Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Cedric Evina - Confirmed Signing

edited June 2011 in General Charlton
http://www.southlondon-today.co.uk/Sport.cfm?id=21525&headline=Ex-Gunner%20Evina%20poised%20for%20Charlton

Left back rejected a contract offer from Oldham for personal reasons ("Manchester is a long way from home").

Comments

• What a strange article to have on the Oldham official website - it's basically summarising the activity of the entire division.
  • Seems as though he could be a good signing......looking forward to seeing who else we are after. Listened to Slater/Varney BBC radio apperance on CAFC Player about an hour ago.....sounds as though we are in for a few new players and trying to secure some of our out-of-contract players as well.
    Cautiously optimistic about the new season....but we need to see if any of these rumours are correct.....I just hope they are.
  • on sky sports as well

not sure if he is the answer to our issues at Left Back

... or the answer to our issues at Left Wing

• He should be paying us for rescuing him from Oldham. What a dump.

Wrote a blog about the place once and received death threats from narky northerners with no sense of humour and less sense of geography.

• Always crucial to have players who are capable in more than one position so if he is comfortable at lb and lm all the better...curbs always looked for it!
  • Always crucial to have players who are capable in more than one position so if he is comfortable at lb and lm all the better...curbs always looked for it!

Yes but we were really boring under Curbs - all that mid-table Premiership crap - no thanks!! 

• Oldham fan here. Not too gutted about Cedric leaving, I don't think we really needed him. I'm not quite sure his future lies at left back, his defensive ability is a bit iffy, however he's great going forward, has pace the burn, agile and can bang a ball pretty hard. So I see him more of a winger, and we have plenty of those, so not too fussed that he's left. I wish him well though, he's young and has potential, if he works hard he could end up at a higher level. Then again, I did say that Abbott would flourish at your place. :x

Good luck to you next season.
  • Oldham fan here. Not too gutted about Cedric leaving, I don't think we really needed him. I'm not quite sure his future lies at left back, his defensive ability is a bit iffy, however he's great going forward, has pace the burn, agile and can bang a ball pretty hard. So I see him more of a winger, and we have plenty of those, so not too fussed that he's left. I wish him well though, he's young and has potential, if he works hard he could end up at a higher level. Then again, I did say that Abbott would flourish at your place. :x

Good luck to you next season.
    Thanks for the update.  We could use a fast left winger who can hit the ball hard!  As long as he can occasionally go past the last man and know when to cross he sounds what we need....

Good luck to you too.
  • I would rather see Youga but he could fill in well
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2011

I hope we still get both another Left Back and Left Winger.I see Cedric as a versatile squad member not a regular.

A friend who is a sports journalist who covered Oldham last season said this

Absolutely rapid. No end product. He probably wasn't helped by the fact Oldham's strikers were useless, but I can't imagine him playing higher than League One. If he could utilize his pace better then he will be an asset, but I can't see it myself. Admittedly, I only saw him once.
  • That to me looks like the Mirror writer just read the SLP and thought that the failed bid meant that we moved on to sign Evina. No real inside info I reckon.
  • Pace at this level is a great commodity. Anyinsah didn't have his best game technically against Notts County but just being able to skin their players at every opportunity scared them. The end product we can work on. I'm happy enough to have Evina
  • wouldn't mind a player who we can chuck on when the defense is tired to run at them and cause problems!
  • His middle name is Yannick according to wikipedia so we look like we're getting hold of one Yannick this transfer window!

Sounds exciting but inconsistent. Probably as good as you can hope for with a young freebie in this league and should pay off as long as you can up the ratio of excitement to inconsistency.
  • We shouldn't forget that the coaching as a left back he gets from CP is likely to be as good as it gets.
  • Why not.  French full backs have gone so well for us.
  • wouldn't mind a player who we can chuck on when the defense is tired to run at them and cause problems!
    As last season progressed, I got increasingly baffled by the "Reeeedy" chants as he warmed up.  That combo of fast fresh legs against a tiring defence, but no end product, didn't get us anywhere, I thought.  Let's hope Evina gives us more than that - he surely can't give away as many free kicks.  In any case I'm not convinced that L1 defences are especially unfit these days....

• As last season progressed, I got increasingly baffled by the "Reeeedy" chants as he warmed up.  That combo of fast fresh legs against a tiring defence, but no end product, didn't get us anywhere, I thought.  Let's hope Evina gives us more than that - he surely can't give away as many free kicks.  In any case I'm not convinced that L1 defences are especially unfit these days....

Yeah but fit or unfit they will still struggle to keep up with him in a straight sprint, and reidy was good, for 4 games or so last year, the rest he was non existent.
  • Sponsored links:

• Interesting that the link has now been removed. Perhaps the boss got back and saw that his minions had been reading too much Heat before posting all that old tosh!
  • Surprised at the negativity once again

He's 19 - still learning.

He spent many years at the Arsenal academy and won the FA Youth cup with them.  Pace can't be taught - football can.  If he's naturally rapid then thats a great start - with some coaching who knows where we could end up

He's not the finished article but he could turn out to be a bit tasty.  He's not cost anything yet so what have we got to lose?

Lets be a bit realistic please chaps - it's another like Pritchard - cheap as chips and could unearth something special.  If it doesn't work then so be it but I have to say given Evina's past with Arsenal it's really quite a good upbringing!
  • edited June 2011
    What Swisdom said,  and if it doesn't work out you can always find a left back on loan from a division above.

Trying to think of loan left backs we've had- Jackson, Borrowdale, Bessone, McEveley probably had more but can't remember right now
  • What Swisdom said,  and if it doesn't work out you can always find a left back on loan from a division above.

Trying to think of loan left backs we've had- Jackson, Borrowdale, Bessone, McEveley probably had more but can't remember right now

And those three all pretty good, Bessone a bit more variable I guess. To me it's easier to pick out defenders on loan than strikers simply because they tend to be more consistent and you know what you're getting (mostly.)
  • I think it's also easier to pick up defenders on loan as teams tend to rotate their attacking options more often whereas the keeper/back four tends to stay fairly consistent for a decent side.

Strikers run in patches of form and you might find that some of those that hit the ground running in the early weeks barely double their tallies come May and are in and out of the side, less focus is put in positions such as full back... when a striker is struggling for form it is possibly the most obvious position to spot, except perhaps in goal and therefore attacking players tend to carry the can.
  • McEvely was absolute class

He was ok going forward but his defending was poor.

He was ok going forward but his defending was poor.

He looked like he gave a damn which is always a positive and he was coming back from a long injury lay-off. I'd happily have signed him full time based on what I saw.
  • Richard Cawley from SLP tweeting that deal is close to being completed this week despite interest from Huddersfield.
  • edited June 2011
    Evina and Frimpong must have spent a few years together in the same youth teams at Arsenal