out Runner world web site has tons of info for new runners (schedules/diet/core exercises etc) 

Good luck and check back let us know how it's going

• Options

As a runner (can we stop calling it jogging?),

Trust me mate i aint running yet Jogging is just about do able