Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

CAFC Transfer Story - Paul Hayes

Comments

• Your views are a bit lazy though - it isn't too hard or innacurate to say what has happened in recent years hasn't been good enough and because we have been failing for so long it isn't hard to predict it will continue but we should all be looking for the green shoots. For the club to start moving in the right direction, the mood off the pitch is going to play a part. It is clear that the board are putting in some cash and are trying to give it a go so as supporters it shouldn't be beyond us to respond to this and try to be a bit positive about it. Not to the point of arse licking but just being supporters. We can't be angry forever and things will change sometime -they always do. COYRS -Promotion next season.
  • edited June 2011

i'll get behind em at the ground, where it matters , and by renewing season tickets for my sons etc

but i'm not gonna talk about how brilliant everything is until i see it happening and i was very bullish last year and was completely wrong

i say it as i see it

and i fancy us top 8 atm

automatics 2% play offs 60% and more chances for the wafflers to carry on talking shit about how we're a league one club etc 38%

• Oohaar, Would I be right in saying you're a glass half empty type of chap?

Strange thing is I can see where you're coming from and we've constantly been let down with false dawns over the last few seasons.

But this is the NEW Charlton. Feel the love, Embrace it. Man hugs a plenty..............Go on Oohaar, Henry's waiting. ;-)
  • i'll get behind em at the ground, where it matters , and by renewing season tickets for my sons etc

but i'm not gonna talk about how brilliant everything is until i see it happening and i was very bullish last year and was completely wrong

i say it as i see it

and i fancy us top 8 atm

automatics 2% play offs 60% and more chances for the wafflers to carry on talking shit about how we're a league one club etc 38%

You sound bitter/hurt by last season. I think it left a sour taste in a lot of our mouth's (not talking about blowjobs again). My hope is that CP is not just thinking about "big names", he knows who he wants to fit his jigsaw and whilst we'll miss out on some, the contingency plan he has will see us having a team who is happy playing his style and not a bunch of misfits.

I can only see two of the team from last season in the starting 11 at the mo, JJ & BWP. 

• "I can only see two of the team from last season in the starting 11 at the mo, JJ & BWP. "

hope you're right with that Macro

• nice to see you to see you nice

Can I do you now sir

Oh you are awful but I like you

• nice to see you to see you nice

Can I do you now sir

Oh you are awful but I like you

That's great
  • I thought we were after Paul Hayes not Melvyn Hayes...
  • @RichCawleySLP: The other 10 per cent involved #pne sorting out some bits and pieces before Hayes deal can happen.”

@RichCawleySLP: Last I heard on Paul Hayes - regarding #cafc move - was that it was 90 per cent likely to happen.”
  • I haven't contributed to the discussion on how good Paul Hayes is or how he might fit in because, quite frankly, I haven't got a clue.  But it does amaze me how quickly people start slagging off players that they can't really have watched with any regularity unless they've been moonlighting as fans of other teams.

Just last week a new management structure was announced and the thread on this board was almost entirely positive.  What has changed in a week that we now don't trust the team of professionals that we have in place to make the right decisions?  Maybe the people that are critical on here really are positive and get behind the team at matches, but the sad fact is that many aren't.  There were several occasions last season when players were booed without kicking a ball.  I do not want that to happen again and I do not want to give the negative numpties any ammunition to turn on our players.

If the club wants Paul Hayes, then that's good enough for me.  Let's get behind the team from the start, not wait until August.
  • Sponsored links:

• well said stig. but i'll never forgive him for wearing a watford shirt at sparrows lane!

Booooooooo!

• Does any one get the feeling that the club are failing to get their first choice targets to join the club. With Chris saying he wanted all his signings in place by end of June for training, you would think by now we would have signed more players than we have, I get the feeling we are no longer seen as a good move for the best players in this division or for championship players. Same can be said for are current squad very little news about who has extende their contracts or signed new one`s except for the one or two who seemed to have trned the club down.

Why would this be the case.

• I agree msomerton - how we missed out on Henderson and Jones I have no idea.

Who have we actually "missed out" on, and who of note have any of our league rivals signed?

Maybe I'm just not paying attention but I can't think of anyone.

• Surely judging by the news/gossip columns, the vast majority of footballers are either on holiday now or away/just returning from international duty

Besides the high profile deals for Jones, Young and Henderson, all of which have been lined up for months, Young in particular... just who is making waves in the market anywhere?
  • june has only just begun.
  • edited June 2011
    MSSomerton said: "With Chris saying he wanted all his signings in place by end of June for
    training, you would think by now we would have signed more players than
    we have, I get the feeling we are no longer seen as a good move for the
    best players in this division or for championship players."

With contracts expiring end of June, for various reasons some clubs do not allow their outgoing players transfers to be announced before
    1st July.  That doesn't preclude agreements with players being made now, but no announcement will be made yet.

Expect a number of players' signings to be "officially" announced at the beginning of July.

• edited June 2011

Who have we actually "missed out" on, and who of note have any of our league rivals signed?

Some Jock bloke has gone to Huddersfield and a couple of freebies to Shef Wed, it's not exactly Lloyd's out there in the market is it?!
  • Does any one get the feeling that the club are failing to get their first choice targets to join the club. With Chris saying he wanted all his signings in place by end of June for training, you would think by now we would have signed more players than we have, I get the feeling we are no longer seen as a good move for the best players in this division or for championship players. Same can be said for are current squad very little news about who has extende their contracts or signed new one`s except for the one or two who seemed to have trned the club down.

Well in fairness if I was in the game I wouldn't view going to Charlton as a good move, a team that has finished about six seasons in a row in a lower league position and just finished bottom half of league one? It's hardly appealing
  • Does any one get the feeling that the club are failing to get their first choice targets to join the club. 

No.
  • edited June 2011

Does any one get the feeling that the club are failing to get their first choice targets to join the club. With Chris saying he wanted all his signings in place by end of June for training, you would think by now we would have signed more players than we have, I get the feeling we are no longer seen as a good move for the best players in this division or for championship players. Same can be said for are current squad very little news about who has extende their contracts or signed new one`s except for the one or two who seemed to have trned the club down.

Well in fairness if I was in the game I wouldn't view going to Charlton as a good move, a team that has finished about six seasons in a row in a lower league position and just finished bottom half of league one? It's hardly appealing
    You're right that in itself is not appealing, but we are in League 1 competing for League 1 players.  OK, there may be some that are on the cusp of L1/Championship but mostly the clubs we'll be competing with will be in similar positions to us; either historically smaller clubs or others that have struggled in recent seasons.  There are lots of reasons to be positive though:
     - Better location than most clubs in our division.
     - Better stadium than most clubs in our division.
     - Better training facilities than most clubs in our division.
     - Bigger crowds that most clubs in our division.
     - More interesting history than most clubs in our division.
     - Young manager with a pedigree as an international player and a history of PFA involvement.
     - New management structure.
     - Probably more money to spend than other clubs in our division (obviously excepting the mighty Rochdale).

We've got a lot going for us.

• Sponsored links:

• I think the reality is that players are paid by their clubs until 30th June and therefore those out of contract feel that they don't have to do anything until then and are assessing their options. They know if they look to sign for a new club in late June /early July (once pre-season training starts) they haven't lost out on anything and feel they may be in a better position, if anything, as clubs will be desperate to get signings and may even increase their offers................

Now, if I was in charge (either as a manager or a chairman), I would play it differently. I would tell player x that if he signs NOW then he would get, say £3k per week, but if he stalls and comes back to us on July 1st, then the deal would be, say £2,500 wk - reducing by £100 wk as every week passes.

You may lose a player over this, but we need to build a squad now and have it ready for the beginning of July, and not, like the last few years, still trying to fill in the final bits of the jigsaw during august.

• edited June 2011
    To be honest though it looks as if Hayes will sign say within 7 days.  If this centre half deal can also cross the line, which I suppose has a higher element of doubt...

When was the last time that in mid-June we had made three key first team additions to the spine of the team by mid-June? Even two is impressive. One is a start.

I think some are getting very jittery because we all know what a disaster last year was and all want to start a new season win a few games and get that buzz back asap.
  • If Golfie was our Manager   ................   No don't go there   :-)
  • A striker who never scores will continue a fine Charlton tradition.

All we need is 10 athletic gorillas who can get the ball to BWP and we will make the play-offs anyway, so stop worrying.

• so why can't transfers be announced until the beginning of july, if players are leaving then what's the problem in announcing it?
  • so why can't transfers be announced until the beginning of july, if players are leaving then what's the problem in announcing it?
    I don't believe there are any rules on when announcements can be made. We've announced the signing of Danny Hollands on a pre-contract agreement because it's been signed, whereas Semedo/Racon's futures haven't been decided yet.
  • Because the outgoing club still owns the player's registration, he's still their player.

They might not want it made public until it suits them.
    They've no doubt got their own set of jittery, negative, moaning fans and might need to get a replacement in first.
  • Well said Stig - let's not get ahead of ourselves....it's still only early June and most players are on holiday.  I am encouraged that we appear to be making moves earlier in the season than has been traditional for Charlton in recent years!

Let's see where we are in a month, eh?

Until then, I'm with tango and am just going to 'enjoy the love' and be optimistic (rightly or wrongly) that the right things are happening behind the scenes....

• Yes,we seem to be making pro-active bids for players - If that isn't positive I don't know what is. The point was well made that you aren't seeing lots of deals across the board and activity will inevitably step up. This is the time when players/managers are on holiday so it is later in the month, when they return, that we can expect to see activity. 
  • Yes,we seem to be making pro-active bids for players - If that isn't positive I don't know what is. The point was well made that you aren't seeing lots of deals across the board and activity will inevitably step up. This is the time when players/managers are on holiday so it is later in the month, when they return, that we can expect to see activity. 
    Absolutely. It's all going to kick off big time soon enough.

With less than 3 weeks until players report for pre-season (June 30th) and the first game just 4 weeks away, it's going to be manic.