Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Neil Etheridge signs as GK on emergency loan (2011)

edited November 2014 in General Charlton
O/S

Elliot out tonight, Worner expected to start despite suffering dead leg on Saturday, NE on bench

21 year-old from Fulham, has been named on bench but never made a PL appearance... former England youth international

Comments

• Neil Leonard Dula Etheridge (born 7 February 1990) is an English–Filipino professional footballer who plays as a goalkeeper for Fulham. He also represents the Philippines at international level, after being a former England school boys international.
  • Sorry might have been a bit premature, the O/S does not explicitly state that Elliot is out, merely that Worner is "expected to be fit" and NE will travel to MK.

I imagine therefore that subject to a varying range of probability, all three might have some chance of starting.
  • does this count as 1 of our 2 loans? If it does then that's it, season over i'm afraid.
  • Yes it "counts" but it's only a matchday squad limit of five.

Therefore, assuming Elliot and Worner are 100% fit within the next couple of weeks he will no longer be needed in the matchday squad. Also bear in mind Fry's loan is up in a fortnight as well.
  • This is not good news, been to see Fulham 3/4 times this season this guy warming up is a clown who couldnt catch a cold no matter a football - ok its only in the warm up but ive not seen him make a save in that time, he also is the guy trusted with collecting all the balls after the warm up - somthing he also struggles with!! I fear for the worst if he starts over worner
  • I guess this means we are not looking at a experienced keeper on loan and CP must be happy with Elliot.
  • Utter waste of time, money and effort.

Might as well have used one of the kids and if they aren't trusted Roberts would be fine on the bench.
  • [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]Sorry might have been a bit premature, the O/S does not explicitly state that Elliot is out, merely that Worner is "expected to be fit" and NE will travel to MK.

I imagine therefore that subject to a varying range of probability, all three might have some chance of starting.

Elliot hinted on Twitter that he would be out for around 3 weeks.
  • Roberts played for Yeovil this season and surely would have been a better choice to sit on the bench.

If we were bringing someone in to play first team fair enough, but this seems a waste of a loan.
  • edited March 2011
    I'd rather Gough or Hall than a young loanee keeper
  • Sponsored links:

• pretty much what I thought re. your first comment Clem

In all likelihood he's just here to sit on the bench as Worner seems likely to be patched up
  • Seems to be exactly the same as when Daniels was here earlier in the season; someone to sit on the bench. I'm sure Brandon Hall has been on the bench at some point this season, why waste a loan/possibly some wages when a) we have enough keepers to cover Elliot's injury and b) the keeper we're bringing in has probably not been brought in with first team football in mind. Might indicate Powell's not confident with the younger keepers.
  • It is likely the young keepers have been told whether they are going to be kept on next season.

Binks had been told he would be released around this time last year so maybe Powell knows they are not going to be part of the squad next year and therefore not god enough/not ready for any first team action.
  • Underwhelming but necessary.
  • Ben Roberts has retired as a player, on retirement he would have recieved a pay out from his pension I believe, to be eligible to play again he would have to register as a player which would mean he has to pay that back, so that was a non-starter.
  • Can't we try Francis in goal?
  • Probably makes no difference, but would this be seen as a good signing if this was a young keeper from say Liverpool or Arsenal, rather than Fulham?
  • I need some help here

I keep reading people saying "why use 1 of our loans up on a goalkeeper. We only have 1 loan left now"

I thought the rule was you could have 5 loan players in your matchday 18. If that is the case then surely with bessone & fry currently out injured we only have Ecclestone & now Etheridge in our matchday 18?? Surely that means there is still room for 3 more loan players in the matchday squad? Add to that the fact that Etheridge will probably only be on the bench for a couple of games until both keepers have recovered we are still ok to bring 2 or 3 loan players in??

Am I correct in saying this or have I totally misunderstood the loan rule??
  • [cite]Posted By: Chrissy\\\'s Army!![/cite]I need some help here

I keep reading people saying "why use 1 of our loans up on a goalkeeper. We only have 1 loan left now"

I thought the rule was you could have 5 loan players in your matchday 18. If that is the case then surely with bessone & fry currently out injured we only have Ecclestone & now Etheridge in our matchday 18?? Surely that means there is still room for 3 more loan players in the matchday squad? Add to that the fact that Etheridge will probably only be on the bench for a couple of games until both keepers have recovered we are still ok to bring 2 or 3 loan players in??

Am I correct in saying this or have I totally misunderstood the loan rule??

Thats what I thought too, you can have as many on loan as you want, but only the five in a matchday squad
  • It doesn't matter anyway - because he is not Gigi Buffon it is just another sign that the board have written off the season.

Who cares how many we get in when we can only attract a premiership 3rd choice keeper when given 2 working days to sort it out!
  • Sponsored links:

• [quote][cite]Posted By: creepyaddick[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Chrissy\\\'s Army!![/cite]I need some help here

Am I correct in saying this or have I totally misunderstood the loan rule??[/quote]

Thats what I thought too, you can have as many on loan as you want, but only the five in a matchday squad[/quote]

I am unsure if loanees are unlimited but you can have a number in the club but only five in the match day squad. Fairly certain that you can have 7 players on loan at least in the team as long as they are not all in the match day squad.

For the home play off semi final sodje signed permanent so on loan fry could sit on the bench as we were low on numbers
  • 7 is the maximum, 5 in the squad, so no, it's not a waste as some people are saying. Also, has anyone thought of the possibility that no we can't get a Liverpool or Arsenal goalkeeper in on loan, because we asked and have already said no?! Jesus, I would guess Powell has spent more than 5 minutes finding someone in 2 days to sit on the bench for tonight, and this isn't just the very first person he tried!
  • Ive seen Hall a few times this season, looks a very good prospect..........but then again i thought Gough was too!

Confused of South London
  • [cite]Posted By: davy macaddick[/cite]Ive seen Hall a few times this season, looks a very good prospect..........but then again i thought Gough was too!

Confused of South London

I've seen Hall 2 or 3 times and he's looked excellent. Really sharp and imposing too
  • Or maybe it just shows that it's incredibly difficult to get anyone to come on loan to an out of form League 1 club, rather than that the board have written off the season.
  • [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: davy macaddick[/cite]Ive seen Hall a few times this season, looks a very good prospect..........but then again i thought Gough was too!

Confused of South London

I've seen Hall 2 or 3 times and he's looked excellent. Really sharp and imposing too
    Will be interesting to find out who will be here next season out of those two (or none). Not sure we'll keep both on.
  • [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: davy macaddick[/cite]Ive seen Hall a few times this season, looks a very good prospect..........but then again i thought Gough was too!

Confused of South London

Will be interesting to find out who will be here next season out of those two (or none). Not sure we'll keep both on.

Maybe not - but of the two I'd say Hall is the better keeper. Gough strikes me as a big fella who isn't good enough to play on pitch so got lumped in goal and has grown into it. Hall looked muchmore assured and pulled off two stunning saves when I saw him last
  • We've got one young, inexperienced keeper. Why do we need to take another one on loan? Surely if they have no confidence in Worner then we're better going for an Andy Marshall type rather than this bloke?
  • edited March 2011
    Neil Ethridge has been the 1st choice goalkeeper for the Philippine Men's National Team (fondly called Azkals) since his first debut in the 2008 AFC Challenge Cup Group B Qualifiers. He kept a clean sheet on all 3 matches. PHL was tied in points with Tajikistan and lost on goal differences.

On the 2010 AFF Suzuki Cup. The PHL had its best ever run in recent history by reaching the Semi-Finals. In the Group stage PHL tied Singapore 1-1, beat Vietnam (current title holder) 2-0, Draw Myanmar 0-0. Due to some internal politicking with the country PFF. The then ousted PFF President (but still recoginzed by AFC & FIFA) decided on his own to award Indonesia our Home semi-finals game. PHL went on to concede a goal on both matches to Indonesia. Who just happened to be the tournaments highest goal scorers.

Neil Ethridge got a clean sheet last Feb 8 against Mongolia at Home: PHL 2 -0 Mongolia. On the 1st leg 2012 AFC Challenge Cup Pre-Qualifiers. It is unfortunate the Ethridge would not be able join the Azkals on the 2nd leg Away match at Mongolia this March 15. Due to commitments with Fulham and now with Charlton Athletic.
  • [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]

Confused of South London

Having seen both - my money is on the 'big fella' Gough - much more potential there.

Maybe not - but of the two I'd say Hall is the better keeper. Gough strikes me as a big fella who isn't good enough to play on pitch so got lumped in goal and has grown into it. Hall looked muchmore assured and pulled off two stunning saves when I saw him last