Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Doctor Who Thread......

Comments

• Options
    rina said:
    new doctor randomly announced on twitter a couple of hours ago 
    I have no idea who he is but he’s very pleasing on the eye 😊
    He's gay, you're out the running  ;)
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Very good actor - good casting. Will be interesting to see what he brings to the role.
  • Options
    I've not seen him in anything, so I don't have any pre-conceptions at this point. I just remember there being lots of disgruntlement when Matt Smith was cast ("too young" etc) and he turned out really well, so I'll wait to see how he does.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    So it’s in decline so the only thing that can save them is making the a gay, Scottish-Rwandan black guy.

im all for change but are we not in danger of going too far to please everyone?
    I am confused. 

Is Doctor Who going to be a gay Scottish-Rwandan black guy then or is the actor who plays him a gay Scottish-Rwandan black guy? 
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    I've not seen him in anything, so I don't have any pre-conceptions at this point. I just remember there being lots of disgruntlement when Matt Smith was cast ("too young" etc) and he turned out really well, so I'll wait to see how he does.
    Matt Smith was possibly my favourite Doctor.

I'm tempted to watch the new series, haven't watched since midway through Peter Capaldi as lost a bit of interest, but Russell T Davies coming back could be interesting.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Swisdom said:
    So it’s in decline so the only thing that can save them is making the a gay, Scottish-Rwandan black guy.

I am confused. 

Is Doctor Who going to be a gay Scottish-Rwandan black guy then or is the actor who plays him a gay Scottish-Rwandan black guy? 
    The actor is and I think it's safe to say Dr Who will be black as well.
    Whether Dr Who is gay remains to be seen and I doubt he'll be from Rwanda, but you never know.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    DA9 said:
    The writing let Jodie Whittaker down, turned off the last episode, sea monster special, awful 
    Glad Russell T Davies is back as well, I would’ve preferred Richard Ayeode (sic) as the doctor 
    The Sea Devils should have been a gift as they are classic baddies but they cocked it up. There is always a danger with Doctor Who that it starts to get too much up its own backside, It needs to get close to the line but not be tempted to cross it.

We all know it is nonsense but the skill is forgetting it is.  I thought Jodie Whittaker captured the spirit of the doctor quite well. Ecclestone and Tennant were great doctors but had good storylines. Smith could have been great but the stories lost their way. John Bishop doesn't work and much as I like him, Bradley Walsh didn't work either. IMO.

If I was writing the new series, I would have a female actress, not a comedian, as his helper but have a situation where she is the enemy of the doctor but find a circumstance where she has to work with him. I think one of the great characters in Sci-fi was Avon in Blake's 7. Complex and could have been a baddy as easily as a goody. 
  • Options
    Hopefully having Davies back to write the scripts will lead to a resurgence. 

Forget whoever plays the doctor, at the end of the day you want an exciting story with a goody and a baddy, that the kids can also understand. 

No more of the doctor having to explain what is going on to her sidekicks as the story is so convoluted 
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

Or maybe he’s a very talented actor and comedian who has built up a big following of younger viewers? Do you have a problem with a gay black man getting the role? 

Personally I think it’s a pretty shrewd move. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Swisdom said:

There’s no reason why it shouldn’t be a gay, Scottish-Rwandan black guy. A time travelling alien is just as likely to regenerate into that as anything else. 
    Statistically speaking, and assuming one can apply probability to alien life form, it would be much more likely that Dr. Who would regenerate as a heterosexual Chinese man rather than a gay Scottish-Rwandan black man. The probability of the latter is very low indeed.

However, at the BBC altar of diversity, anything is probable (Malapropism intended)..
  • Options
    IAgree said:
    Swisdom said:

There’s no reason why it shouldn’t be a gay, Scottish-Rwandan black guy. A time travelling alien is just as likely to regenerate into that as anything else. 
    Statistically speaking, and assuming one can apply probability to alien life form, it would be much more likely that Dr. Who would regenerate as a heterosexual Chinese man rather than a gay Scottish-Rwandan black man. The probability of the latter is very low indeed.

However, at the BBC altar of diversity, anything is probable (Malapropism intended)..
    He’s a fictional sci fi character from Gallifrey 😂 would you be more comfortable if he were a 30s, middle class, white, Englishman?

What you are implying is that he was chosen because he is gay & black, rather than on merit and that this suits some agenda at the BBC. However go and actually read some reviews on the this actor, watch his work and speak to anyone who has seen him perform and you will see that he is actually very talented, with a large following.

You comments essentially discount talent and merit simply because he is gay and black, which I would suggest say more about your own fears and prejudices than anything else 
    I have no doubt that he is a supremely talented actor. He may be the best there is. He may be absolutely right for the role. 

But yes, I definitely am implying that he was probably chosen because of the breadth of diversity he will bring to the latest reincarnation of Dr. Who. It's the stated policy of the BBC and embedded in every material decision they make:-

"At the BBC we are committed to creating an inclusive workforce, by reflecting and representing the diversity of the UK. The BBC is for everyone and should include everyone whatever their background.

We are a diverse organisation and have much to be proud of, but we are also challenging ourselves to ensure that Diversity and Inclusion is hardwired into everything the BBC does.

If we get it right, it will be evident in how we work with our audiences, our people and our partners

It is extremely unlikely that his diversity played no part in the casting decision. To say it wasn't is to deny reality and the policy statement of the BBC. What you wouldn't have read in my post is that I have an issue with that - that's an implication you have created... 
  • Options
    IAgree said:
    Swisdom said:

He’s a fictional sci fi character from Gallifrey 😂 would you be more comfortable if he were a 30s, middle class, white, Englishman?

What you are implying is that he was chosen because he is gay & black, rather than on merit and that this suits some agenda at the BBC. However go and actually read some reviews on the this actor, watch his work and speak to anyone who has seen him perform and you will see that he is actually very talented, with a large following.

You comments essentially discount talent and merit simply because he is gay and black, which I would suggest say more about your own fears and prejudices than anything else 
    I have no doubt that he is a supremely talented actor. He may be the best there is. He may be absolutely right for the role. 

But yes, I definitely am implying that he was probably chosen because of the breadth of diversity he will bring to the latest reincarnation of Dr. Who. It's the stated policy of the BBC and embedded in every material decision they make:-

"At the BBC we are committed to creating an inclusive workforce, by reflecting and representing the diversity of the UK. The BBC is for everyone and should include everyone whatever their background.

We are a diverse organisation and have much to be proud of, but we are also challenging ourselves to ensure that Diversity and Inclusion is hardwired into everything the BBC does.

If we get it right, it will be evident in how we work with our audiences, our people and our partners

It is extremely unlikely that his diversity played no part in the casting decision. To say it wasn't is to deny reality and the policy statement of the BBC. What you wouldn't have read in my post is that I have an issue with that - that's an implication you have created... 
    No the implication was all yours.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Stig said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Swisdom said:

I am confused. 

Whether Dr Who is gay remains to be seen and I doubt he'll be from Rwanda, but you never know.
    Think he'll still be from Gallifrey ;)
    Except according to one of the episodes in Jodie Whitaker's run, he wasn't from there originally either ;) Some gubbins about a wormhole or something.

ETA: and while I'm being pedantic, @JiMMy 85, Ian McKellen WAS openly gay before accepting the role of Magneto. He came out in the late 80s, and was active in the campaign against Section 28, and involved in setting up Stonewall.
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    Stig said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Swisdom said:

I am confused. 

Think he'll still be from Gallifrey ;)
    Except according to one of the episodes in Jodie Whitaker's run, he wasn't from there originally either ;) Some gubbins about a wormhole or something.

ETA: and while I'm being pedantic, @JiMMy 85, Ian McKellen WAS openly gay before accepting the role of Magneto. He came out in the late 80s, and was active in the campaign against Section 28, and involved in setting up Stonewall.
    Oh was he really? I thought he was much later than that! Thanks for the heads up. Might’ve mixed him up with someone else. 
  • Options
    Ncuti Gatwa was brilliant in Sex Education, I think he'll make a great Dr Who.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Breaking news  .
    It's all bollox. 
    In order to please the easily offended. 

Jacob Reec  Mogg is going to be the new James bond. 

Av that you woke mugs. 
    Oh dear………
  • Options
    I thought Ace was the one with a Charlton badge? Not clearly seen it yet.
  • Options
    It's there
  • Options
    didn't expect that ending. is it some sort of prediction that Boris is coming back?
  • Options
    I thought Ace was the one with a Charlton badge? Not clearly seen it yet.
    It was in an episode where she's reading the scores in a news paper and excitably days "Charlton got 3 points"

So Ace is a Charlton fan 
  • Options
    A lousy era, but a reasonably good closer. 

It will be interesting to see David back next year before the proper next Doctor takes over
  • Options
    Is Tennant just there for one episode and then handing over ? 
  • Options
    "BBC: David Tennant and Catherine Tate are going to reprise their roles for three episodes of #DoctorWho in November 2023."

"Ncuti Gatwa will then “take control of the TARDIS” and his first episode will air over that year’s festive period."