Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Doctor Who Thread......

Comments

• This week's episode of Doctor Who was brought to you by Extinction Rebellion and the letters W, O, K and E.

Dracula was brilliant by the way. Claes Bang and Dolly Wells were unbelievably good. 
  • Rizzo said:
    This week's episode of Doctor Who was brought to you by Extinction Rebellion and the letters W, O, K and E.

Dracula was brilliant by the way. Claes Bang and Dolly Wells were unbelievably good. 
    you would never think he was Danish from watching Dracula. 
  • Only thing good about watching this week's DW was my struggle and eventual triumph in remembering where I'd seen the actress playing Kane before (Lydia from Breaking Bad but also the blacksmith in A Knight's Tale).
  • Certainly agree they should stop box-ticking ‘social issues’. 
  • stonemuse said:
    Certainly agree they should stop box-ticking ‘social issues’. 
    Whilst agreeing with you I thought the Rosa Parkes and the Punjab episodes were superbly done. 
    Suppose it is difficult to balance fact with fiction within a 40 minute show. 
  • stonemuse said:
    Certainly agree they should stop box-ticking ‘social issues’. 
    Whilst agreeing with you I thought the Rosa Parkes and the Punjab episodes were superbly done. 
    Suppose it is difficult to balance fact with fiction within a 40 minute show. 
    Yup, those two stood out. 
  • After reading that article went onto iplayer and watched "Heaven Sent"" again.
    Brilliant episode, though probably not one to show someone who hadn't seen Dr Who before. 
    Or, maybe, it would be.
  • Needs more Daleks. Wouldn't say no to a Sea Devil or two either.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2021
    Reckon they've hit the nail on the head there. The move to Sundays was indicative of the lack of confidence the BBC has in it. 

It's an institution. Get a showrunner who gets it but can take it forward at the same time, like Davies and to a degree Moffat. Chibnell's era seems to have been largely one of apologising it wasn't more woke in the past. As if a 1000 year old alien needs to be 'woke' - just needs to be wise and avoid misogyny and racism etc. (although never going to like them Daleks - they come down to our planet, fail to assimilate, can barely speak the language, etc...).

I liked someone's previous suggestion of Miriam Margolyes, she'd be amazing, but it just needs someone who recognises each doctor is both different and the same. 

That, and the Beeb to believe in it a little. If they don't think it's up to scratch, work on it until it is. 

Edit: loved Sacha Dhawan's Master incidentally - that was a casting they got absolutely right.
  • I'd give Stephen Mulhern the role of the doctor as I feel he lacks exposure on tv :)
  • rikofold said:
    Reckon they've hit the nail on the head there. The move to Sundays was indicative of the lack of confidence the BBC has in it. 

It's an institution. Get a showrunner who gets it but can take it forward at the same time, like Davies and to a degree Moffat. Chibnell's era seems to have been largely one of apologising it wasn't more woke in the past. As if a 1000 year old alien needs to be 'woke' - just needs to be wise and avoid misogyny and racism etc. (although never going to like them Daleks - they come down to our planet, fail to assimilate, can barely speak the language, etc...).

I liked someone's previous suggestion of Miriam Margolyes, she'd be amazing, but it just needs someone who recognises each doctor is both different and the same. 

That, and the Beeb to believe in it a little. If they don't think it's up to scratch, work on it until it is. 

Edit: loved Sacha Dhawan's Master incidentally - that was a casting they got absolutely right.
    Oh my word Miriam 😳
    I would love to see that 😍
  • I have been educated by the last couple of Doctors, (okay, the writing of....), including the Brothers Grimm and the "Bird/Shepherd" story, Rosa, Punjab, etc.
    Personally I have no idea where the show should go next, whilst loving the program since the reboot with Christopher Eccleston, I have enjoyed all the episodes since. Alot of people apparently didn't like the fact the Doctor became a woman, I'm of the opinion that that doesn't matter, the Doctor is an alien.
    Although I wasn't to keen on Danny Pink, although that may be my fault,  I thought he wasn't good enough for Clara......

😉
  • Couldn’t give a toss if it’s a woman but do care about boring preachy storylines or stories where the Doctor has to basically explain what is going on to her sidekicks. 

Jodie Whitaker is a great actress being wasted in a role that could be so good. 

Personally didn’t like Rosa Parks episode. 

Just get back to exciting stories fighting aliens 
  • So that it is must watch family viewing 
  • edited August 2021
  • I completely disagree that the show lacks decent promotion from the BBC. The last 2 series have had plenty of publicity and a prime slot on Sunday, the biggest night of the week for drama, but ratings have dropped off because the show in its current format isn’t interesting viewers.
  • MrOneLung said:
    Couldn’t give a toss if it’s a woman but do care about boring preachy storylines or stories where the Doctor has to basically explain what is going on to her sidekicks. 

Jodie Whitaker is a great actress being wasted in a role that could be so good. 

Personally didn’t like Rosa Parks episode. 

Just get back to exciting stories fighting aliens 
    To me the Rosa episode was a potentially excellent drama documentary shoehorned into a Doctor Who episode, and as a result a bit of a hotchpotch 
  • 8 years ago.......why does time fly by.......
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2021
    Kids not interested in watching it this series after the last ‘boring’ series so not seen them. Have they been any good- worth watching on catch up ? 
  • MrOneLung said:
    Kids not interested in watching it this series after the last ‘boring’ series so not seen them. Have they been any food - worth watching in catch up ? 
    No.
  • 8 years ago.......why does time fly by.......
    Is that you on the right, Miserableoodgit 😉
  • I've thought this series better than the previous 2. Less preachy, and more action and drama
  • I’m enjoying it - Sontarans, Angels, very timey wimey. I’m interested to see how they pull all the threads back together in the last episode. 
  • I know I am getting rather old and out of touch, but what the fuck is woke?
    Also, in what world can the BBC be described as left-wing?

Back on topic, Capaldi was crap and so is JW.
    If Dr.Who has to be a woman ( which it doesn't, stop pissing about for pc sake) offer the role to Emma Thompson, she'd be dynamite

Dr Who doesn't have to be played by a woman but an alien that regenerates a different body every few years doesn't have to be played by a man either.

The problem is the writing, which is of the "let's throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks" variety, and having three assistants which instantly says "we have no faith in the person playing our lead character".

If Dr.Who has to be a woman ( which it doesn't, stop pissing about for pc sake) offer the role to Emma Thompson, she'd be dynamite

Dr Who doesn't have to be played by a woman but an alien that regenerates a different body every few years doesn't have to be played by a man either.

The problem is the writing, which is of the "let's throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks" variety, and having three assistants which instantly says "we have no faith in the person playing our lead character".
    Yeh, I'm sure you're right.
    I remember thinking Peter Capaldi was an inspired choice, but when I watched him in the role I thought he was rubbish.
    Similarly, I had always been impressed by Jodie Whittaker in other roles.
    On the admittedly few occasions I have watched her as the Doctor, I agree it has been top heavy with assistants. But what struck me was she didn't in any way stand out from them.
    Maybe as you say that is down to the writing, but she just seemed to me to lack charisma or gravitas in the role.

Yeh, I'm sure you're right.
    I remember thinking Peter Capaldi was an inspired choice, but when I watched him in the role I thought he was rubbish.
    Similarly, I had always been impressed by Jodie Whittaker in other roles.
    On the admittedly few occasions I have watched her as the Doctor, I agree it has been top heavy with assistants. But what struck me was she didn't in any way stand out from them.
    Maybe as you say that is down to the writing, but she just seemed to me to lack charisma or gravitas in the role.
    She's actually done better in this regard in the latest series, probably not coincidentally the plot has had her separate from the companions quite a lot. 

I don't think she was done any favours by the overall plot being about finding out mysteries and things as it means this Doctor comes across as much less knowledgeable/inspiring than previous ones - which isn't actually because now the Doctor is female but seems to accidentally imply it. 
  • I’m a massive fan.
    But since Matt Smith, this new lot has gone down hill dramatically & it’s definitely imho down to the writing.
     I’m literally only watching so I can understand it all again when Russell T Davies comes back.